No announcement yet.

Cannabis legalized in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So like in Maryland. The Parole and Probation department is affiliated with the DOC?
    Drug crimes are affiliated with DUI, Theft, Burglaries, Malicious Destruction, Domestics and othe Public Order crimes, the list goes on.
    Last edited by surfgun; 24 Jun 18,, 23:10.

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
      So like in Maryland. The Parole and Probation department is affiliated with the DOC?
      Yes , but those numbers are not included. There were 137,000 people on probation in Florida in 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
        unless Florida is an extreme outlier.
        Florida’s imprisonment rate is 23 percent higher than the national average, and 10th overall in the nation

Comment

Originally posted by InfiniteDreams View Post
          Natural is okay...why? And synthetic is not okay..why?
          I don't know. Feels bad. Let states legalise weed first, synthetic drugs will come later. A long way to go.

The biggest lie and misunderstanding about drug use is that when it gets legalized more users engage in it's use. The data says the exact opposite...drug use decreases when it becomes legalized.
          Data source? Though my gut feeling says it's true.

I support legalizing all drugs...take cocaine for example 1) because I don't believe anymore people will be using the drug than are already once it's legalized, and 2) I don't want a Nanny state telling me what I can do. Just because 1 person out of a 100 acts like an idiot..e.g. gets in the car while drunk doesn't mean alcohol should be illegal for everyone. Punish the person according to the crime they committed.

There should be education about all substances available to the public..similar to what we've seen happen with Tobacco over the years. Tobacco has been demonized over the years..as it should be because of the dangers, and damage it does for those who smoke it regularly. Same should apply to other substances...let citizens decide for themselves what is good, and what is not. It's not the job of the government to mandate to the people.

Marijuana is illegal, but I can go into McDonald's every day to buy 10 double cheeseburgers with 10 Fries and eat until I drop dead of a heartache from a cholesterol overdose.
          Agree, but still can't make up my mind on synthetic drugs.
          Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
            2 things. I talked with a friend in Tallahassee that works for DOC.

Large influx of non violent drug offenders put into the state system post 2008.

What happened is that the Counties, post 2008, were cutting/are cutting their budgets and the easy way to keep jail cost down is to put them in the State system. If an individual is sentenced to 365 days or less, they serve time at the county level. A sentence of a year and a day moves them to State prison.

Second is that, and you may find it with reporting data from other states as well. Florida will say that 65% of persons in prison are violent offenders. But its a case of lies, damn lies and statistics. To get to that number they only count prisons that hold medium and high custody level prisoners. They do not include the inmates that are in Work Camps or Work Release Centers. Both are still prisons. They hold community and minimum custody inmates.

Of the 143 facilities run by the Dept of Corrections only 48 are "Corrections Facilities"

So maybe I should change the sentence to more accurately say " 85% of the people under Florida Dept of Corrections control are non-violent drug offenders"
            Wow, thanks for the detail! I'll have to look into this. While that at least means you can't clear out the prison population, it definitely does make a difference whether we are judging what police are targeting. If the above is true, DOC and law enforcement are definitely spending too much time on drug offenses (IMHO anyways).
            "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
              Cannabis is a herb. It's native to India. Traders took it out of India many centuries back. Our Gods smoke it. Screw the politicians!!!
              It's not criminalised to the same extent as it is in the west and as Infinite dreams explained, the US is to drugs what the Saudis are to booze. Completely effed up. Some states are exceptions

DE, you forgot one thing. Long lasting erection and great fun in bed. Used to smoke the one grown in the Jungles in Manipur by the ultras, was very cheap too. Damn good stuff.
              I left that one to the imagination shall we say

Hah! Got you finally. Afghanistan grows poppy, not cannabis. :D :D
              yeah i know but they do they have weed there too as do the Paks and its pretty fine stuff

Comment

While I don't agree with the idea of legalizing methamphetamine, powder/crack cocaine, heroin, or fentanyl, I'd have absolutely no problem with the idea of legalizing things such as chewing coca leaf, or making coca tea. Chewing coca leaf or drinking coca tea doesn't seem any more dangerous to me than drinking coffee. A substantial portion of the US population are already caffeine-addicted, mentally unbalanced, sleep deprived, and over-stressed. If coca tea proved to be as "safe" as coffee, we wouldn't be any worse off than we are now. It would also create a profitable, alternate market for coca farmers in South America.

Heroin and cocaine were originally highly potent, concentrated pharmaceutical grade drugs, meant to be administered by a physician. Even if these are derived from naturally occurring opium and coca, it doesn't mean the processed pharmaceutical version is safe for consumption or should be allowed.

I saw a comment about the CIA having something to do with the drug trade and using it to fund black projects. Sounds to me like a conspiracy theory with no foundation in fact.
                Last edited by Ironduke; 28 Jun 18,, 13:22.
                "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                  I saw a comment about the CIA having something to do with the drug trade and using it to fund black projects. Sounds to me like a conspiracy theory with no foundation in fact.
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allega...ug_trafficking
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                    While I don't agree with the idea of legalizing methamphetamine, powder/crack cocaine, heroin, or fentanyl, I'd have absolutely no problem with the idea of legalizing things such as chewing coca leaf, or making coca tea. Chewing coca leaf or drinking coca tea doesn't seem any more dangerous to me than drinking coffee. A substantial portion of the US population are already caffeine-addicted, mentally unbalanced, sleep deprived, and over-stressed. If coca tea proved to be as "safe" as coffee, we wouldn't be any worse off than we are now. It would also create a profitable, alternate market for coca farmers in South America.

Heroin and cocaine were all originally highly potent, concentrated pharmaceutical grade drugs, meant to be administered by a physician. Even if the latter two are derived from naturally occurring opium and coca, it doesn't mean the pharmaceutical version is safe for consumption or should be allowed.
                    If these drugs are legalised then they become cash crops for famers in Colombia & Afghanistan. Would problems of addiction spread beyond because supply is more abundant now. This is a variation of if you legalise it more people will be hooked. That largely depends on how much it goes for. There will be a price crash for sure

A light weight version of Iran contra ?

Comment

I'm pretty sure the CIA isn't trafficking drugs to fund the non-existent Black Triangle UFO (TR-3B), as alleged in post #6.

Comment

Marijuana is illegal, but I can go into McDonald's every day to buy 10 double cheeseburgers with 10 Fries and eat until I drop dead of a heartache from a cholesterol overdose.
                        My advice, skip the fries and stick to the Double Cheeseburgers.

Or the Bacon McQuad. Yes, I made that and ate that. I spread it out a bit to capture all that beef and cheese in the photo.

Last edited by Ironduke; 27 Jun 18,, 07:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                          So many varieties. Higher above sea level it grows the better it is. Its real strange that Afghanistan isn't peaceful like Jamaica, just sayin'
                          How the Taliban Gets Its Cash
                          Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

I don't know. Feels bad. Let states legalise weed first, synthetic drugs will come later. A long way to go.
                            The sooner the better. Drug use needs to be treated as a medical illness, not a as a crime. People that abuse hard drugs are 'sick', and need to be helped not thrown in prison. Oh.."But they broke the law"...

Data source? Though my gut feeling says it's true.
                            I would defer to Portugal which stopped the war on drugs around 2001.

Agree, but still can't make up my mind on synthetic drugs.
                            We need a paradigm shift on how we look at drugs, and the drug war. No one who wants to live a good life (which anyone with half a brain does) wants to live a life dependent on drugs. Therefore, the notion that natural is okay, and synthetic is not goes out the window in my book.

The power should reside in the choice of the individual, not mandate by the government.

It's good to see there is some change in thinking, but it can't come soon enough as tremendous damage has been done with the war on drugs...which is a war on people.

Prison industrial complex, single childhood families (parents being ripped out of their homes and thrown in jail for long prison sentences), citizens getting busted for drugs which ends up affecting them the rest of their lives because they can't find employment due to previous convictions.

You get busted for drugs, and then realize you want to turn your life around, and make changes for the better..it's much harder to do with a felony drug record.

Comment

The sooner the better. Drug use needs to be treated as a medical illness, not a as a crime. People that abuse hard drugs are 'sick', and need to be helped not thrown in prison. Oh.."But they broke the law"...

I would defer to Portugal which stopped the war on drugs around 2001.

We need a paradigm shift on how we look at drugs, and the drug war. No one who wants to live a good life (which anyone with half a brain does) wants to live a life dependent on drugs. Therefore, the notion that natural is okay, and synthetic is not goes out the window in my book.

The power should reside in the choice of the individual, not mandate by the government.

It's good to see there is some change in thinking, but it can't come soon enough as tremendous damage has been done with the war on drugs...which is a war on people.

Prison industrial complex, single childhood families (parents being ripped out of their homes and thrown in jail for long prison sentences), citizens getting busted for drugs which ends up affecting them the rest of their lives because they can't find employment due to previous convictions.

You get busted for drugs, and then realize you want to turn your life around, and make changes for the better..it's much harder to do with a felony drug record.
                              +1

Fully agree. This is a very progressive post. Progressive somewhere in the 2100s maybe. :D

I am not even thinking of India, but is it possible in US?

Shouldn't prostitution be legalised then? Legalise and take the pimps out of the equation. Let women who want to sell their body, earn income and pay tax. Have a dedicated zone of real estate for them.

The problem as I see it, is our Governments have been taking a moral stand on such issues, and bans placed on those have pushed businesses underground. Crimes rise because of that, add to that black money generation. The Government can always tax these out of business, if things go south.

Comment

The problem as I see it, is our Governments have been taking a moral stand on such issues, and bans placed on those have pushed businesses underground. Crimes rise because of that, add to that black money generation. The Government can always tax these out of business, if things go south.
                                In several states drug dealers are required, by law, to get a stamp from their state's Department of Revenue, and affix that stamp to the bags of drugs they're selling.

North Carolina: Unauthorized Substances Tax

About The Unauthorized Substances Tax
                                (North Carolina General Statutes 105-113.105 Through 105-113.113)

What is the unauthorized substances tax?

The unauthorized substances tax is an excise tax on controlled substances (marijuana, cocaine, etc.), illicit spirituous liquor ("moonshine"), mash and illicit mixed beverages.

Who is required to pay the tax?

The tax is due by any individual who possesses an unauthorized substance upon which the tax has not been paid, as evidenced by a stamp.

When is the tax due?

The tax is payable within 48 hours after an individual acquires possession of an unauthorized substance upon which the tax has not been paid, as evidenced by a stamp.

Do I have to identify myself when I pay the tax?

No. Individuals who purchase stamps from the Department of Revenue are not required to give their name, address, social security number, or other identifying information.

What should I do with the stamps that I receive after I pay the tax?

The stamps must be permanently affixed to the unauthorized substance. Once the tax due on an unauthorized substance has been paid and the stamps affixed, no additional tax is due even though the unauthorized substance may be handled or possessed by other individuals in the future.

Will the Department of Revenue notify law enforcement if I purchase stamps to affix to my unauthorized substances?

No. Not withstanding any other provision of law, information obtained pursuant to the unauthorized substances tax law is confidential and may not be disclosed or, unless independently obtained, used in a criminal prosecution other than a prosecution for a violation of the unauthorized substances tax law. Revenue employees who divulge information regarding stamp purchasers to law enforcement shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

How are unauthorized substances tax collections used?

Seventy-five percent (75%) of the money collected is returned to the state or local law enforcement agency whose investigation led to the assessment. The remaining twenty-five percent (25%) of the money collected is credited to the General Fund.

If I purchase stamps will I then be in legal possession of the drugs?

No, purchasing stamps only fulfills your civil unauthorized substance tax obligation. You will still be in violation of the criminal statues of North Carolina for possessing the drugs.

What number can I call to get an application for stamps or more information on the unauthorized substances tax?

1-877-308-9103

Comment

Working...
                                X