Cannabis legalized in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannabis legalized in Canada

I don't partake, but I've always believed that using law enforcement resources and imprisoning people for something like weed is a waste of the taxpayer's money. It makes people feel funny and get hungry. I never understood why such a big deal was made out of it.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44543286
    Canada legalises recreational cannabis use

Canada has passed a landmark law that legalises the recreational use of marijuana nationwide.

The Cannabis Act passed its final hurdle on Tuesday in a 52-29 vote in the Senate. The bill controls and regulates how the drug can be grown, distributed, and sold.

Canadians will be able to buy and consume the drug legally as early as this September.

The country is the first in the G7 to legalise the drug's recreational use.

Cannabis possession first became a crime in Canada in 1923 but medical use has been legal since 2001.

The bill will likely receive Royal Assent this week, and the government will then choose an official date when the law will come into force.

It is expected to give the provinces and territories, as well as municipalities, eight to 12 weeks to set up the new marijuana marketplace.

This timeframe will also allows industry and police forces to prepare for the new legal framework.

How will legal marijuana in Canada work?

It is likely that by mid-September, Canadians will be able to buy cannabis and cannabis oil grown by licensed producers at various retail locations.

They will also be allowed to purchase plants and seeds from regulated retailers.

Canadians across the country will be able to order marijuana online from federally licensed producers.

Adults will be able to possess up to 30 grams (1 ounce) of dried cannabis in public.

Edibles, or cannabis-infused foods, will not be immediately available for purchase but will be within a year of the bill coming into force. The delay is meant to give the government time to set out regulations specific to those products.

The minimum legal age to buy and consume marijuana has been set federally at 18, but some provinces have chosen to set it at 19.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Click image for larger version

Name:	420.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1476728

Comment

This is good news for the Canadians. I did partake long ago but stopped after college. Because there is a time and place... Some places for work screened for it and marijuana stays in your blood stream for weeks. Coke & Heroin by comparison wash out in a couple of days. Life just isn't fair

The effects as far as i'm concerned are superior to alcohol by a long way. There is no violence, just bonding and fun. Fantastic conversations. Peace and love. Appetite inducing, great for recovering from any injuries. I know people who gave up smoking and just smoked it pure.

Natural drugs are more gentle than synthesised. Gentler highs and lows

So many varieties. Higher above sea level it grows the better it is. Its real strange that Afghanistan isn't peaceful like Jamaica, just sayin'
      Last edited by Double Edge; 20 Jun 18,, 05:46.

Comment

Never should have been illegal to begin with...

Hopefully this is just the beginning, and we see other nations follow suit. In the U.S we have 9 states that allow recreational use (Alaska, California, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Nevada, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington), and more to follow it's just a matter of time.

I advocate legalizing ALL drugs. It's a freedom issue. A civil rights issue... when the government tells me what I can, and can't do when I am not harming anyone else they are infringing on my freedom.

These drug laws..and the war on drugs is a total sham, and has ruined thousands of lives, and families.

I don't believe in a nanny state. It's not the role of the government to tell it's citizens what they can, and cannot ingest.Warnings, are certainly welcome, as well as education and reliable information about substances, and their effects..but that's it!

If a citizen commits a crime (assault, rape, murder, theft) they should be punished accordingly. The lies that have been fed to the public that it was the 'drug' made them do it is just that..a lie,,used to control and manipulate public perception.

The minute you make something illegal you give up control of it. Long overdue...

I, for one welcome the legalization of cannabis...
        Last edited by InfiniteDreams; 20 Jun 18,, 05:04.

Comment

Which then leads to the next question. How much will they tax it ?

Legalisation means taxation
          Last edited by Double Edge; 20 Jun 18,, 05:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
            Which then leads to the next question. How much will they tax it ?

Legislation means taxation
            As much as they possibly can without driving the industry underground.

Once they do tax it the politicians become 'addicted' to the tax money it brings in which is going to be substantial.

Fortunately, for the CIA in the U.S most states are still illegal so it won't eat too much into their profits, and they will still have some money off the books, to do with what they will, that they don't have to account for to Congress.

And that's what this is all about. The War on Drugs has created a windfall of money for U.S intelligence agencies to spend, bribe, carrot it's interest without having to get called to the hill to explain what money was allocated where...

I wouldn't doubt the profits of the Drug War have been so immense as to help fund Black Projects like the TR3B.

Comment

Go Canada! Once again proving itself to be the best country in the world (not just because they've legalized weed, though! There are a lot of other reasons why)

Weed never should have been illegal in the first place. It is way less dangerous than alcohol or ciggarettes but nobody ever thought to delegalize those, did they?

Taxation will definitely be a question, though.

Comment

This is good news for the Canadians. I did partake long ago but stopped after college. Because there is a time and place... Some places for work screened for it and marijuana stays in your blood stream for weeks. Coke & Heroin by comparison wash out in a couple of days. Life just isn't fair

The effects as far as i'm concerned are superior to alcohol by a long way. There is no violence, just bonding and fun. Fantastic conversations. Peace and love. Appetite inducing, great for recovering from any injuries. I know people who gave up smoking and just smoked it pure.

Natural drugs are more gentle than synthesised. Gentler highs and lows
                Cannabis is a herb. It's native to India. Traders took it out of India many centuries back. Our Gods smoke it. Screw the politicians!!!

DE, you forgot one thing. Long lasting erection and great fun in bed. Used to smoke the one grown in the Jungles in Manipur by the ultras, was very cheap too. Damn good stuff.

So many varieties. Higher above sea level it grows the better it is. Its real strange that Afghanistan isn't peaceful like Jamaica, just sayin'
                Hah! Got you finally. Afghanistan grows poppy, not cannabis. :D :D

Finally, congratulations Canadians, I am not sure about data, but your crime rate is going to fall. You all are going to eat a lot more food, and your wives/gfs would finally be happy.

Colonel OOE, your views please.
                Last edited by Oracle; 22 Jun 18,, 13:46.
                Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by InfiniteDreams View Post
                  Never should have been illegal to begin with...

Hopefully this is just the beginning, and we see other nations follow suit. In the U.S we have 9 states that allow recreational use (Alaska, California, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Nevada, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington), and more to follow it's just a matter of time.

I advocate legalizing ALL drugs. It's a freedom issue. A civil rights issue... when the government tells me what I can, and can't do when I am not harming anyone else they are infringing on my freedom.

These drug laws..and the war on drugs is a total sham, and has ruined thousands of lives, and families.

I don't believe in a nanny state. It's not the role of the government to tell it's citizens what they can, and cannot ingest.Warnings, are certainly welcome, as well as education and reliable information about substances, and their effects..but that's it!

If a citizen commits a crime (assault, rape, murder, theft) they should be punished accordingly. The lies that have been fed to the public that it was the 'drug' made them do it is just that..a lie,,used to control and manipulate public perception.

The minute you make something illegal you give up control of it. Long overdue...

I, for one welcome the legalization of cannabis...
                  Endorse every sentence. Though I would not go as far as legalising cocaine and that sort of hard drugs. Natural is okay. Natural is Cannabis, beer, wine, whisky, rum etc.
                  Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                    I don't partake, but I've always believed that using law enforcement resources and imprisoning people for something like weed is a waste of the taxpayer's money. It makes people feel funny and get hungry. I never understood why such a big deal was made out of it.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44543286
                    I don't think law enforcement spends a lot of time or money going after small-time recreational users. They like to hit dealers and suspected criminals with drug crimes, and that's not really going to change, just will change the law enforcement bodies. Alcohol is legal in the US, but we still have a ton of laws around it and someone is in charge of enforcing those liquor laws.

Also, Single Convention on Narcotics really needs to be re-negotiated since we have apparently all decided we're going to ignore it anyways.
                    "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Now I voted against legalizing marijuana in California for specific reasons. I pretty much don't care about recreational use as it shouldn't be criminalized. However, before doing that there needs to be some direction in the what/where/when it is allowed. Currently no test to prove you were driving under the influence as it has already happened here. Drunk driving is prohibited and so should driving while high be prohibited and prosecuted. It all makes driving by me more dangerous than it should be.

Second, what kind of controls would there be on growing the stuff. Sure it could be in large greenhouses but there are lots of people who like growing it out in the wild north of California like Mendocino on State, Federal and private land. Of course complete with booby traps and the inherent pollution by the heavy use of pesticides in some locations. Just because we made it legal doesn't mean there will be no problems. Where there is the potential for lots of money to be made.......

Comment

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                        I don't think law enforcement spends a lot of time or money going after small-time recreational users. They like to hit dealers and suspected criminals with drug crimes, and that's not really going to change, just will change the law enforcement bodies. Alcohol is legal in the US, but we still have a ton of laws around it and someone is in charge of enforcing those liquor laws.

Also, Single Convention on Narcotics really needs to be re-negotiated since we have apparently all decided we're going to ignore it anyways.
                        IDK, 85% of the state prison population in Florida are non violent drug offenders. Possession of more than 20grams ( 0.7 Ounces) is a felony

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                          Endorse every sentence. Though I would not go as far as legalising cocaine and that sort of hard drugs. Natural is okay. Natural is Cannabis, beer, wine, whisky, rum etc.
                          Natural is okay...why? And synthetic is not okay..why?

The biggest lie and misunderstanding about drug use is that when it gets legalized more users engage in it's use. The data says the exact opposite...drug use decreases when it becomes legalized.

I support legalizing all drugs...take cocaine for example 1) because I don't believe anymore people will be using the drug than are already once it's legalized, and 2) I don't want a Nanny state telling me what I can do. Just because 1 person out of a 100 acts like an idiot..e.g. gets in the car while drunk doesn't mean alcohol should be illegal for everyone. Punish the person according to the crime they committed.

There should be education about all substances available to the public..similar to what we've seen happen with Tobacco over the years. Tobacco has been demonized over the years..as it should be because of the dangers, and damage it does for those who smoke it regularly. Same should apply to other substances...let citizens decide for themselves what is good, and what is not. It's not the job of the government to mandate to the people.

Marijuana is illegal, but I can go into McDonald's every day to buy 10 double cheeseburgers with 10 Fries and eat until I drop dead of a heartache from a cholesterol overdose.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                            IDK, 85% of the state prison population in Florida are non violent drug offenders. Possession of more than 20grams ( 0.7 Ounces) is a felony
                            That doesn't really pass the smell test. US prison stats as a whole show something like the majority of state prisoners being held for a violent crime, with property damage following.

Here's the 2009 report, I don't think other recent years are substantially different: https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/p09.pdf

Here's the 538 snippet:
                            https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...incarceration/
                            According to the Bureau of Prisons, there are 207,847 people incarcerated in federal prisons. Roughly half (48.6 percent) are in for drug offenses. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, there are 1,358,875 people in state prisons. Of them, 16 percent have a drug crime as their most serious offense. There were also 744,600 inmates in county and city jails. (The BOP data is current as of July 16. From BJS, the latest jail statistics are from midyear 2014, and the latest prison statistics from year-end 2013.) That’s an incarceration rate of about 725 people per 100,000 population.

Suppose every federal drug offender were released today. That would cut the incarceration rate to about 693 inmates per 100,000 population. Suppose further that every drug offender in a state prison were also released. That would get the rate down to 625. It’s a significant drop, no question — these hypothetical measures would shrink the overall prison population by about 14 percent. (There isn’t data from BJS on the most serious charges faced by those in local jails, so let’s assume that no jail inmates are released in these scenarios.)
                            Something seems a bit off about that 85% percent figure, unless Florida is an extreme outlier.
                            "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                              That doesn't really pass the smell test. US prison stats as a whole show something like the majority of state prisoners being held for a violent crime, with property damage following.

Here's the 2009 report, I don't think other recent years are substantially different: https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/p09.pdf

Here's the 538 snippet:
                              https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...incarceration/

Something seems a bit off about that 85% percent figure, unless Florida is an extreme outlier.
                              2 things. I talked with a friend in Tallahassee that works for DOC.

Large influx of non violent drug offenders put into the state system post 2008.

What happened is that the Counties, post 2008, were cutting/are cutting their budgets and the easy way to keep jail cost down is to put them in the State system. If an individual is sentenced to 365 days or less, they serve time at the county level. A sentence of a year and a day moves them to State prison.

Second is that, and you may find it with reporting data from other states as well. Florida will say that 65% of persons in prison are violent offenders. But its a case of lies, damn lies and statistics. To get to that number they only count prisons that hold medium and high custody level prisoners. They do not include the inmates that are in Work Camps or Work Release Centers. Both are still prisons. They hold community and minimum custody inmates.

Of the 143 facilities run by the Dept of Corrections only 48 are "Corrections Facilities"

So maybe I should change the sentence to more accurately say " 85% of the people under Florida Dept of Corrections control are non-violent drug offenders"
                              Last edited by Gun Grape; 24 Jun 18,, 22:50.

Comment

Working...
                              X