Old Tech vs New Tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
    New tech thing that I love. Electronic banking. Especially depositing checks.

Old way was, once I received a check, filled out a deposit slip and took to to my local branch bank. If after 2PM they processed it the next day and it took 3-5 working days for the money to show up in my account.

Now days, You hand me a check. I use the bank app on my phone to take a picture of it front and back (with endorsement for E-deposit only). Within 2 min I receive a text telling me that the image was accepted. Within 30min I get a text telling me that the check was processed and money has been credited to my account. And it doesn't matter what time of day or night I send the image.

Works great for me, especially since my primary bank is based in Va. And the nearest branch office is close to 40 miles away.
    Really, and what bank is that? With Chase if you transfer money from one account to the other after 11 pm EST (8 pm my time) it is not credited till the morning. If you deposit a check only half the amount is available for the first 24 hours.

Comment

• The last time i've seen a check was in the mid 80s. Banks here charge to cash them nowadays, always require the original and don't need to cash if it's older than 8 days; in any financial transfer the receiving party does not need to accept checks anyway.

Only country over here that still uses checks somewhat widely is France, mostly older people there - 10% of all money transfers there being made by cheque, and that accounts for 85% of all check use in the European Union. They're slowly dieing there too though.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
        Really, and what bank is that? With Chase if you transfer money from one account to the other after 11 pm EST (8 pm my time) it is not credited till the morning. If you deposit a check only half the amount is available for the first 24 hours.
        NFCU.

Transfers from one account to another happens immediately. There is a 2 grand per day limit on E-checks. Anything over 1000, they limit the amount immediately available to $500 for 24 hours.

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post
          The last time i've seen a check was in the mid 80s. Banks here charge to cash them nowadays, always require the original and don't need to cash if it's older than 8 days; in any financial transfer the receiving party does not need to accept checks anyway.
          I live in a small town in the redneck/Bible thumping part of Florida. Most people want to use either cash or write a check.

I write 2 checks per month. The local natural gas company and the local water utility. Neither have the ability to accept electronic transfers/bill pay. They don't even have card readers so you could go in person and swipe your debit/credit card.
          The telephone company was the same until they got bought out by a nationwide company.

The county government is the same. Get a new drivers license,Fishing license, pay property taxes, get a building permit. All require either a hard check or cash. However there is a ATM machine located in the Tax Collectors office.

Its like stepping back in time 30 years.

Comment

I live in a small town in the redneck/Bible thumping part of Florida. Most people want to use either cash or write a check.

I write 2 checks per month. The local natural gas company and the local water utility. Neither have the ability to accept electronic transfers/bill pay. They don't even have card readers so you could go in person and swipe your debit/credit card.
            The telephone company was the same until they got bought out by a nationwide company.

The county government is the same. Get a new drivers license,Fishing license, pay property taxes, get a building permit. All require either a hard check or cash. However there is a ATM machine located in the Tax Collectors office.

Its like stepping back in time 30 years.
            I'm probably 40-50 years back in time then.

If I don't have enough cash on me to buy what I'm about to go shopping for, I'll go 15-20 minutes out of my way to get cash from an ATM, then proceed to the grocery store or wherever. If I'm at a bar and I run out of money, I'll go several blocks to withdraw cash from my bank's ATM and come back to the bar.

I've had my bank account robbed several times though. Someone charged several hundred dollars in London on my debit card last decade, then just last year I had a pending charge for a hotel room in Florida which I noticed in time, and I immediately canceled my card.

It's just too risky to put my debit card information out there by swiping it everywhere for every purchase. Payment processing companies keep getting hacked left and right and the information is sold by hackers to thieves who either illicitly make clones of people's debit/credit cards, or make online purchases. So I draw out the cash, then spend cash.

I've never been mugged. If someone tried to mug me, either me or the mugger is going to end up dead. I can protect my cash, but I can't stop payment processing companies, banks, and stores from being hacked.
            Last edited by Ironduke; 06 Jul 18,, 02:20.
            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post

I've never been mugged. If someone tried to mug me, either me or the mugger is going to end up dead. I can protect my cash, but I can't stop payment processing companies, banks, and stores from being hacked.
              Unless it is two muggers. One in front with a handgun and the other behind with a shotgun. At that point the odds aren't in your favor. Ask me how I know...

Comment

• Getting shot over money isn't worth it.

I use my cards for almost everything and do most payments online, but the new Google Pay/Quick Pay/Venmo, etc. are all things I'm not particularly interested in. I'd prefer to just cut a check or receive a check from people. Either that or just get paid cash.

From a back-end perspective, getting electronic payments set-up is actually a lot of work for companies. Checks are also handy because if you receive unknown payments, you know who sent it: There's a payee name right on it. If you get an electronic payment from someone, you often have fuck all idea what it is for or who sent it. I was in charge of sorting out the unknown cash for one of the biggest US companies, and believe me, the checks were a hell of a lot easier to investigate than the ACHs.

Don't even get me started on wires. Those things are freaking impossible if you don't know who sent it. Particularly sucked when we were getting international wires. Who asked for this money from Venezuela? Beats me! Thankfully the person who knew happened to be sitting right behind me.

I have only ever lived in pretty nice areas, so mugging has never been a concern. Even the downtown areas of Chicago are relatively nice. Not much to worry about.
                Last edited by GVChamp; 06 Jul 18,, 14:23.
                "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                  New bathroom fan means I don't have humidity problems in the bathroom anymore!
                  Hopefully you've got it on a delayed timer. Turns on when you turn on the lights in the bathroom, and runs for 10-15 minutes after you turn the light off. If you don't, it's worth hiring an electrician to install a switch and wiring that does just that.

In my four years as a handyman, there were 16 college students sharing three bathrooms, and besides all the other disasters you can imagine in such a situation, proper ventilation and moisture buildup leading to mold was a constant battle.

Of the 60 students who lived in the house during my time there, nobody even knew how to plunge a clogged toilet. They didn't even know how to use a stove properly, or to wipe their feet on the rugs I placed at all the entryways, that I provided at my own expense. One kid literally bricked the dishwasher by putting Dawn dish soap in it, which killed the pump. Apparently he thought the cubic yard of suds that had come out the dishwasher, two feet away from him whilst he was cooking on the stove, was perfectly normal.

So you can imagine how problematic the bathrooms were.

I'd recommend painting the bathroom with oil paint. It'll last the life of your home, and you can wipe the mold off with a damp sponge. If you're not keen on oil paint, mold also rather easily cleans off easily from high gloss paint. Flat paints, you're screwed once you've got a mold problem.
                  Last edited by Ironduke; 06 Jul 18,, 22:34.

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post
                    What do you do if you want to plug in a vacuum cleaner for example - because mine for example already requires 7.5A at full power, and it's not exactly anything special...?
                    I'm trying to think of whether I ever saw any carpeted rooms while I was over there. I don't think I did.

Oracle or Double Edge know better than me on this subject, but I don't think wall-to-wall carpeted rooms like we have in the West are often seen in India. Hard floors, with stone or ceramic tile, or just plain cement, and they put down rugs on the floors. They sweep/mop the floors, and beat the rugs outside. If vacuums aren't needed and ownership is rare, they're not a factor when it comes to loads on electrical circuits.

In the West, almost everyone owns and uses a vacuum cleaner, so our circuits have to be able to withstand the load.
                    Last edited by Ironduke; 06 Jul 18,, 20:15.

Comment

Houses in Florida don't have basements.
                      Why is that ?

The one thing i notice in my city is the lack of underground parking. Too much granite. You hit it at just 25-50ft down. Apt buildings do have a basement parking but its really just a little below street level.

Nobody has a basement here. I'd love one though
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 06 Jul 18,, 22:43.

Comment

Would rather read the transcripts. It would take only about five minutes to read the transcript, whereas the equivalent amount of discussions/talks would take an hour to listen to/watch. If I'm going to take the time to listen to/watch something, it's going to be music, film, or some other type of performance art.
                        How well would you retain what you read though, i find i do better if i listen and my eyes get tired after a bit. I have a pillow speaker so listen for an hour before going to bed. It's possible to speed things up say 1.5x but its gets harder to retain that way.

I've yet to come across any software that could spit out a decent transcript from an audio file. Speech recognition these days is very good. Cortana, Siri & Google grasp very well what is said.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                          Why is that ?

The one thing i notice in my city is the lack of underground parking. Too much granite. You hit it at just 25-50ft down. Apt buildings do have a basement parking but its really just a little below street level.

Nobody has a basement here. I'd love one though
                          You will strike water before you dig 10ft.

Comment

You will strike water before you dig 10ft.
                            That probably accounts for the sinkholes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                              How well would you retain what you read though
                              Very well. I do better with visual recall than auditory recall.

Comment

I'm probably 40-50 years back in time then.

If I don't have enough cash on me to buy what I'm about to go shopping for, I'll go 15-20 minutes out of my way to get cash from an ATM, then proceed to the grocery store or wherever. If I'm at a bar and I run out of money, I'll go several blocks to withdraw cash from my bank's ATM and come back to the bar.

I've had my bank account robbed several times though. Someone charged several hundred dollars in London on my debit card last decade, then just last year I had a pending charge for a hotel room in Florida which I noticed in time, and I immediately canceled my card.

It's just too risky to put my debit card information out there by swiping it everywhere for every purchase. Payment processing companies keep getting hacked left and right and the information is sold by hackers to thieves who either illicitly make clones of people's debit/credit cards, or make online purchases. So I draw out the cash, then spend cash.

Your post made me think of this

Click image for larger version

Name:	online robbery.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1476859

I just won't use my debit card at all. We have something called internet banking here which is effectively an account to account transfer. No card details shared. It's India only though. Only thing that convinced me was the 2FA. I don't buy anything with the phone its just for receiving a code. I've since relaxed this with some food orders and do everything with the phone.

Why aren't you using a credit card ?!? there are so many protections in the US around this. Isn't half as good in India when this happens with overseas transactions. My bank caught some fraudulent transfers, next thing i know they cancelled all the cards that had transactions on them in a certain date window. Went to the ATM said no go. GO to the bank manager tells me his card got cancelled too.

As far as this thread goes, i prefer cash to card to e-payments and just forget using my phone to do this instead. Android pay, Apple pay, Samsung pay etc.
                                Last edited by Double Edge; 06 Jul 18,, 23:40.

Comment

Working...
                                X