Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53

Thread: How would a dog fight an armed intruder?

  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    07 Jan 08
    Posts
    126

    How would a dog fight an armed intruder?

    This is my feasibility study for using dogs as a deterrence to home invasions. I live in Australia, so the legality is also an issue, but that's another topic.

    Let's say it's during the day, no one is home beside 2 German shepherds. A thief breaks into my home and is armed with a knife. Assuming neither side is well trained, who wins?

    Edit: has anyone tried making lacquered armour for their dogs?
    Last edited by hboGYT; 24 Jun 18, at 12:43.

  2. #2
    Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Aug 03
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    11,819
    The dogs alone ought to be enough. Thieves will typically choose the easiest target, the one that requires the least amount of effort, with the least amount of risk. Unless you're being specifically targeted, a thief will burgle your neighbor who doesn't have any dogs rather than burgling you.
    What I don't want to see is the Bills winning a Super Bowl. As long as I'm alive that doesn't happen.

  3. #3
    Senior Contributor Oracle's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jul 13
    Location
    966.3673
    Posts
    3,324
    hboGYT, 2 German Shepherds are enough for even the para-military to take notice. Knife or a gun, 2 German Shepherds would keep most intruders away, as long as they know the mess they would be getting at. Do keep a signboard that says - Ever wondered what life is after death, intrude and find out with my 2 German Shepherds. :D

    My house was robbed in 2000 during the night. I was away then, attending my pre-final year of Engineering. My mom lost a gold necklace and some petty cash. The thief(s) who we've assumed knew ins and outs, was probably one (or more) of the labourer working at our home, the month prior to the robbery.

    So I bought a German Shepherd, and made it grow un-social. No contact with anyone else other than me and my parents. That's it. No one, not even my relatives could come home to pay a visit without it barking continuously. It bit many people too. People were scared and it gained enough notoriety in my small town. No incidents happened thereafter. It bit my mom too once, when she was screaming at me for using her towel. Then job happened, and I would visit home once in 2-3 years, but even then it knew me. He could smell me when I opened the gate, it knew the exact sound and type of 'pressing' of the door-bell and would make different sounds that my mom came to know was either me or my dad.

    He was my best pal. Always gave unconditional love, never took anything other than some petting. Ate everything - mangoes, apples, even Paan, pork, chicken, mutton, milk etc. He died in 2009 of old age and genetic disease. Now that we have shifted town, the scourge of robbery is again an issue. I am thinking of buying another German Shepherd puppy. But, I am also thinking of the sadness that comes along-with having a dog and the attachment that develops, knowing fully well that it would leave one day.

    You can have a dog and intruders would think 10 times before entering your property. You will grow an ever-lasting bond with it. And the day he finally dies, it would break your heart. So think clearly before bringing a dog home. And yeah, a German Shepherd puppy comes with a lot of responsibilities and some spending too.
    Last edited by Oracle; 24 Jun 18, at 16:41.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles!

    Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain!

  4. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    07 Jan 08
    Posts
    126
    How do you prevent it from liking every human it meets?

  5. #5
    Senior Contributor Oracle's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jul 13
    Location
    966.3673
    Posts
    3,324
    Simple. You keep it isolated. I kept mine at the backyard of my house. But do remember to spend time with it everyday, or it will become so aggressive that it won't listen to you. You can also train it in isolation by rewarding it for simple tasks such as sitting/standing up etc. Make it learn your commands from an early age, probably from 1.5-2 months. This will develop bonding between you and your dog. They chew a lot, so if you make a wooden kennel, be ready to shell out some more money and get a steel one by the time it is a year old.

    Big dogs need to exercise, that is they need to run a lot, so you don't keep it caged all day and night. If you don't have a big enough backyard, develop a habit to walk the dog atleast twice a day and also let it walk freely inside the house. German Shepherds are disciplinarians, so if you give breakfast at 7AM for 5 days, it would expect the same for the 6th day. How in the hell they keep track of time I don't know.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles!

    Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain!

  6. #6
    Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Aug 03
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    11,819
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    German Shepherds are disciplinarians, so if you give breakfast at 7AM for 5 days, it would expect the same for the 6th day. How in the hell they keep track of time I don't know.
    Animals are able to keep track of time without having to consciously think about it. Circadian rhythms. We have the natural ability to do the same, the brain has an organic built-in biological clock. However, as a complex society, we have defined time and assigned numbers to it, and rely on timekeeping devices to be able to co-ordinate our activities with a higher degree of accuracy.

    Anybody ought to be able to look at the Sun at any time of year, at virtually any latitude, and be able to intuit what time it is, give or take 10 or 15 minutes from the system we have devised to officially keep time. Dogs can do the same without even thinking about it.

    There is likely <100 million years since humans and dogs split from our most recent common ancestor, and while each species has since evolved certain specializations, our other innate abilities are much the same.
    Last edited by Ironduke; 24 Jun 18, at 15:37.
    What I don't want to see is the Bills winning a Super Bowl. As long as I'm alive that doesn't happen.

  7. #7
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    03 Sep 17
    Posts
    984
    This entire premis is wrong. If the bark does not deter the intruder from entering your property, then you can be sure that the intruder knows about the dogs and is ready to deal with them. At that point, you cannot and must not assume that the intruder is not trained nor have a methodology of eliminating the dogs.

  8. #8
    Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Sep 10
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    7,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Ate everything - mangoes, apples, even Paan, pork, chicken, mutton, milk etc.
    How do you train it not to take food from others ?

    Has to be well fed or it will take food from strangers as well

  9. #9
    Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Sep 10
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    7,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironduke View Post
    Animals are able to keep track of time without having to consciously think about it. Circadian rhythms. We have the natural ability to do the same, the brain has an organic built-in biological clock. However, as a complex society, we have defined time and assigned numbers to it, and rely on timekeeping devices to be able to co-ordinate our activities with a higher degree of accuracy.

    Anybody ought to be able to look at the Sun at any time of year, at virtually any latitude, and be able to intuit what time it is, give or take 10 or 15 minutes from the system we have devised to officially keep time. Dogs can do the same without even thinking about it.

    There is likely <100 million years since humans and dogs split from our most recent common ancestor, and while each species has since evolved certain specializations, our other innate abilities are much the same.
    If you keep a regular schedule, you sleep, wake up and feel hungry on the dot or very close to. I've often woken up a few minutes before the alarm clock went just like that. Interrupt that schedule and things get out of whack quick

  10. #10
    Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Aug 03
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    11,819
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    If you keep a regular schedule, you sleep, wake up and feel hungry on the dot or very close to. I've often woken up a few minutes before the alarm clock went just like that. Interrupt that schedule and things get out of whack quick
    The last office job I had (or ever will), I even had my gastrointestinal tract scheduled.
    Last edited by Ironduke; 28 Jun 18, at 22:35.
    What I don't want to see is the Bills winning a Super Bowl. As long as I'm alive that doesn't happen.

  11. #11
    Senior Contributor Oracle's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jul 13
    Location
    966.3673
    Posts
    3,324
    Quote Originally Posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    This entire premis is wrong. If the bark does not deter the intruder from entering your property, then you can be sure that the intruder knows about the dogs and is ready to deal with them. At that point, you cannot and must not assume that the intruder is not trained nor have a methodology of eliminating the dogs.
    Correct. I am thinking that German Shepherds are way more adapt in dealing with intruders with knives, not with guns. And where I lived (live), intruders are petty thieves, they might come with a rod or a knife, but they don't have a gun.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles!

    Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain!

  12. #12
    Senior Contributor Oracle's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jul 13
    Location
    966.3673
    Posts
    3,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    How do you train it not to take food from others ?

    Has to be well fed or it will take food from strangers as well
    Yes, well fed. But then, when it was a puppy and my friends would visit me home and give it, say a cookie, I would be telling it not to eat it. Sometimes it did eat when small, then with continued persistence, I made him just sniff and go away. Later, it became very aggressive, that no one would think of giving it a cookie, lest they lose an arm.

    One incident among many that I remember is, 3 labourers working at my home to build a bathroom. Now, they have all heard rumours about my dog like how big it is, and that it bites, but they haven't seen it. So they decide they will just have a glance and go. So they open a very narrow door (we had 3 entrances to the dog-house), and my dog who was hiding behind the door (it does that, and then bites the person) suddenly got loose and came inside the house. I was not at home, only my mom was. Among the 3 labourer, 1 went up a betelnut tree, another climbed a wall to get to the roof, and the last was not lucky. His leg still has scar.

    What I have said is not the best way to train a dog (I was young and didn't know about training and such stuff), so you need to get a professional.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles!

    Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain!

  13. #13
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    03 Sep 17
    Posts
    984
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Correct. I am thinking that German Shepherds are way more adapt in dealing with intruders with knives, not with guns. And where I lived (live), intruders are petty thieves, they might come with a rod or a knife, but they don't have a gun.
    The point is that those willing to risk the dogs will be prepared to take on the dogs and it doesn't have to be guns. Poison sprays would be just as effective and worst comes to worst, a spear is a good way to put them down.

  14. #14
    Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Sep 10
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    7,629
    Quote Originally Posted by hboGYT View Post
    This is my feasibility study for using dogs as a deterrence to home invasions. I live in Australia, so the legality is also an issue, but that's another topic.

    Let's say it's during the day, no one is home beside 2 German shepherds. A thief breaks into my home and is armed with a knife. Assuming neither side is well trained, who wins?

    Edit: has anyone tried making lacquered armour for their dogs?
    Have you considered surveillance. Cameras?

  15. #15
    Senior Contributor Oracle's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jul 13
    Location
    966.3673
    Posts
    3,324
    Quote Originally Posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    The point is that those willing to risk the dogs will be prepared to take on the dogs and it doesn't have to be guns. Poison sprays would be just as effective and worst comes to worst, a spear is a good way to put them down.
    Sir, I think we're thinking too much. Gun laws are stricter in commonwealth countries, and if there is a break-in or unlawful entry into a house - 2 German Shepherds can absolutely tackle that part where those who enter carries a poison spray or whatever. German Shepherds are the deterrence here. Before both the dogs go down, they would have done their work with their barking and biting. If however Roman legionaries are out hunting dogs, then we can dig deeper. :D
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles!

    Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 5 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 5 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Young mum shoots intruder dead
    By Chunder in forum Small Arms and Personal Weapons
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 23 Feb 12,, 14:22
  2. 53yo F Homeowner kills intruder
    By THL in forum World Affairs Board Pub
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11 Dec 09,, 05:47
  3. Pensioners 'hog-tie' burly intruder
    By Parihaka in forum World Affairs Board Pub
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13 Dec 05,, 01:33

Tags for this Thread

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •