Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would a dog fight an armed intruder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OR, get 2 pairs of Geese. One pair for the frontyard, and another pair for the backyard. When they grow up, slaughter and roast them, invite friends and ask them to bring beers, and then get some more Geese to guard the home. This seems to be the cheapest and the most effective solution for handling petty thieves. Geese = guards + meat.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Ask any poultry farmer. Geese are naturally aggressive. As mother is wont to say, the one they kept "near bit your uncle's rear off and he walked funny for weeks."
      All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
      -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

The person who first thought of using Geese for security of nuclear installations is a genius. It's cheap, highly effective, and if the early warning radar starts to blip, collect all Geese and go underground. Then spend those last days roasting the Geese and partying inside the blast-proof silos. What a way to welcome the end of the world.
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Geese are too loud. My council does not allow them probably. I know chickens are not allowed for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by hboGYT View Post
            Geese are too loud. My council does not allow them probably. I know chickens are not allowed for sure.
            Then just follow basic home security practices.

Put pins in the tracks of all the windows that keep them from being opened. Removable of course if you need to escape from a fire.
            Either have no shrubbery near the house ( place for people to hide) Or use something decorative but thorny. I don't know what plants are native in your area. Here, for example, we would plant roses or holly bushes. Plant these under windows, and up against the house.

Use deadbolts with a long shaft on all doors. And replace half of the screws on the hinges with screws that are at least 3 inches long. Both should get the door secured to the house framework proper instead of just the door casing.

Keep the yard clean and make sure you don't leave tools outside that will aid in breaking into your house. Things like ladders and pry bars.

That's going to stop the majority of opportunist break-ins.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
              The person who first thought of using Geese for security of nuclear installations is a genius. It's cheap, highly effective, and if the early warning radar starts to blip, collect all Geese and go underground. Then spend those last days roasting the Geese and partying inside the blast-proof silos. What a way to welcome the end of the world.
              Was not aware until it was mentioned here but the idea has been around for a long while..

Guard geese have been used throughout history, and in modern times. In ancient Rome, geese are credited by the historian Livy for giving the alarm when Gauls invaded (see Battle of the Allia).

On modern farms, geese are said to be good deterrents to predators of other domestic fowl, and snakes. A handbook on industrial security recommends them for protecting warehouses and other isolated physical assets. They are reported to have been used to guard United States Air Defense Command installations in Germany; as the Scotch Watch at Ballantine's Distillery in Dumbarton, Scotland; and to protect a police station in Xinjiang, China.
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guard_goose

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                Keep the yard clean
                Great suggestion

Or how to make it harder to quickly spot a house that is vacant

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                  Use deadbolts with a long shaft on all doors. And replace half of the screws on the hinges with screws that are at least 3 inches long. Both should get the door secured to the house framework proper instead of just the door casing.
                  I'd also recommend guard plates/reinforcers for the doorknobs and deadbolts.

Examples: https://www.amazon.com/slp/door-rein...egxg4qeenfu3zw

Not having windows in your entryway doors is a good idea too. Easy to just break the glass and reach around and unlock the deadbolt.
                  "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

There have got to be easier ways to case a joint than this

Using Wi-Fi to “see” behind closed doors is easier than anyone thought | MIT | Nov 02 2018|

Comment

Working...
                    X