Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

Really enjoyed his shows, the few times I've watched TV and happened to have stumbled across them.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/an...bit/index.html

CNN's Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

New York (CNN)Anthony Bourdain, the gifted chef, storyteller and writer who took TV viewers around the world to explore culture, cuisine and the human condition for nearly two decades, has died. He was 61.

CNN confirmed Bourdain's death on Friday and said the cause of death was suicide.

Bourdain was in France working on an upcoming episode of his award-winning CNN series, "Parts Unknown." His close friend Eric Ripert, the French chef, found Bourdain unresponsive in his hotel room Friday morning.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

This really hit me. It isn't simply because I'm a fan, but because someone so unlike me in so many ways could still feel a despair that I know only too well. There is a part of me that admired and envied Bourdain. He seemed to have a life I would love - travel, food, friends. He seemed the opposite of someone you would expect to have depression, yet clearly it was deep in his soul.

There is something here for all of us. If you are depressed, don't keep it inside. Whatever fears you have about talking about it, they pale in comparison to the consequences of not talking. For those of us who have never suffered or who have survived, always try to be there if someone needs you. Depression thrives on isolation & solitude. Be a non judgemental shoulder. it might just make the difference.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

May was Mental Health Awareness Month.

Sadly the '[clinical] diagnosis of depression' continues to increase.
      Is this a "statement of our times" or has the pharmaceutical industry weighed in ?

I can fully understand how some people push their boundaries bordering on death while others suffer from serious manic depression.
      If only those in the latter category would reach out to their loved ones, friends or even trained mental health counselors for intervention prior to undertaking that final self-inflicted release into eternity.

The adage "don't judge (manic depressives) until you walk in their shoes" is something I hope never to try or contemplate. I just hope those that seriously require intervention can discover and receive proper care when required.
      RIP Anthony at 61.
      Real eyes realize real lies.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
        He seemed to have a life I would love - travel, food, friends. He seemed the opposite of someone you would expect to have depression, yet clearly it was deep in his soul.

There is something here for all of us. If you are depressed, don't keep it inside. Whatever fears you have about talking about it, they pale in comparison to the consequences of not talking. For those of us who have never suffered or who have survived, always try to be there if someone needs you. Depression thrives on isolation & solitude. Be a non judgemental shoulder. it might just make the difference.
        This...

He had a life I dreamed about.
        "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

When people ask "What job would you like to have?' I always said I want Bourdain's job. Because he has the best job in the world.

If anything good has come of this, its that it has started the conversation about depression/suicide

Comment

The real victims of suicide are those that ever gave a damn for the one that decided to take the abrupt exit stage left. The pain in them will linger for years if not for the rest of their lives.

Comment

This one was a hell of a shocker. One of those "you never know" kind of things. Depression can hit anyone at any time, and it's a real bear to try to deal with yourself.
              "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Good entertainer, loved his shows. RIP.
                Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                  I had an aunt that developed this a few years after she lost her husband. People said later she was depressed. None of us realised it at the time. The problem was she was depressed about things that weren't really problems. Nobody could tell her otherwise

The worst part was she blamed her kids about it. So her brothers, sisters and friends took her side against her kids that had zero defense. This went on until we lost her some years later for something unrelated. It was horrible for my cousins, people they'd known all their lives just turned on them. At one point even i bought into it until they sat me down and talked some sense into me. Let's just say she had a way with people, nobody would doubt her or question. But the real question to be asked was were the kids responsible, this only few people were able to resist.

I have no idea how you deal with something like this even with treatment. She was everybody's shoulder to cry on when they were in trouble and when she was in trouble nobody could do a damn thing. Her house was an open house, people would come over all the time and hang out. No shortage of friends

I suspect Bourdain was on anti-depressants and there came a point where he just snapped
                  Last edited by Double Edge; 09 Jun 18,, 21:30.

Comment

Originally posted by PeeCoffee View Post
                    Sadly the '[clinical] diagnosis of depression' continues to increase.
                    Is this a "statement of our times" or has the pharmaceutical industry weighed in ?

I can fully understand how some people push their boundaries bordering on death while others suffer from serious manic depression.
                    If only those in the latter category would reach out to their loved ones, friends or even trained mental health counselors for intervention prior to undertaking that final self-inflicted release into eternity.
                    Whether that reaching out and getting treatment is contributing to increases of depression or not ?

What i'm getting at is does this industry have the slightest clue about what its doing or not. Or do they need more guinea pigs to get it right !!!
                    Last edited by Double Edge; 09 Jun 18,, 21:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                      Whether that reaching out and getting treatment is contributing to increases of depression or not ?

What i'm getting at is does this industry have the slightest clue about what its doing or not. Or do they need more guinea pigs to get it right !!!
                      DE,

I think at least some of the increase is a greater willingness of people to identify a condition as depression. We are better at detecting and more willing to say so. Treatment has most certainly improved. The sorts of drug treatments people were being given even 25 years ago were primitive compared to what is available now. Side effects were much worse and improvements much less. We are much better at treatment and people are more prepared to ask for it.

None of that guarantees outcomes. Some people can't be helped. Some can be helped but aren't. Some manage for years but then, for some reason, lose their battle. I wouldn't assume Bourdain was on medication. he may have stopped when he felt 'better' and had a sudden relapse. No two cases are identical.

When I was 25 I was convinced I would be dead by 40, probably by my own hand. By the time I was 40 a combination of chemical & 'talking cure' saw me at my happiest since I was 10. I haven't required either form of treatment in almost a decade. It was a tough battle and I am keenly aware that of the dangers of relapse. As a society we just have to keep trying and especially keep talking about it.
                      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

I have a cousin who's bipolar. When he takes his meds you wouldn't know there was anything wrong. It's when he stops that he goes mental. As far as treatment for this condition goes, there is definitely progress

But bipolar isn't depression which is silent, insidious and deceptive. I don't know if one would know if they were depressed or not. Clinically that is. Maybe others would notice it

I have a niece studying drama therapy in Australia. It's to get people to act out because they cannot or don't want to talk about problems. This is the thing, there is a stigma attached to going to see a shrink. Society assumes you've lost it. But psychiatrists will tell you that only 2% qualify as crazy. The rest are working professionals stressed out and depressed about something.

There is a coming out of the closet aspect here
                        Last edited by Double Edge; 10 Jun 18,, 03:29.

Comment

Despite tons of research and many patients, there is no reliable treatment regime for depression. Talk therapy, drugs and lifestyle changes are effective, but success is not guaranteed. As Bourdain's case shows, deeply depressed people can live for decades being gainfully employed and raise children, and still kill themselves. Treating depressed teens is even trickier. Remember the wave of alarm that some anti-depressants increase suicide risk in teenagers? The explanation I heard is that anti-depressants improves energy, and kids previously too exhausted to even commit suicide obtained the energy to do so.
                          Last edited by Triple C; 17 Jun 18,, 11:16.
                          All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                          -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Working...
                          X