Old Tech vs New Tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
    I've spent a part of my adult life in rural areas on the southern Canadian Shield, where I was born. I'm fully aware of and have experienced many of the things you speak of firsthand.
    There's night and day difference between CFB Petawawa and CFB Cold Lake. I've never seen bug clouds at CFB Pet but bug clouds at Cold Lake have darkened the sun.

Still, yeah, I rather deal with bugs than feelings.
    Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
      There's night and day difference between CFB Petawawa and CFB Cold Lake. I've never seen bug clouds at CFB Pet but bug clouds at Cold Lake have darkened the sun.
      I've been out boating and killed 100 black flies with a single swing of a rolled up fishing regulation handbook from MN Department of Natural Resources.

I swung hundreds of times. Tens of thousands of black flies dead in less than an hour.

How does that compare to Cold Lake?
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

IHow does that compare to Cold Lake?
        Let's put it this way. CF-18s have been grounded because of bug clouds.
        Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
          Let's put it this way. CF-18s have been grounded because of bug clouds.
          Cold Lake is far worse than.

How do prop aircraft fare in bug clouds? Better or worse than jets?
          Last edited by Ironduke; 07 Jun 18,, 17:50.

Comment

I don't know but CFAF HERC pilots sure have rough stories about going through them when they didn't have a choice.
            Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
              Many times what's marketed as new is just churn to keep the industry going. Just look at phones, they seem to want to lock these things up as much as possible compared to earlier designs. So locked down that you may no longer be admin of your device unless you break into it and even this is getting harder with time. When the heck did this become acceptable in the computing device industry ?!?! It's for your own good, more secure bla bla

Where is the expandable storage & user replaceable battery. Battery is almost gone and only storage is left and even that is being removed. The 3.5mm jack going away. Are you freaking kidding me. You think a hundred plus year old tried and tested interface that is still very much in use is no good just because you have a market cap of a few hundred billion !!!!!
              I personally go for the $50 ~5 inch Android with an as recent as possible OS, and a removable battery.

I don't really do anything on my phone besides take calls, listen to voicemails, check emails, hire a ridesharing service when absolutely necessary.

I use Google Maps sparingly, and even then, I don't ask it for directions, I simply look at where I am on Maps and where I need to go, and memorize the map, e.g. if I need to go one block south and three blocks west. I don't even like to use Google Maps for train and bus schedules either. Every time I board a bus, I grab copies of the printed schedule/map, then look at the map and schedules to determine where I need to be to get to where I need to go.

No streaming, no video, no dating apps, no Facebook, no social media, no Groupon, and I don't take any personal photographs. I don't look at my phone to check the time either.

Sometimes I might check beeradvocate.com when I'm at the liquor store, to see if the craft beer I'm about to buy for 75% off is good or not. Sometimes I read the WAB too, or read the news, but rarely.

Since I use my phone so little, all I need is the $50 smartphone. Currently model is an LG.

Mobile phone manufacturers force obsolescence anyways. Since their strategy is to force us to throw our phones away like Kleenex when they come out with new ones, I may as well buy at a price point as close to the price of a Kleenex as possible, while still having "smart" capabilities.
              Last edited by Ironduke; 07 Jun 18,, 18:07.

Comment

No streaming, no video, no dating apps, no Facebook, no social media, no Groupon, and I don't take any personal photographs. I don't look at my phone to check the time either.
                podcasts ?

then there are useful discussions and talks on youtube

Camera is very useful for me, a key feature. Makes documenting 'life' easier. A portable colour photocopier

Since I use my phone so little, all I need is the $50 smartphone. Currently model is an LG.
                Wonder if its the Stylo 3
                Last edited by Double Edge; 08 Jun 18,, 11:15.

Comment

Camera is essential for my phone. It has replaced the fax and scanner. Take a picture of the document and email it or even SMS it to the intended.
                  Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                    podcasts ?

then there are useful discussions and talks on youtube

Camera is very useful for me, a key feature. Makes documenting 'life' easier. A portable colour photocopier
                    I've never listened to a podcast. I mostly only go on the internet when I'm at home. I really only use internet capabilities on a phone if I have an immediate need to use them, but not for much of anything else. I tried getting into Pandora for a couple days once, but I didn't like it.

I bring books with me when commuting and traveling if I want something to read and keep occupied.

I do use the phone as a scanner like the Colonel does, when necessary.

Wonder if its the Stylo 3
                    Rebel LTE. It's relatively old, but I hardly use it for anything, so I don't notice.

I'll probably get another $50-60 LG phone soon with a recent OS, hopefully I can re-use the removable battery and keep a fully charged spare with me.
                    Last edited by Ironduke; 08 Jun 18,, 11:33.

Comment

A couple other old tech preferences I have.

For starting campfires/bonfires:
                      • one can buy a Duraflame log for starting fires, purchased from the store
                      • I prefer gathering a bag of pine cones, and using those

For sharpening pruning shears and machetes:
                      • one can use a sharpening stone, purchased from the store
                      • I prefer to find a smooth, flat rock and use that

Comment

I've never listened to a podcast. I mostly only go on the internet when I'm at home. I really only use internet capabilities on a phone if I have an immediate need to use them, but not for much of anything else. I tried getting into Pandora for a couple days once, but I didn't like it.
                        You can download and play later wherever you are. It becomes like an audio player

I do use the phone as a scanner like the Colonel does, when necessary.
                        As a scanner is fine out of the house but otherwise i have an all in one that does a better job

Rebel LTE. It's relatively old, but I hardly use it for anything, so I don't notice.

I'll probably get another $50-60 LG phone soon with a recent OS, hopefully I can re-use the removable battery and keep a fully charged spare with me.
                        Given your use, lollipop ie android OS 5.0 will be perfectly fine

My backup phone is on 4.4, a version behind and apps wise there is no problem

Removable batteries are getting rare, the v20 which i have is the last of its kind at the top end.

Comment

You know how 70's tech is still in operation, how about from the 50's !!!

The U-2 Spy Plane Is Still Flying Combat Missions 60 Years After Its Debut | WSJ | Jun 07 2018

Using film cameras to map all of Afghanistan every month
                          Last edited by Double Edge; 08 Jun 18,, 21:40.

Comment

I've definitely become a smartphone fan, even if I was initially skeptical.

-GPS
                            -Email (which means access to important documents or hotel information)
                            -Notepad (better than a notepad since I can never lose it)
                            -Camera (and associated gallery so I can electronically send pictures)
                            -Full internet (so I can search for restaurants or whatever easily on the move, or pay my credit card bill if I forgot)
                            -Blood pressure recorder (since I have hypertension)
                            -Easy to watch Netflix or videos or whatever if I am sitting in bed (tablet most likely better for this, but I don't want ANOTHER product)

I'm not interested in the newest and greatest model or whatever, but I definitely like the features. Newer smartphones seem to be a lot sturdier than older smart phone models, too.

I'm running my old appliances into the ground. They seem a lot simpler to upkeep with less parts that can possibly break. The appliances I have now appear to date between the early 90s and late 90s. Still work like a charm (though maybe the fridge is a bit heavy on the electric).

Most of the audio technologies suck but Spotify premium is actually pretty good. The music library is larger and more organizable than anything you'll personally have, and mass market radio is pretty lame by comparison unless you have a broad market taste.

New office tech is way better than anything in old office tech, especially when it comes to stuff like databases and data analysis. Good Lord I can't imagine working in accounting in the 60s or 70s. Without the computers we are helpless.
                            Last edited by GVChamp; 08 Jun 18,, 17:57.
                            "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Heheh, and this is the actual phone I use when I am forced to...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post

I'm running my old appliances into the ground. They seem a lot simpler to upkeep with less parts that can possibly break. The appliances I have now appear to date between the early 90s and late 90s. Still work like a charm (though maybe the fridge is a bit heavy on the electric).
                                My every day appliances minus the 1950's Toastmaster toasters and GE steam irons. Nothing newer than 1973 I believe.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X