No announcement yet.

Football World Cup 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third place game is up. Belgium is back to the same formation they used against Brazil. Back to 3 -4 - 3. Who knows had Martinez kept that formation the result with France might have been different. 6 games he used it and then changes it for one all important one (!)

England sticks to 3 -5 -2 but pulls out the existing midfielders and replaces with people from the previous Belgium game. Five changes, to get people to play and some world cup experience as this isn't that important a game. Walker goes out and Jones comes in. Walker was quite good i thought as a defender. Not that it made a difference as they lost again and this time by one more goal (!)

Five minutes in and England are already a goal down. Feels like another is imminent. England just aren't convincing here at all. They do have a reason to win though as then they'd end up in third place which is better than the result they got back in 1990

80' and England are two down

Last group game had England & Belgium both using their 'B' teams and England went one down there. These are their 'A' teams and the result is even better in Belgium's favour.

19 of the players here are in the English league some on opposing sides play together in clubs in the UK. Good natured game no cards shown

Belgium wins and is in the top 3. Best result they've ever achieved at the world cup

Unless Griezman or Mbappe score hatricks tomorrow, Harry Kane looks good to win the golden boot with six goals scored in the entire tournament. He could have got more if luck was there.
    Last edited by Double Edge; 14 Jul 18,, 18:45.

Comment

Some football trivia

Brazil 1958

Argentina 1978

France 1998

?????? 2018

See a pattern ?

Every twenty years, a team won their first ever WC : )

Comment

Bet with my cousin over half a bottle of Vodka. Me --> Croatia - 2 <--> 1 - France. Him - France, whatever the score. And goat liver fry.

I am @ home, can't drink like a madman now. :D
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Everybody's backing France but i'd like to see an underdog win.

Croatia have made life interesting by gifting the French an own goal. Last matches hero Mandzukic inadvertently headed the ball into his own goal in an attempt to defend from a free kick. Mandzukic it has to be said is pretty good in the air with his height and heading the ball no matter which side's netting : D

Ten minutes later after that disaster, the Croats compose themselves and equalise. They appear confident and are taking to the French

Dunno, these guys seem pretty pumped, determined to beat the French even if it means recovering from their own mistakes : D

This game is looking good with two croat goals already, not the cagey defensive affair

Oh dear, will the Croats concede a penalty now ? damnit the french win a penalty. That handball looked involuntary to me. Bah! they're called it 'unnatural movement' of the hand hence penalty.

Croats one down again. Can things get any harder for the Croats. Can France have it any easier.

An own goal and now a conceded penalty : ((

French have put another two in, their own goals. We've had five goals so far.

ha! Manduzkic put one in. Redeemed himself. It's 4 -2, 6 goals now..

Come to think of it so has Perisic, made up by scoring one for the handball that gave away the penalty
          Last edited by Double Edge; 15 Jul 18,, 18:56.

Comment

Shit! France 4 - 2 Croatia. Go Croatia, Go!!!
            Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

I think there is no doubt that the two best teams of this tournament are playing now.

Can just feel there is another Croat goal imminent

Shots on goal: Croatia 14 : France 7
              Last edited by Double Edge; 15 Jul 18,, 17:42.

Comment

And FRANCE wins FIFA WC 2018 4 goals to 2. Congratulations France!

I should gamble less. Lost a 1000 bucks! :D :D

Comment

My winner is Pussy Riot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DiKap4TU0AEVUj5.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1476926

Statement was apparently:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DiKbbqGVAAADf-A.jpg large.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1476927

Comment

Hats off to Russia 2018 for a most memorable World cup : D

I don't care what anyone says...

THE CROATS ARE HEROES !!!

Comment

• I didn't have a dog in the fight, but would have rooted for the Croats as the underdogs.

'
                      This shouldn't be happening in Russia, or anywhere else...

It's too bad that we live in a world where there are actors who will fabricate and weave from whole cloth a criminal case, or make false accusations, when it's they themselves who are the ones involved in wrongdoing, and innocent people get railroaded and framed up when these actors perceive their interests to be threatened.
                      Last edited by Ironduke; 15 Jul 18,, 19:29.
                      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Croatia & Belgium impressed right from the start so its fitting they are in the top three by the end

Teams that ought to be proud, Russia, England, Japan & Denmark. Korea also for scoring two in stoppage time and forcing the previous champions Germany out.

Korea 2 Germany 0 is a score line you never expect to see.

Uruguay and to an extent Colombia were hobbled because they lost a key player. These two i'd have rooted for more than the over hyped Brazil & Argentina. Nobody will miss Neymar's play acting then again the same could be said about Suarez too

What amazed me was the Panama fans. Panama were down six to England and then their team score a goal, their first ever at a world cup and the Panama fans celebrate like they just won the match : D
                        Last edited by Double Edge; 15 Jul 18,, 22:47.

Comment

• Mesut Ozil, citing 'racism', quits Germany side after World Cup debacle

Not nice at all.

Comment

• "Arguably the issue that has frustrated me the most over the past couple of months has been the mistreatment from the DFB, and in particular the DFB President Richard Grindel," he said.

He said that Grindel and Germany coach Joachim Loew had asked him to give a "joint statement to end all the talk and set the record straight" over the picture with Erdogan.

"Whilst I attempted to explain to Grindel my heritage, ancestry and therefore reasoning behind the photo, he was far more interested in speaking about his own political views and belittling my opinion."

Ozil, 29, said he had been unfairly blamed in Germany for the side's shock first-round defeat at the World Cup.

"I will no longer stand for being a scapegoat for his (Grindel's) incompetence and inability to do his job properly," he said.

"In the eyes of Grindel and his supporters, I am German when we win, but I am an immigrant when we lose."
                            This seems to be the bit that did it. His school refusing to have anything to do with him (because of negative publicity) is also sad.

Though i think in a way he's brought this on himself. Radioactive. Things he's said do not help community relations for Turkish immigrants and on the contrary serve to inflame things further just for domestic gain back in Turkey.

Ozil could have been a little more shrewd with media management.

Erdogan has been making waves for the last couple of years. What harm would there have been to avoid him until things cooled off ?

Matthaus isn't in the team since the last twenty years, so meeting with Putin isn't going to attract anywhere as much attention as Ozil in the spotlight

I don't know what happened to Germany this time but its been a trend for winners to crash out at the qualifiers of the next cup since the beginning of this century. You'd think Germany would be immune to this sort of trend but apparently not.
                            Last edited by Double Edge; 23 Jul 18,, 09:08.

Comment

Working...
                            X