Clear All

The Croats use a 4-2-3-1 formation like the French

This was the lineup against Nigeria

Click image for larger version

Name:	cro_nig.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1476908

Sllght tweak for the Argentina game. It's unusual to see defenders swap positions, none of the other teams tweaked their defense lineup for important games. Kramaric goes out. Modric goes up and Brozovic is brought in. Whatever they did they won 3 - 0 so its good

Name:	cro_arg.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	1476909

Croatia have already qualified so its team B with Iceland. Modric moves down and right. Kramaric returns. The rest are all different but they keep the same formation

Name:	cro_ice.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1476906

For the Denmark game they were back to the same lineup they used against Argentina. Instead of a thumping win it ended up as a 1 -1 likely due to Schmeichel's excellent saves. The game went on to penalties and here its the Croat goalkeeper that kept three out which allowed Croatia to progress

Since the Denmark game didn't yield any fireworks, the Croat coach reverted back to the original formation he started with only the two defenders Vida & Lovren swapping positions

Name:	cro_rus.jpg
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1476907

And what was the result ? another draw which went to penalties and again the Croat goalkeeper bailed them out. What stood out in the Russia game was how Modric didn't get the shooting chances he had like with Argentina.

It seems like Croatia is tapped out, they can't do better than get draws with Denmark & Russia. There was nothing to separate them after 120 minutes with Russia. Same with Denmark. I think England can win against Croatia. That is provided Croatia doesn't drag it to penalties and knowing their luck Croatia win a third shootout and set an all time record for penalties in the tournament

Semis:With England its back to the Argentina formation again. This is good. Minimal tweaking is best at this late stage

Last edited by Double Edge; 11 Jul 18,, 19:20.

Comment

Martinez changed to 3 - 5 - 2 against France's usual. That was unexpected. Missed chances on both sides. Nothing at half time.

Tough game both these teams are good. Some on opposing sides play in the same club team.

3 -5 -2 is England's formation !!!
      Last edited by Double Edge; 10 Jul 18,, 23:51.

Comment

The one guy missing from the Belgium team

Oh why.....

Comment

With so much attacking talent in both teams, we get one measly goal. Disappointing!

Mbappe and Neymar probably go to the same school of diving.
          Last edited by Firestorm; 10 Jul 18,, 21:36.

Comment

Great saves and sterling defending ?

Tomorrow should have more fireworks

Comment

Comment

England score in the 5th minute. A good omen as team that scores first generally wins with only a few exceptions.

England's team formation remains the same as the last two games.

Croatia hasn't been able to respond yet as half time approaches. They are using the same formation as the one against Argentina & Denmark

Second half sees Croatia score and for the first time i see England wobble for a few minutes.

First half of extra time was lively with both sides pressing but still level.

Croatia score in the second half. Can England respond ? they are a man down as all three subs are in and now Trippier has cramps and cannot play any more.

That's it, Croatia meet France in the finals. Three matches of extra time they've had to slog through to get here. Thankfully no penalties

Job well done
                Last edited by Double Edge; 12 Jul 18,, 21:40.

Comment

Croatia! Awesome result. Gutted they won't be facing Belgium, but great to see a tiny nation get to the big show. Love to see them beat France.
                  sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

It would underscore what this WC was about if a country of 4M lifts the trophy. Love for them to win. Legends.

But i thought this team was tapped out after two extra time rounds. Now its a third. France are well rested

Both France & Croatia use the same 4 -2 3 -1 formation. Neither has reasons to change.

If France & Belgium almost canceled each other out this one will be complete.

Third place will be a replay of the last group game. This time i think both will use their A teams for pride : )
                    Last edited by Double Edge; 11 Jul 18,, 22:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                      France Vs Croatia (Final)?
                      Sometimes I have this notion that I am a genius and have precognition skills too. I should use this skill more often, and start gambling.
                      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                        Sometimes I have this notion that I am a genius and have precognition skills too. I should use this skill more often, and start gambling.
                        Based on your name when you joined here, OOE wanted you to give him the weekend's lottery numbers : D

This WC has belied most predictions. Pundits in the studio getting it all spectacularly wrong

How many predictable games have they been. Brazil v Mexico comes to mind. No surprises there.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                          Based on your name when you joined here, OOE wanted you to give him the weekend's lottery numbers : D
                          Ha ha ha, yeah! I almost forgot.

This WC has belied most predictions. Pundits in the studio getting it all spectacularly wrong

How many predictable games have they been. Brazil v Mexico comes to mind. No surprises there.
                          True. At the start of this WC, how many thought Croatia would sail through to the finals, and Germany not making past the first round, or Brazil failing to make it to the semis.
                          Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Russia did better than England against Croatia. Russia drew in game only to miss one penalty and have another saved

Like England, Russia led then Croatia equalised. Then in extra time Croatia scored another in the first half of extra time and then Russia drew level in the second half.

That second reply in England was missing because they lost Trippier and could not replace him with the result being they played ten against eleven for the better part of that extra time half

Fifa rankings
                            England 13

Croatia 20

Russia 70

Go on about home support all you want but then consider Brazil lost 1 -7 to Germany at home last cup : D
                            Last edited by Double Edge; 13 Jul 18,, 07:43.

Comment

Go on about home support all you want but then consider Brazil lost 1 -7 to Germany at home last cup : D
                              Sure, but they did it in a Semi Final. Besides, Brazil seems to be cursed never to win a home WC like Mexico is cursed not to get past the round of 16.

The 'home town' effect in WCs is well established. Six nations have won home WCs. Some of those teams would likely have won anyway, but that is still well over the odds. Only once has a home nation failed to get out of the group stage, and usually they make the Semis. Chile in '62 wasn't remotely a top 4 nation & neither was Sth Korea in 2002. Sweden was a decent side in 1958, but not nearly good enough to make a final.

Even when they don't make the Semis home nations tend to over achieve as Russia did this time.
                              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
                                So apparently after Croatia beat Muscovy some of the Croatian players (one of who apparently used to play for Dynamo Kyiv) made a video dedicating their win to Ukraine in which they say "Slava Ukraini!" (Glory to Ukraine). It was alleged this pretty common greeting (particularly during the revolution) was "ultra nationalist" (like saying "Heil Hitler" maybe?) and FIFA threatened action against Croatia. This has resulted in Ognjen Vukojevic being sacked by the Croatian Football Federation for publishing a politically-charged video on social media following the penalty shootout win over Russia.

So much BS.... Loads of PMs, Foreign Minsters, even Presidents have been heard saying "Slava Ukraini!" when referring to their support of the revolution or independence of Ukraine. It is by no means an "ultra nationalist slogan". It's akin to saying "Vive La France!" or something of the sort. Sure it is said by those inside and outside Ukraine who support the revolution cause of Ukraine but if this is extremist politics interfering in football why was Putin allowed near any game?
                                Was wondering who this guy was as i never heard of him. Turns out he's the assistant coach and he made a video with Vida who only got a caution and was allowed to play in the England game. The reason is FIFA does not allow any political statements and are pretty tight about it. Ultra or not does not matter, no politics. Period.

https://www.rferl.org/a/croatia-fire.../29353602.html

Now i know what Shaqiri was doing with his hands after he scored his goal

I've been on boards with similar policies, its very stifling
                                Last edited by Double Edge; 13 Jul 18,, 12:10.

Comment

Working...
                                X