Old Tech vs New Tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
    Looking to the position of the sun in the sky is good enough to get one's general bearings. Or the direction of twilight before and after the sun has set.

Only some tens of millions of the 7.7 billion people on Earth live in northern latitudes where the latter phenomenon exists. Maybe 1% of the world's population. The number in the southern hemisphere is so small, it's practically zero.
    That "phenomenon exist all over the planet. The variation being different depending on your latitude.

Where I live (Panhandle of Florida) sits at 30 Deg lat. The deviation during the solstice's is 27 Deg. So the difference in the direction that the sun rises in summer and winter will be up to 54 Deg
    The increasing inability to intuitively navigate and wayfind, in the age of GPS and smartphones, is what I believe to simply be a stark example of the erosion of the skills and capabilities of a human mind, in the age of technology. The increasing inability to tell east from west, when it's plain as day which way is which, is just an example within that example.
    Having done the land Nav thing since the late 1970s ( and being around 2dLts). I can state with confidence that there is no such thing as an intuitive ability to navigate. It is a science and a highly perishable skill.
    Even late in my former life, where navigation and knowing your location was a basic requirement for my job, I've found myself disorientated/lost.

GPS is not a crutch, nor erodes the skills and capabilities of the human mind. It allows us to focus on other task. It definatly doesn't erode skills because navigation has never been a skill that the majority of people throughout recorded history had.

Think of it like a stove or coffee maker. When I want a cup of the Nectar of the Gods I push a button on my coffee maker and 3 min later pour a cup. I don't need to practice my fire making skills, where to collect tinder ect..

Take a civil engineer from the times of the Roman Empire vs. one from the 21st century. The modern-day civil engineer uses computers and programs such as AutoCAD to do much of the work. The engineer from Roman times, the engineer's brain itself was a biological computer, and I suspect it was vastly more capable and complex than a modern mind in the same profession today. The same could be said for navigators on ships in the Age of Sail, vs navigators on ships today.
    Thats like saying a carpenter today is less capable than those of old because he/she uses a nail gun instead of using dowels or mortises to fasten wood together

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
      Looking to the position of the sun in the sky is good enough to get one's general bearings. Or the direction of twilight before and after the sun has set.

Only some tens of millions of the 7.7 billion people on Earth live in northern latitudes where the latter phenomenon exists. Maybe 1% of the world's population. The number in the southern hemisphere is so small, it's practically zero.

The increasing inability to intuitively navigate and wayfind, in the age of GPS and smartphones, is what I believe to simply be a stark example of the erosion of the skills and capabilities of a human mind, in the age of technology. The increasing inability to tell east from west, when it's plain as day which way is which, is just an example within that example.

Take a civil engineer from the times of the Roman Empire vs. one from the 21st century. The modern-day civil engineer uses computers and programs such as AutoCAD to do much of the work. The engineer from Roman times, the engineer's brain itself was a biological computer, and I suspect it was vastly more capable and complex than a modern mind in the same profession today. The same could be said for navigators on ships in the Age of Sail, vs navigators on ships today.
      Let's get some perspective here. Before the 1920s, 95% of the earth's population lived in proverty and even more were illiterate. All those people with the knowledge of navigation and civil engineering were not spreading their knowledge base any. Open sea navigation were only possible with some sort of compass and really took hold when the sextant came into being. And time constrains were measured in months.

For most people, if the roof didn't fall down, that's good enough. Today? We're swamped with building codes that would make a Roman civil engineer spin in his grave and he would have absolutely no clue how we did the sky scrappers.

That one Roman civil engineer may be able to figure out in his head how much load a certain arc could hold but I rather have 97% of my population who can read/write. Our architects may need autocad but having a litterate population is heads and shoulders above Roman civilization.
      Chimo

Comment

• Old tech wins this one hands down

Comment

• Well according to the vid, this is just jacked up priced repackaged old tech.
          Chimo

Comment

• Convection ovens never really took off in Europe outside professional gastronomy. Which means i can't really buy one that's advertised as such unless i'm willing to drop literally a four-digit sum on the table - and size-wise i'd get a replacement for a proper oven for twice the price that way, nothing fancy. Sort of how like microwave ovens weren't really a thing at all here until the early 90s.

There's one point made in the vid that is portrayed as in favor of the convection oven that also wouldn't be a selling point here. "It gets hot". Waste heat is wasted energy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hazaddum
              Their programmer said that they use NTA. Unfortunately he was in a hurry and couldn't explain to me all the details of this approach to security. Maybe anybody here can do that? Would appreciate that greatly!
              NTA stands for network traffic analysis. One out of every two companies has infrastructure that can be breached by hackers. Once they break into your internal network, their actions will go unnoticed by perimeter defenses and the hacker is able to remain unnoticed within the network for a great length of time. NTA helps to uncover attackers on an early stage. Here is an article about that in case you need more details https://www.ptsecurity.com/ww-en/ana...d-nta-systems/.

Comment

Working...
              X