No announcement yet.

Football World Cup 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Penalty awarded to Sweden against S.Korea couldn't have been caught without VAR. Looking at the camera angles it didn't seem like a foul. But repeated watching showed clearly that the swedish player touched the ball first and was struck after by the Korean player. Wasn't intentional but a penalty nonetheless. The way they've been doing it seems ok, there's a war room with people monitoring constantly and only when the game has moved on do they alert the ref that something is amiss, he then goes to the side and watches it, penalty awarded

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
      Why? They've always participated in earlier discussions.

Okay good. :D

Group of death meaning any two of the four could go through with no clear favourites, Group F does seem to be a tough group

How about Group H ? any idea which two will get through : D
      Poland & Japan?
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

How about Group H ? any idea which two will get through : D
        You'd have to back Japan, but the other one is anyone's guess. Senegal look loose in defence, but have striking power. Colombia have the best attack in the group if Rodriguez plays but their defence is suspect. Poland are a lot better than that first game, but they might need two wins.

It will be fun.

Looks like Brazil will get out of their group thanks to two extra time goals. Pity, would have liked someone else to get that spot.
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Every move gets a looking over in the war room

Click image for larger version

Name:	fifa war room.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	1476755

Comment

What Argentina needs to qualify. Second option looks easiest if they can get it

Name:	argentina to win.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	1476756

Iceland lost to Nigeria, so now its about Croatia

Name:	argentina to win.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1476757

The slight detail to worry about is Iceland held Argentina to a draw. Nigeria beat Iceland. Argentina needs to beat Nigeria now
            Last edited by Double Edge; 22 Jun 18,, 18:23.

Comment

Putin to MBS after Saudis down 2-0 at half time with Russia. Russia would go on to win 5-0 by full time in this cup opening match.

Name:	mbs putin.jpg
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1476768
              Last edited by Double Edge; 23 Jun 18,, 07:41.

Comment

My favourite football commentator, John Helm

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post

I have only seen a limited sample of the VAR, but I'm not impressed. We conceded a penalty that wasn't remotely there against France & then got one that wasn't there against Denmark. I suspect that while the VAR will eliminate some 'howlers', it will create others. However, if it gets used to punish diving I could be persuaded.
                  May be an unfortunate sample as its use in the france, australia game is the one that received controversial attention. Great use of it in Brazil, costa rica to rescind the awarding of a penalty.

Comment

Six out of 12 penalties awarded to date came as a result of VAR

Comment

Right, the swedes are one up against Germany. But why didn't the ref get the heads up from the war room to use VAR to award a penalty to the Swedes with the Boateng challenge in the first half?

Boatengs been sent off in the 80th minute
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 23 Jun 18,, 20:49.

Comment

Germany played very well last night.

Mexico is already through to the knock-outs (so it seems), so Sweden has to win against them to get 6 points, while Germany has to win against SKorea to get 6 points. Then which teams progresses to the next round? Mexico & Germany(?), since Mexico has already won the game against Germany, and Germany has already won the game against Sweden?

Belgium looks very good on the scorecard, but I don't think they will go beyond the quarters, that is if they proceed in the first place. They seem to lack synchronisation between their attack and defence.
                        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Germany was bollocks last night, they got lucky without conceding a penalty and then at the end with Roos. I'll give them credit for trying in the second half or did the swedes relax. Why didn't the Swedes push harder when the Germans were a man down

Korea was not so lucky, they conceded a penalty and ended up losing instead of drawing
                          Last edited by Double Edge; 24 Jun 18,, 06:53.

Comment

I was out drinking with some old buddies and watched the matched. I was excited. :D

But, what made you say that the Germans were bollocks? I concede that they are not playing like defending champions, or in other words - not trying hard enough to win the trophy.

Comment

Not playing like defending champions and the Argentines are even worse as runners up of the last cup. Maybe they're just pacing themselves

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                              Poland & Japan?
                              Poland are out, didn't want it enough
                              Last edited by Double Edge; 24 Jun 18,, 21:03.

Comment

Two Colombian legends spotted at the last Colombia game. Valderama & Higuita

Name:	Higuita-Valderrama-web.jpg
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1476783

Higuita was famous for his scorpion kick

Name:	rene-higuita.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1476784

He was an attacking goalkeeper the likes we don't see very often

Then he met Roger Milla in Italy in '90

Name:	rene roger.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1476785

Colombia vs Senegal this Thursday is going to be a good match
                                Last edited by Double Edge; 25 Jun 18,, 08:36.

Comment

Working...
                                X