For Pakistan, terrorism is a state-sponsored business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
    AJ has been on watch I guess, and the Government was waiting for the right time to cut the cord. I thought he's an Indian by ethnicity.
    https://thewire.in/media/indian-govt...rity-clearance

Says their clearance was set to expire in 2018 anyway. It hasn't been revoked, it just hasn't been renewed. The article also goes on to say other channels also haven't had their clearance renewed

Some other channels who have been rejected security clearances recently include ABC News, Voice of Nation, Focus NE TV, Jhankar News, Maa TV, Bhakti Sagar, M Tunes and Lemon News, according to the Economic Times.

I won't miss the chanel for sure.
    What i understood is security clearance is only required to report from Arunachal & Kashmir. Doesn't mean the channel cannot broadcast in India

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
      https://thewire.in/media/indian-govt...rity-clearance

Says their clearance was set to expire in 2018 anyway. It hasn't been revoked, it just hasn't been renewed. The article also goes on to say other channels also haven't had their clearance renewed

What i understood is security clearance is only required to report from Arunachal & Kashmir. Doesn't mean the channel cannot broadcast in India
      That's what we hear. :D
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

That's what we hear. :D
        Broadcasting license hasn't been cancelled yet

https://www.financialexpress.com/wor...india/1291234/

When contacted, a Home Ministry official said it is the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting which takes the decision on the issue of broadcasting licence given to any media outlet.

“Our role is limited to matters related to security clearance. The decision on cancellation of broadcasting licence will be taken by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting,” the official said.
        In any case an appeal has been lodged and a final decision is pending

Comment

India to pursue international ban on JeM chief Masood Azhar with US
          Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Looks like we're laying the groundwork for a Chinese vote in our favour on this subject, whenever the time is right

Comment

Looks like we're laying the groundwork for a Chinese vote in our favour on this subject, whenever the time is right
              Yes. We are sending a team to Pak to talk about water sharing too. We talk, and they burst bombs in our cities, or kill on the LoC, IB. How nice nah? All those right-wing bhakts should go kill themselves.

Comment

Yes. We are sending a team to Pak to talk about water sharing too. We talk, and they burst bombs in our cities, or kill on the LoC, IB. How nice nah? All those right-wing bhakts should go kill themselves.
                I think this is just normal protocol with the new GOP. Yes, there is no point of talking but not talking allows a free fall for things to get worse. That's what we're trying to avoid.

Comment

I think this is just normal protocol with the new GOP. Yes, there is no point of talking but not talking allows a free fall for things to get worse. That's what we're trying to avoid.
                  Isn't it the oft-repeated - rinse & repeat formula? I have a feeling whatever we get to hear is for the ordinary folks, something else goes on behind the scenes.

The US won't leave Afghan because they're afraid of a nightmarish scenario of Pak failing? Deepening their cooperation with India not only to contain China, but also for the day when they have to land their troops to seize Pak nukes from falling into the hands of mullahs? I am banging my head again and again, while I can't figure out why the US will leave or stay in Afghanistan.

Comment

Everyday occurances - Large number of terrorists waiting at border to sneak into J&K

Snippets -
                    A large number of heavily-armed terrorists are waiting across the Line of Control and the International Border for an opportunity to sneak into the state, Jammu and Kashmir police chief S P Vaid said today.
                    Vaid also said a big campaign was underway on social media from Pakistan to trick youths into militancy on the basis of false propaganda but the police have taken effective measures to counter it and have managed to block many such accounts.

Comment

• Four policemen martyred in terrorist attack in J&K's Shopian

All native Kashmiris, and all Muslims. Rest in peace. Here goes the Pak propaganda that Kashmiris are rising up against the Indian state and bleh, bleh and bleh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                        Isn't it the oft-repeated - rinse & repeat formula? I have a feeling whatever we get to hear is for the ordinary folks, something else goes on behind the scenes.
                        There could be other things but unless they pan out are not important. Letting relations get worse isn't managing the situation its losing control of the situation. This invites interference from external powers. We've got it under control for now.

The US won't leave Afghan because they're afraid of a nightmarish scenario of Pak failing? Deepening their cooperation with India not only to contain China, but also for the day when they have to land their troops to seize Pak nukes from falling into the hands of mullahs? I am banging my head again and again, while I can't figure out why the US will leave or stay in Afghanistan.
                        How does US leaving Afghanistan translate into Pakistan falling ? or are you saying if Pakistan falls it would be harder for the US to stabilise the region if they do not have troops in Afghanistan

On the contrary if the US does leave Afghanistan it will be seen as a win of sorts in Pakistan as yet another great power has lost like in the past.

They might draw down but leaving entirely is doubtful as they've invested quite a lot in the place already. Some would argue not very successfully but it is what it is.
                        Last edited by Double Edge; 30 Aug 18,, 13:18.

Comment

Addressing the recruits earlier after inspecting the parade and taking salute at the march past, Vaid said, "Our neighbouring country has launched a major campaign on social media to lure youths into terrorism and violence through wrong information."

"We have taken measures to cover it and, accordingly, media cells have been created at the range, district and zonal levels. We have opened 26 Facebook pages at district level, 189 at police station and zonal levels and 31 twitter handles and have occupied the social media space to counter the malicious campaign," the DGP said.

He said many accounts feeding wrong information to mislead the youths have been successfully blocked.
                          This is interesting, finally they're beginning to exercise control at the narrative level. Till now they've had to react at the tactical level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                            There could be other things but unless they pan out are not important. Letting relations get worse isn't managing the situation its losing control of the situation. This invites interference from external powers. We've got it under control for now.
                            Do you really believe that, now, as of today, i.e the 30th-Aug-2018? The Americans tried for decades alongwith the Paks and failed. Look where India is today. We're short of becoming an American ally.

My guess, this is, to squeeze Paks further. We talk, they kill. Nothing's gonna come out from talks. And the international community sides with us even more. Look at Paks condition now. No one believes them anymore. Nations do, they do believe Pak is an international sponsor of terrorism.

How does US leaving Afghanistan translate into Pakistan falling ? or are you saying if Pakistan falls it would be harder for the US to stabilise the region if they do not have troops in Afghanistan

On the contrary if the US does leave Afghanistan it will be seen as a win of sorts in Pakistan as yet another great power has lost like in the past.

They might draw down but leaving entirely is doubtful as they've invested quite a lot in the place already. Some would argue not very successfully but it is what it is.
                            Yes. I'd rather argue that, had the Paks collaborated with the Americans, they'd have had turned their country around from the pathetic cesspool that Pakistan is. Maybe a lighter, moderate version of Islam, openness, an economy like that of SKorea. Now it's anyone's guess. Anyone believing that the Pentagon has not thought of a scenario of Pak failing and securing its nukes, is well, blind to geo-political realities. Being in Afghanistan helps that, and not necessarily US would need India's help, but a little collaboration is always helpful. The Americans think and plan a generation ahead into the future. They are very good at this. I discussed with the Colonel a year or so back about the Pak nuke problem, and that a couple of Aegis destroyers in the Arabian Sea off the Gujarat coast would help.

Do you know that the CIA some years back wrote a white-paper/journal about what happens if a sovereign country declares the US as a state sponsor of terrorism. I forgot most of what I read then, but it is this thinking, precisely, what I admire. They come across an obstacle, they blow it to smithereens and move ahead. This is raw power projection I want India to develop at a regional level. Being #3@economy means jack, otherwise.
                            Last edited by Oracle; 30 Aug 18,, 19:15.

Comment

Do you really believe that, now, as of today, i.e the 30th-Aug-2018? The Americans tried for decades alongwith the Paks and failed. Look where India is today. We're short of becoming an American ally.
                              That nuke thing....gets people's attention

My guess, this is, to squeeze Paks further. We talk, they kill. Nothing's gonna come out from talks. And the international community sides with us even more. Look at Paks condition now. No one believes them anymore. Nations do, they do believe Pak is an international sponsor of terrorism.
                              I'm fine with the status quo. Talks and terrorism don't go together but talks about terrorism are welcome. And that won't happen if things slide downhill.

Yes. I'd rather argue that, had the Paks collaborated with the Americans, they'd have had turned their country around from the pathetic cesspool that Pakistan is. Maybe a lighter, moderate version of Islam, openness, an economy like that of SKorea. Now it's anyone's guess. Anyone believing that the Pentagon has not thought of a scenario of Pak failing and securing its nukes, is well, blind to geo-political realities. Being in Afghanistan helps that, and not necessarily US would need India's help, but a little collaboration is always helpful. The Americans think and plan a generation ahead into the future. They are very good at this. I discussed with the Colonel a year or so back about the Pak nuke problem, and that a couple of Aegis destroyers in the Arabian Sea off the Gujarat coast would help.
                              I've not considered the scenario of the Paks failing. It's been so long that they were failing but haven't failed that i've stopped considering it.

What do you think would precipitate such a failure ?

Do you know that the CIA some years back wrote a white-paper/journal about what happens if a sovereign country declares the US as a state sponsor of terrorism. I forgot most of what I read then, but it is this thinking, precisely, what I admire. They come across an obstacle, they blow it to smithereens and move ahead.
                              How well has this power been demonstrated in Afghanistan & Iraq. Toppled regimes but there is more to just blowing things up. if you break it you own it and that is another story altogether. Nobody quibbles too much about the invasion but there is a hell of a lot of argument about the occupation

This is raw power projection I want India to develop at a regional level. Being #3@economy means jack, otherwise.
                              We would need expeditionary capability. Marines and the means to project them where ever. China is developing marine divisions presently.

What would our argument for that be ? until we have similar interests that would otherwise be threatened its going to be on the back burner. So for now we build aircraft carriers. It's expected given this vision of free and open Indo pacific that we would at some point need to develop such capability.

We used to have this power in the 19th century under Curzon. We policed the area from the Suez to Singapore. Fought in both opium wars and put down the boxer rebellion. Different era, different needs
                              Last edited by Double Edge; 30 Aug 18,, 19:31.

Comment

• Why did Vajpayee's bus diplomacy fail?

The idea of bus diplomacy came from Inpad, a Pune based think-tank.

As subsequent events at Kargil and Pakistan's continued support to terror activities in India prove, Pakistan has never felt insecure and has always felt that the break-up/destruction of India was within its capability.

In short, a Pakistan that feels secure will always continue to be aggressive vis a vis India.

I agree with Shekhar Gupta's conclusions that Imran Khan becoming the prime minster has changed nothing and peace will continue to elude the Indian subcontinent till such time as the Pakistani army, the real rulers, continues to harbour the belief that it can achieve its aim of breakup of India into several small parts.

It is this notion and unshakeable belief of the Pakistani army that lies at the root of failure of every single peace initiative undertaken by India.

This will end only when Pakistan gets divided along ethnic lines or ceases to exist altogether as an independent State.

Till such time, the best that India can do is keep Pakistan destabilised and insecure so that it has no chance to carry out its aggressive agenda.

Comment

Working...
                                X