Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vinyl vs digital/CDs
    • landlines vs cell phones

Anyone have thoughts on these? Whether you're an audiophile or an audio engineer, if you have anecdotal experience or technical expertise.

Seems to me the sound quality on a landline is far superior to a cell phone. Especially when calling to people who are in rural areas.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
      As you said, not your problem anymore but for future reference, it should be at most 4 lights/outlets per circuit. In an ideal world, one circuit per room but no such thing as an ideal world. I usually check if there is a real ground (instead of grounding to the box). If there isn't, it's old knob and tube and I at least start thinking GFI receptacles on the most used outlets.

You can get by with surge protectors on others but make sure they're not dollar store ones. Lives ain't worth saving $20 per power bar.

Florida building codes says 2 circuit per room. Lights on one receptacles on the other. That way when you plug something in and zap the circuit your not stumbling around in the dark. Receptacles have to be on a arc fault circuit

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
        Florida building codes says 2 circuit per room. Lights on one receptacles on the other. That way when you plug something in and zap the circuit your not stumbling around in the dark. Receptacles have to be on a arc fault circuit
        Clarification request, GS. Do you mean that one light to one breaker? Seems overkill.
        Chimo

Comment

21A for an entire house? Your fridge would be already eating a good chunk of that.
          No, the heating circuit is shared between water heaters, pumps, washing machine & fridge. In addition each room has a 6A fuse shared between lighting and power outlets. For a total of around 50A and that is for the floor only. Next floor is independent and the same again. Entire house would be just over 100A. No air conditioning.

Fridge is around 200lt and consumes just under 300W, could work even off the 6A. Newer frost free fridges with an inverter consume less than half of that unless the defrost cycle is running
          Last edited by Double Edge; 07 Jun 18,, 06:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
            • vinyl vs digital/CDs

Anyone have thoughts on these? Whether you're an audiophile or an audio engineer, if you have anecdotal experience or technical expertise.

Seems to me the sound quality on a landline is far superior to a cell phone. Especially when calling to people who are in rural areas.
            Vinyl i think is more for resale value and nostalgia. I don't buy the better audio quality reason that people give. You'd need golden years to tell the difference

I find landlines a lot better than mobile but that is only because we don't have HD Voice. One of the operators here does. So to get HD voice both callers have to be on that network and use phones that are capable of decoding HD. HD voice is on 4G only and 4G unless its on some 3 digit frequency doesn't penetrate buildings very well. I'm on 2G most of the time and have a good cell signal everywhere, no HD voice though. It's acceptable
            Last edited by Double Edge; 07 Jun 18,, 06:52.

Comment

• vinyl vs digital/CDs

Landline works in major blackouts and major earthquakes. Made sure my 95-year has one-year-old mum has one. Cordless on a landline doesn't count, Digital recordings are superior to vinyl recording do to no tape hiss, you can hear the squeak of a pedal. Steve Jobs lamented the poor audio playback on digital devices.

My neighbor was a VP at a semiconductor company when he retired he was consulting for free for an mp3 player startup. Apple put out a request proposal for an mp3 type device. He became CEO than the President for a short while, always the CEO. Later sold the company to a large video chip manufacturer. He as the CEO and Chairman expressed Steve's view on digital audio and the fact Steve didn't like the company's current president explaining to the NY Times that the guts of the IPOD weren't exactly Apple's own. No cookies were served that day on the fourth floor.
              Last edited by Dazed; 07 Jun 18,, 08:14.

Comment

Love the LED bulb, the fluorescent bulb not so much. The one thing about tech is a change for change's sake. Electric vehicles are great but how are we going to charge them all? They are still made of metal, plastic and synthetic rubber? Summer in Silicon Valley, we get flex power alerts to reduce the electrical load. Paving everything over to get an outlet or beaming electrons into the enviroment seems a little counter intuitive to the enviromental savings.

The internet of things? Who hasn't had the desire to control their freezer settings on the road? All though turning on the lights and firing up the furnace in your cabin 20 minutes out does have an appeal. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LoRa#LoRaWAN When the power goes out your in the stone age even with a generator.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazed View Post
                  The internet of things? Who hasn't had the desire to control their freezer settings on the road? All though turning on the lights and firing up the furnace in your cabin 20 minutes out does have an appeal.
                  The ability to turn off somebody's lights and furnace remotely while they're in their cabin has its appeal too, to some people. The ability to turn off somebody's freezer while they're on a week's vacation, I can see how that might be appealing to many people. :-)

I don't really care for this internet of things. Too many vulnerabilities. Going further, I believe we're becoming too reliant on technology at the expense of practical skills. Most young people don't even know east from west anymore unless Google Maps tells them. Too many people don't know how to get anywhere at all unless GPS tells them how.

Practical and spatial intelligence are being outsourced to Google and other tech companies, and the type of intelligence that's left with these type of people is quite bizarre to me. People with no practical or spatial intelligence seem like aliens to me.

Personally, I'd rather log timber in the Yukon than sit in an office behind a computer screen for 40 hours a week and use technology for everything.

Electric vehicles are great but how are we going to charge them all? They are still made of metal, plastic and synthetic rubber?
                  This has got me thinking on driverless cars again. Think guys mowing down people with trucks and vans is bad? Driverless cars can be hijacked remotely and used to the same effect, but with this type of attack, the victims are both in the car and on the sidewalk/street.

The perpetrator could be anywhere in the world, and could potentially get away with it scot-free.

Love the LED bulb, the fluorescent bulb not so much.
                  Fluorescents are terrible. They served their purpose as a stopgap technology, but they are a far inferior substitute.

Whatever shortcoming LEDs have, the shortcomings are less than fluorescents, and LEDs have even greater energy savings, longer life, and no toxic mercury.
                  Last edited by Ironduke; 07 Jun 18,, 10:50.

Comment

Was riding an express bus home from downtown St. Paul the other day.

Saw a girl across from me reading a book on a Kindle, and she had a smartwatch on.

Meanwhile, I was reading Poul Anderson's Starship, which I found in the free book pile in the main building at the county dump, after I'd dumped a bunch of garbage into the compactor.

My book was free, and when I've finished it, I'll leave it in one of those free book stands a lot of people keep next to their mailboxes nowadays.

I don't have to plugin my book to charge its battery, or worry about it getting deleted, or the platform becoming obsolete, or getting a cracked screen, or anything else that can go wrong with a Kindle. And unlike with a Kindle, somebody else gets to read it when I'm done with it.

I'm wearing a Casio Men's W800H-1AV.

My watch:
                    • tells me what day of the week it is
                    • tells me the date, month, and year
                    • tells me what time it is, to the hours, minutes, and seconds
                    • with the press of a button, goes from 12h to 24h
                    • can have two time zones programmed
                    • has an alarm
                    • has an LED light button to see the time at night
                    • has been configured to be within a tenth of a second accurate to atomic clock time
                    • 10-year battery life, water-resistant to 100m
                    • cost $20 ($2 per year)

I don't know about everybody else, but I'll take Poul Anderson's Starship (free from the county dump) and a $20 Casio digital watch over a Kindle and smartwatch.
                    Last edited by Ironduke; 07 Jun 18,, 10:09.

Comment

T

This has got me thinking on driverless cars again. Think guys mowing down people with trucks and vans is bad? Driverless cars can be hijacked remotely and used to the same effect, but with this type of attack, the victims are both in the car and on the sidewalk/street.

The perpetrator could be anywhere in the world, and could potentially get away with it scot-free.

Not malfeasance what happens if you have a faulty sensor and it feeds incorrect data? Dassault was a pioneer in fly by wire yet they nearly lost a plane. One pilot had experience in Dassult Mirages it saved them. https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...aining-changes.
                      or the F-22 crossing the international date line for the first time.

Technology is awesome but if you don't understand it, it will kill you.

I wish I knew who said it, but it went like this : People are afraid of technology taking over. It has and it failed.
                      Last edited by Dazed; 07 Jun 18,, 11:20.

Comment

Clarification request, GS. Do you mean that one light to one breaker? Seems overkill.
                        No, 4-6 lights depending on the amp load.
                        . Each room has 2 breakers. One for lights. One for receptacles

Comment

Personally, I'd rather log timber in the Yukon than sit in an office behind a computer screen for 40 hours a week and use technology for everything.
                          Gertting eaten alive by deer flies, black flies, and musquittos 10 out of 12 working hours a day gets old real fast.
                          Chimo

Comment

Gertting eaten alive by deer flies, black flies, and musquittos 10 out of 12 working hours a day gets old real fast.
                            I've dealt with black flies and mosquitoes, for 10-12 hours a day, for days on end. They didn't bother me that much.

Office politics, seminars about emotions and feelings, and BS recognition ceremonies where everybody has to clap and pretend to be happy/impressed... all of these are worse than deer flies, black flies, and mosquitoes.

Comment

I've dealt with black flies and mosquitoes, for 10-12 hours a day, for days on end. They didn't bother me that much.
                              It's the first week that they're out that they're the most dangerous. You're dealing with dangerous equipment and a hazzardise job. Tree falling in the wrong direction or a distraction during a cut are big no-goes. After a week or so, you learn to ignore them but still itchy as hell until you shower.
                              Chimo

Comment

It's the first week that they're out that they're the most dangerous. You're dealing with dangerous equipment and a hazzardise job. Tree falling in the wrong direction or a distraction during a cut are big no-goes. After a week or so, you learn to ignore them but still itchy as hell until you shower.
                                I'd rather deal with potentially life-threatening physical hazards than office politics, seminars about feelings and emotions, and BS recognition ceremonies.

I've spent a part of my adult life in rural areas on the southern Canadian Shield, where I was born. I'm fully aware of and have experienced many of the things you speak of firsthand.

Comment

Working...
                                X