Old Tech vs New Tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
    he wasn't using the water for consumption. he was using geothermal to heat his house
    My bad, I didn't fully read the Colonel's post.

Even so, I'd do rain barrel collection if I were a home owner, and would recommend it to anybody who is, and use the water for the purposes I described. Even if there were a municipal water supply connection to the house.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Nothing . But

The nav system in my car allows me to program my destination in it, with side trips included. It then calculates the three best routes (Fastest, shortest, best gas mileage).
      Gives me the mileage to destination and est time of arrival. (Continuously updated)
      While driving it alerts me to road construction, traffic jams, accidents. In towns it alerts me to traffic cameras at intersections
      It tells me ahead of time (1 mile, 1/2 mile, 500 ft) when I need to change lanes to make a turn.Or that a turn is coming up. ( would have been lost without this feature driving through Houston Tx)
      It tells me where gas stations are.
      When I get hungry it plots out restaurants. And I can choose which type for it to display. So if I'm in an unfamiliar city and want to find a Korean restaurant the nav system can find all of them in a set radius and give me directions. ( loved this in San Antonio)
      And I never have to look down, or depend on a a-driver to read the map
      Still use my AAA maps. Glove boxes have the local area maps and others stored in my garage. Always review the location that I have never been to ahead of time and write it down. To find anything else I use my natural hunting instincts to feel them out.

Comment

Nothing . But

The nav system in my car allows me to program my destination in it, with side trips included. It then calculates the three best routes (Fastest, shortest, best gas mileage).
        Gives me the mileage to destination and est time of arrival. (Continuously updated)
        While driving it alerts me to road construction, traffic jams, accidents. In towns it alerts me to traffic cameras at intersections
        It tells me ahead of time (1 mile, 1/2 mile, 500 ft) when I need to change lanes to make a turn.Or that a turn is coming up. ( would have been lost without this feature driving through Houston Tx)
        It tells me where gas stations are.
        When I get hungry it plots out restaurants. And I can choose which type for it to display. So if I'm in an unfamiliar city and want to find a Korean restaurant the nav system can find all of them in a set radius and give me directions. ( loved this in San Antonio)
        And I never have to look down, or depend on a a-driver to read the map
        DOR's post was that he was having a hard time for the last 100 miles to home. Even with GPS, there should be a map to show which highways to take until you reach near your turn off point. I have a hard time imagining anyone who can't keep in his head what's the next exit point on the highway is. After that, skirt off the highway and look up the next exit point. Basic orienteering.
        Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
          My bad, I didn't fully read the Colonel's post.

Even so, I'd do rain barrel collection if I were a home owner, and would recommend it to anybody who is, and use the water for the purposes I described. Even if there were a municipal water supply connection to the house.
          We don't have a problem with collecting rain water. It's usually call snow.
          Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
            DOR's post was that he was having a hard time for the last 100 miles to home. Even with GPS, there should be a map to show which highways to take until you reach near your turn off point. I have a hard time imagining anyone who can't keep in his head what's the next exit point on the highway is. After that, skirt off the highway and look up the next exit point. Basic orienteering.
            The nav system in my truck and the car both display the map on a 7.5in screen in the center console. You can adjust the setting down to a 500meter area. The display in the dash, between the tach and speedometer, only gives an arrow and how far away a turn is. With the name of the street and direction given or on a multi-lane highway which lane I need to be in.

Comment

The light switches in your house aren't designed to last 15+ years. Doesn't make them low quality.
              Mine are 40 years old. So are the ceiling fans. The fridge is even older

Comment

The light switches in your house aren't designed to last 15+ years. Doesn't make them low quality.
                There's a push button light switch for the hallway lights eight feet away from me. I'm sure it's around 100 years old.

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                Mine are 40 years old. So are the ceiling fans. The fridge is even older
                Is it one of those fridges that latches shut? New manufacture of those was outlawed in the US back in the 1950s. I've come across them from time to time. Usually they've got a relatively modern fridge upstairs, and moved the old one to the basement. Quite often the man of the house uses it for beer and other beverages. 60 or 70 years old, and they still work just as well as the day they were made.

Been to a few estate sales as well where every kitchen appliance in the house is from the 1950s. They all still worked.

While I'm on the subject of things from the 1950s that still work, my grandpa had a collection of Craftsman power tools. All metal chrome alloyed steel casing, very heavy, two prong, no ground, but they all still worked in the 2000s. I've no idea where they ended up.
                Last edited by Ironduke; 17 Jun 18,, 06:38.

Comment

Ever been on a highway for the first time?
                  Ever had to cover a route in a car for the first time?

Yeah, that part about not owning a car and all that means that I don't drive the last 100 miles around my house.
                  Well, I did once, but that was it.

I take the train out to Heathrow to rent a car, so I don't have to drive in London traffic.

ADD: Maps? Hertz didn't supply any and I had a Sat Nav.
                  Any more complaints?
                  Last edited by DOR; 17 Jun 18,, 08:57.
                  Trust me?
                  I'm an economist!

Comment

Is it one of those fridges that latches shut? New manufacture of those was outlawed in the US back in the 1950s. I've come across them from time to time. Usually they've got a relatively modern fridge upstairs, and moved the old one to the basement. Quite often the man of the house uses it for beer and other beverages. 60 or 70 years old, and they still work just as well as the day they were made.

Been to a few estate sales as well where every kitchen appliance in the house is from the 1950s. They all still worked.

While I'm on the subject of things from the 1950s that still work, my grandpa had a collection of Craftsman power tools. All metal chrome alloyed steel casing, very heavy, two prong, no ground, but they all still worked in the 2000s. I've no idea where they ended up.
                    No this one doesn't lock like that. A relative that was in the refrigeration business had one like that. He would never part with it ever. Dated to the 40s i think, american model, name escapes me.

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post

Yeah, that part about not owning a car and all that means that I don't drive the last 100 miles around my house.

I take the train out to Heathrow to rent a car, so I don't have to drive in London traffic.

Any more complaints?
                      When I drive long distance, I memorize the highways and roads I need to drive on, the mile/exit numbers, and so on. I get a full tank of gas, clean the windows, headlights/taillights, all fluids checked, tire pressure checked. Then I go into what I call "Autobahn Mode". Precision driving, relying on memorization from the map, no distractions, no cell phone, no screens, 70s/80s rock on the radio, energy drinks (if needed) and my e-cigarette to keep me alert.

Comment

Yes, yes, and yes, and off road with nothing more than a map and compass and sniper scopes all around me making sure that I don't deviate from the planned route.

Any more complaints?
                        You can't have forgotten when you were 16 and drove to nowhere and found your way back.
                        Chimo

Comment

When I drive long distance, I memorize the highways and roads I need to drive on, the mile/exit numbers, and so on. I get a full tank of gas, clean the windows, headlights/taillights, all fluids checked, tire pressure checked. Then I go into what I call "Autobahn Mode". Precision driving, relying on memorization from the map, no distractions, no cell phone, no screens, 70s/80s rock on the radio, energy drinks (if needed) and my e-cigarette to keep me alert.
                          When I traveled from Panama City to San Antonio (850 miles) I packed the car, put the address to the hotel we were staying in the destination screen and started driving.
                          When I need to get gas I pushed the find gas station button, and got directions to every gas station within 25 miles. Same as when we got hungry. Pushed find restaurants.

Never got lost, was never in the wrong lane for an exit. Even in Houston, with 12 lanes of traffic and everyone going 80MPH. Exits could be in any of the lanes, no problem, Nav system told me which lane to get into for upcoming exit with plenty of time to execute.

Comment

Yes, yes, and yes, and off road with nothing more than a map and compass and sniper scopes all around me making sure that I don't deviate from the planned route.
                            How many people in the S-2 and S-3 did it take to make those strip maps/plan the route for you?

How many years have you practiced vehicular navigation with a map and compass/GPS?

The vehicle nav systems allow anyone to do it. hertz should have had someone show DOR how to operate the vehicles systems. Takes less than 5 min to learn

Comment

Same as when we got hungry.
                              I can kind of see where you're coming from when there's "we" in the car. When I drive, it tends to be "I".

If you can't re-fill the Gatorade bottle back up with your own "lemon-lime" while you're driving, or have all your food and drink within reach on the passenger seat, and you've got to accommodate the needs of several other people beside yourself, maybe sat-nav makes sense.

I haven't really done any driving where I can't re-use the Gatorade bottle. Even when there's other people in the car. Not saying I have. But I could have if I wanted.

While I'm on the thought of Gatorade bottles, I think they're designed that way as a form of dual-use technology.
                              Last edited by Ironduke; 18 Jun 18,, 05:33.

Comment

I can kind of see where you're coming from when there's "we" in the car. When I drive, it tends to be "I".

If you can't re-fill the Gatorade bottle back up with your own "lemon-lime" while you're driving, or have all your food and drink within reach on the passenger seat, and you've got to accommodate the needs of several other people beside yourself, maybe sat-nav makes sense.

I haven't really done any driving where I can't re-use the Gatorade bottle. Even when there's other people in the car. Not saying I have. But I could have if I wanted.

While I'm on the thought of Gatorade bottles, I think they're designed that way as a form of dual-use technology.
                                I used Hertz long ago on a trip in Cleveland. Hertz had a system called Never lost. I insisted on renting a car with that option. When i arrived at the airport, keyed destination of hotel and business after and even the route back to the airport when i finished my gig there. This was back in 2000. Google was just starting up with their search business.

Way better than a map, remembering all those things you said exits and what ever in an unfamiliar town would be a real hassle. Having a navigator helps a great deal. It used to be another human in the good old days

I remember my friends driving me around in Somerset, all they did was remember village names, this is on country roads in England with no street lights on the route and at night. Basic orienteering like OOE said. They never got lost. Always amazed me. Course they grew up there and knew the area like the back of their hand
                                Last edited by Double Edge; 18 Jun 18,, 06:56.

Comment

Working...
                                X