Most valuable companies of all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most valuable companies of all time

Found this fascinating. In today's dollars DEIC was as large as the GDP of Germany and Japan put together

Click image for larger version

Name:	most valuable.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	899.8 KB
ID:	1485744
    Click image for larger version

Name:	most valuable_2.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	381.0 KB
ID:	1485743

http://www.visualcapitalist.com/most...nies-all-time/
    https://www.fool.com/investing/gener...companies.aspx
    Last edited by Double Edge; 02 Jun 18,, 02:13.

Yeah it is amazing how much wealth was concentrated into a single firm. I wonder on the ranking of the British East India Company.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

We should expect some big things from some of the modern tech companies as they diversify into industries that produce hardware and goods and they utilise exponential technologies like quantum computing, A.I., et alia. It's said that Google are best placed of all of them.

Space is expected to become a multi trillion dollar industry inside 30 years also.

Comment

What happens when we decentralise and democratize alot of energy and manufacturing and the productions of goods drops close to the price of materials. An abundant future where many traditional industries are disrupted and many goods are demonetised...

Potentially virtually all wealth focused into health and services iam guessing....

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
          Yeah it is amazing how much wealth was concentrated into a single firm. I wonder on the ranking of the British East India Company.
          A notable omission that would have been at its height a couple of centuries later. But it gives an idea of how these companies could take over entire countries if in today's money they are worth as much

Comment

I would like to know where Vicky Sake-Coburg’s family business might rank.
            Trust me?
            I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by tantalus View Post
              What happens when we decentralise and democratize alot of energy and manufacturing and the productions of goods drops close to the price of materials. An abundant future where many traditional industries are disrupted and many goods are demonetised...

Potentially virtually all wealth focused into health and services iam guessing....
              Why would manufacturing be decentralized and democratized? Why would goods be demonetized?

If anything I think advances in robotics and AI are going to cause greater centralization and specialization of manufacturing. As machines increasingly replace human labor they will likely have a lower operating cost per output over a long timespan than human workers, but the kicker is the investment up front to establish a factory is going to be massive and take years to break even.

A big corporation has pockets deep enough to afford to make that huge investment up front and operate at a loss for a decade if that's what it takes to establish market share and start undercutting the competition. A family or small business needs to see a pretty immediate return on even a moderate investment to stay afloat.

The big hangup with 3D printing and the like bringing manufacturing into the home is how restrictive they are on materials. Sure you can print any shape you want, but how much useful stuff can you really make out of resin?
              Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 05 Jun 18,, 15:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                A notable omission that would have been at its height a couple of centuries later. But it gives an idea of how these companies could take over entire countries if in today's money they are worth as much
                Yeah the mercantile system was a pretty powerful economic engines.
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                  Wasn't there a debate on how much loot the BEIC took out from India, Shashi Tharoor was the Indian representative, somewhere in UK?
                  Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
                    Why would manufacturing be decentralized and democratized? Why would goods be demonetized?

If anything I think advances in robotics and AI are going to cause greater centralization and specialization of manufacturing. As machines increasingly replace human labor they will likely have a lower operating cost per output over a long timespan than human workers, but the kicker is the investment up front to establish a factory is going to be massive and take years to break even.

A big corporation has pockets deep enough to afford to make that huge investment up front and operate at a loss for a decade if that's what it takes to establish market share and start undercutting the competition. A family or small business needs to see a pretty immediate return on even a moderate investment to stay afloat.

The big hangup with 3D printing and the like bringing manufacturing into the home is how restrictive they are on materials. Sure you can print any shape you want, but how much useful stuff can you really make out of resin?
                    I should have been clearer in that I meant only electricity and the grid that looks like it will become decentralised and severely disrupted by solar and battery but Its going to take a long time to play out. 3d printing is only in its infancy but additive manufacturing is on its way and material options will increase.

We shouldn't assume massive start up costs apart from the early years where things are always expensive in the learning curve.

Still I agree with you it will favour larger corportations initially, and only a small subset of manufacturing will become decentralised. The process as a whole will be as centralised as the current industry although not all in Asia.

In regard demontetized, I was also unclear as I didnt mean it literally in its entirety but that many goods will become extremely cheap. This in effect has a real world impact to the consumer that is close to demonetisation in practcial terms and also has the potential to shift wealth in the economy. Just think what the smartphone has achieved for the lower classes, its a 200 dollar devicewith millions of dollars of hardware capabilities circa the 1980s.
                    Last edited by tantalus; 06 Jun 18,, 22:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                      Wasn't there a debate on how much loot the BEIC took out from India, Shashi Tharoor was the Indian representative, somewhere in UK?
                      Heard of it, didn't follow the discussion

Comment

Working...
                      X