Football World Cup 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football World Cup 2018

Interesting qualifying matches so far. Smaller teams expected to lose are doing anything but and challenging bigger teams. There's been upsets. Iceland holding Argentina to a draw, the Swiss forcing Brazil to concede to a draw and Mexico beating the current champions Germany in the opening qualifier

Group C with France, Denmark, Peru & Australia looks like the group of death

Peru back after 36 years, last seen in Spain in '82 are playing very well going by their performance against Denmark

If you install the google newstand app on your mobile there is a nice world cup section if you scroll down the feed

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180612-221934.png
Views:	2
Size:	365.1 KB
ID:	1485754
    Last edited by Double Edge; 21 Jun 18,, 08:05.

The various team's buses have interesting slogans silk screened on the side windows

Australia : Be brave, be bold, Socceroos in green and gold
    Iran : 80 million people, 1 nation, 1 heartbeat
    Peru : We are back! 30 million Peruvians are travelling here
    Poland : Go Poland!
    S.Korea : Tigers of Asia, Conquer the world
    Spain : Together we are invincible
    Switzerland : Four languages, one nation
    Uruguay : The sun shines in Russia, the sky is all light blue (*Best one*)

The coaches are made by hyundai and they held a slogan writing competition

Winning slogans
    Last edited by Double Edge; 22 Jun 18,, 06:00.

Comment

Wanted to open a thread, then thought Americans aren't crazy about football. Anyway, teams that haven't qualified this year include Chile, Italy (2 times World Champions), Holland (Category A team - been to the WC finals thrice and lost all), US, Ghana.

I have always been a German fan, and it leaves a bad taste when they fail as a team in simple textbook theme like - defence. I knew Mexico would score, and Mexico scored. Mexico then had another 4 simple chances they missed, and Germany couldn't come back in the game. Such bad performance by defending champions.

Argentina Vs Iceland - The last 30 mins of the game, Argentina should have taken their chances with long shots from outside the penalty box. For category B (Iceland) teams a draw is a bonus, for category A teams, a draw is hanging between a rock and a hard place. Lose/draw the first match, and then it becomes a do or die situation.

Ditto with Brasil, although their passes were better than all the other teams.

The surprise was Japan who scored 2 goals against Colombia's 1 and won, and Senegal too, and their fans in an awesome gesture cleaned their respective stadiums after the match. Much to learn from these countries about cleanliness and better still, courtesy. Kudos.

As of right now, Russia and Uruguay have progressed to the next round, and it looks Denmark is on the way too.

And DE, it's not Group C, but Group F (Germany, Sweden, Mexico, South Korea) that is the group of death.
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

My favorite moment of this year's World Cup came last weekend. After Iceland battled Argentina to a 1-1 tie, the official Twitter account for the government of The Falkland Islands tweeted:

"Argentina always seems to have some trouble with small islands."

Serious shade!!!
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
          ROFL!!! Small island LOL!!!

Belgium is the dark horse. If they progress to the Quarters and win, they are likely to win the Trophy this year.

You guys watch Football?
          Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Back in 2010, was arguing with people here against video replays being used for referee decisions on the basis it interrupts the flow of the game. Most american games can be halted, very ad friendly this way and replays have been used for long to decide. But with football people were saying bad decisions were taken because the ref has to decide on the spot and can't always get it right.

That's life i said so deal with it. Football is like life, things don't always go your way and that's what makes for the atmosphere

Well, here we are in 2018, now they use video replays, called VAR, Video assisted refereeing. Used twice already this tournament, to award a penalty to France and to disallow an off side goal against Iran. VAR has been helpful here. So long as the game doesn't get interrupted ten times per half.

Goal line technology already made an appearance a few years back so if a ball hasn't crossed more than half way across the line it isn't considered a goal
            Last edited by Double Edge; 21 Jun 18,, 13:59.

Comment

A little bit. It's not appointment television but if it's on when I sit down in a bar or wherever I'll watch.

TBH when the US didn't make it I lost interest. For me in the tertiary sports you slap an American flag on it and I'll watch. I guess I cheer for the laundry!

But I will try to catch Iceland....mostly cause I love their chant!
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                My favorite moment of this year's World Cup came last weekend. After Iceland battled Argentina to a 1-1 tie, the official Twitter account for the government of The Falkland Islands tweeted:

Serious shade!!!
                Ooooh : D

Where is tankie, THIS THREAD NEEDS TANKIE

Comment

Australia need to win against Denmark. Am watching this online makes it easy to pause and resume when necessary

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                    Australia need to win against Denmark. Am watching this online makes it easy to pause and resume when necessary
                    And draw it is. I was hoping Denmark to win this match and sail to the next round with ease.

Comment

France and Peru now. People are saying France has a chance to win the cup. Peru is holding them back quite well and have to win this one or they are out. Which would be sad because they are a good team.

Comment

And Peru is out. Couldn't score

Can the Croatians trouble Argentina ?

So much is said about Messi but i'm still waiting to see him deliver in the world cup. He's great at the club level but the national team isn't the same

Argentina is like a one man team. Like Portugal. But Ronaldo has been doing well this cup

it's amazing to think last cup's finalists could bow out at the qualifiers, last time Argentina failed to get out of the qualifiers was 2002

Click image for larger version

Name:	sampoli_2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1476747
                        Last edited by Double Edge; 21 Jun 18,, 21:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                          Wanted to open a thread, then thought Americans aren't crazy about football.
                          Why? They've always participated in earlier discussions.

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                          Anyway, teams that haven't qualified this year include Chile, Italy (2 times World Champions), Holland (Category A team - been to the WC finals thrice and lost all), US, Ghana.
                          Sweden is responsible for denying both Italy & Holland at the qualifiers to the cup

And DE, it's not Group C, but Group F (Germany, Sweden, Mexico, South Korea) that is the group of death.
                          Group of death meaning any two of the four could go through with no clear favourites, Group F does seem to be a tough group

How about Group H ? any idea which two will get through : D
                          Last edited by Double Edge; 22 Jun 18,, 08:53.

Comment

I felt the group of death was argentinas group and if they get knocked out early it may justify that tag. Nigeria, Iceland now becomes the biggest game of the tournament so far as it has a massive influence on the fate of Messi and co. Brazils group could also prove interesting with them playing Serbia last.

Germany, Sweden looks the biggest game over the weekend.

I have been impressed with VAR and in hindsight I am not sure why I ever doubted it. The only man who cant see an incident on a replay should not be the only guy whose opinion matters.

Comment

That was the best game Australia have played against quality opposition in years, but we just couldn't get it done. We are still a chance to move to the next round, but if we don't it will be our own fault. France isn't looking like the dominant team that was expected, but history shows that as long as a quality team can get to the next round in decent shape it is always a chance.

Argentina's campaign is in a shambles. My Chilean friends will be livid - they had a great team but a crap coach & Argentina effectively pushed them out of a WC spot. Croatia could be a dark horse this year. Colombia looked better than their 2-1 loss suggests. Senegal were fun, though I'm not sure they are good enough to go a long way. England were gifted two goals by spectacularly bad defending, but they can't be underestimated. Don't know what to make of Russia. I get the impression it will all come crashing down at some point.

Personally I would be happy to see most of the big names drop out at the group stage. While I love Germany & Brazil, they have plenty of trophies. Argentina has more than they deserve, and I just don't like Spain & Portugal. It would be great to see a new nation win the cup - maybe Belgium.

I have only seen a limited sample of the VAR, but I'm not impressed. We conceded a penalty that wasn't remotely there against France & then got one that wasn't there against Denmark. I suspect that while the VAR will eliminate some 'howlers', it will create others. However, if it gets used to punish diving I could be persuaded.
                              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Working...
                              X