Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would a dog fight an armed intruder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hboGYT View Post
    This is my feasibility study for using dogs as a deterrence to home invasions. I live in Australia, so the legality is also an issue, but that's another topic.

Let's say it's during the day, no one is home beside 2 German shepherds. A thief breaks into my home and is armed with a knife. Assuming neither side is well trained, who wins?

Edit: has anyone tried making lacquered armour for their dogs?
    My mother has a pair of shepards. They know who belongs at her home and who doesnt and act accordingly. One is damned smart. He opens the front door, uses mirrors in the house to see who is in the next room, etc. He is also Schutzhund trained. The other one is a 130 pound freight train that looks like a junk yard dog. They do work in tandom. If you run the first dog will trip you and the second will be on you before you can get up. They have 8 acres to patrol and do it well. They have discouraged many looking for an easy score. However, they have not met with a determined and prepared intruder. They are suspicious enough of strangers not to take food from them and with an intruder with only a knife I would put my money on the dogs, though I dont for a second think they would survive the encounter unscathed. Facing one dog is one thing. Facing 2, 3, 4 is a whole other matter. For all the effort to take them on, moving to another home to invade would be better effort spent.
    Now back to your premise as both sides are "not well trained". That really can not be explored fairly because like humans dogs have different personalities. Some dogs are naturals when it comes to protecting the home. Other dogs think every stranger is a friend. That is a variable you need to pin down.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
      The point is that those willing to risk the dogs will be prepared to take on the dogs and it doesn't have to be guns. Poison sprays would be just as effective and worst comes to worst, a spear is a good way to put them down.
      What if I have my dogs hide inside the house and zerg rush you from all directions when you enter, with home-made leather armour?

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
      Have you considered surveillance. Cameras?
      I have, but cameras can be destroyed.

At the moment, I'm only worried about thieves who try to break into the house during the day when there's no one home.

Comment

What if I have my dogs hide inside the house and zerg rush you from all directions when you enter, with home-made leather armour?
        Flashbangs.
        Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
          Some people do train their dogs to only take food from them. At some point in time the owner dies, spends a lot of time in a hospital, etc and the dog starves to death.
          This is true and sad at the same time.
          Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
            It's easy enough to impart your odors onto the meat, while not imparting any of mine, if that's what getting the dog to eat the meat truly hinged upon.

The Stasi used to place absorbent fabric on chairs while interrogating citizens of the DDR, and crank up the heat in the room a bit and make the interrogee nervous to get them to sweat. When the interrogation was over, they would gingerly take the odor-infused fabric from the chair, and seal it in a bag. That way, they'd have the person's scent if they ever needed to track the person down with dogs. One could simply find a way to swipe someone's towel, underwear, or a shirt for the same purpose.

But you're right, we're overthinking it. It's just as easy to drop a 20 kilogram stone on the dog's head from atop a fence or a wall. Or spear it down the throat through a fence or a gate while out of reach of its teeth. It all depends on whether being more or less noticeable is important or not.
            A person who is determined to break-in will get his way, dog or no dog. And the methods you've mentioned is most likely to be used by the Russians to kill one of their own moles in a western country. :D
            Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
              As far as training dogs not to eat/accept food from strangers, the US military tried that. That's why nuclear installations are/were protected by geese during the cold war. They make one hell of a noise.
              By geese you mean, this?

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                By geese you mean, this?
                Yes. No better alarm system.

Comment

Yes. No better alarm system.
                  Alarm system I can understand, but how can Geese be trained? My neighbour has Gesse and all it wants is to bite me. They are a nuisance. Can you tell me more?

Comment

At the moment, I'm only worried about thieves who try to break into the house during the day when there's no one home.
                    High crime area? Close by neighbors? or worried about the random burglar because home is isolated?

Own or rent?

There are things that a homeowner can do to lessen the chances of a break in, but if someone is determined to get in your house they will. You just have to make it hard for them.
                    Cameras are a good start. Visible with a sign in the yard noting that the home is under video surveillance.

Comment

Alarm system I can understand, but how can Geese be trained? My neighbour has Gesse and all it wants is to bite me. They are a nuisance. Can you tell me more?
                      No training necessary. They make lots of noise when you enter their territory. And there is nothing you can do to shut them up.

Same as a dog. Designed to get someones attention. Neither are meant to stop a break in. They give the people with guns time to orient on the threat.

Its a tripwire

Comment

High crime area? Close by neighbors? or worried about the random burglar because home is isolated?

Own or rent?

There are things that a homeowner can do to lessen the chances of a break in, but if someone is determined to get in your house they will. You just have to make it hard for them.
                        Cameras are a good start. Visible with a sign in the yard noting that the home is under video surveillance.
                        Well technically, the high crime suburb is across the street. Not really high-crime, but definitely not a savoury place. That area has lots of public housing.

I own a house.

Comment

Well technically, the high crime suburb is across the street. Not really high-crime, but definitely not a savoury place. That area has lots of public housing.

I own a house.
                          I know a guy who lived in in a bad part of town. He put up a sign, Beware of Boa Constrictor, and bought a fake snake that he leaves visible somedays and other days not. Never had a break in while those around him were not so lucky.

But as the GS says, if your house has been cased ... have good insurance.
                          Chimo

Comment

A laser may do it. But cameras can be made inconspicuous and even decoys could be mixed in

What do you mean by a well fed dog? A well fed dog is one that eats all the time, is obese, and will be dying shorty. A well fed dog is same as a duck or a rabbit that eats all day. Discipline is all that matters. Your dog might be on an empty stomach, but it will not accept any food from strangers if disciplined well enough.
                            I meant to say regularly fed. One that isn't hungry.
                            Last edited by Double Edge; 01 Jul 18,, 15:44.

Comment

I think you've been playing too much StarCraft. Few video game concepts have real-world applications. :-)

Dogs alone ought to be enough to deter an opportunistic thief. The only situation I can think of where dogs would be useful in the manner you're asking about is if you've got a drug-addicted, brain damaged, semi-retarded thief out to commit a crime of opportunity, who is dumb enough to break in despite the dogs, but is too stupid to fend them off and gets mauled by them.

There was a thief some years ago who broke into someone's home through a skylight, and fell on a kitchen counter with knives on it, and ended up getting stabbed by those knives. What you're proposing might work against guys like that.
                              "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Another thing. A dog costs $10K a year in food and vet bills. Your house contents better be worth that if all you want is prevent breakins.

Look, if you want to get a dog, get a dog and be prepared to baby it night and day because that is what dogs are. They demand your attention. If you are not willing to put up the expense nor the time you need with the dog, then don't get it.

A wifi-internet surveillance system both in and outside your home might be your better option.
                                Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 01 Jul 18,, 17:14.
                                Chimo

Comment

Working...
                                X