Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interesting in NY Times on US State Dept policy making

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/05/0...imbroglio.html

as I suspected - a complete mess instead of strategic planning/ thinking. You can't change Russia, you can't have victory no allow it brake apart .... you can't even gain from its problems.

But you can and will suffer from Russia as an adversary.... so why to go this way?

Comment

Will make for an interesting read.

But how the heck are the Americans to deal with a state that is determined to counter them in varied ways. Is this initial premise false ?

Putins justification is that NATO expansion would freeze once the cold war ended but it turns out former satellites were very willing to get out of Russia's shadow once and for all.

Wikileaks was the first shot in this so called information warfare. Leaking those cables to weaken US relations with partners and everybody else really.

Then came Snowden

Then Ukraine.

Then the elections meddling

What else can US policy towards Russia be but a mess.

Every president tries to do a reset but Putin is determined to make Russia great again. This inevitably means scoring points for any and whatever petty reason possible.

So Russia is this ever growing incalcitrant PITA for Americans

This widening gulf between Russia & the US makes for indeed forces some very precarious tightrope walking for India or any country that has good relations with both these powers.

I HATE the way things are between these two countries. So when i hear a Trump wants to mend things i'm immediately happy but feel that is one bridge too far at this point

They're trying to build up the defunct 2nd fleet because they think Russia is a new threat.

FARK!
      Last edited by Double Edge; 18 May 18,, 16:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
        Will make for an interesting read.
        Done reading.

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
        Russia is this ever growing incalcitrant PITA for Americans
        Is turning out slowly to be a PITA for India too w.r.t. Pakistan & China.
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

This is a fascinating para

As in other foreign-policy sectors, the Russia hands divide less along party lines than along foreign-policy philosophies: They are either “realists” or “internationalists.”

Realists tend to be cautious about American overseas commitments and deferential toward state sovereignty;

internationalists tend to be more inclined to universalist ideals like democracy and human rights, even where these are forced to cross borders.

But the two supposed categories are blurred by a thousand factors, not least of which being that realists don’t like being called realists, because it suggests that they have no values, and internationalists don’t like to be called internationalists, as opposed to realists, because it suggests that they have no common sense. LOL

In the end, a vast internationalist middle, consisting of neoconservative Republicans and interventionist Democrats, predominates, with tiny slices of hard realists on the right and soft realists, or “neorealists,” on the left.

And there are many shades of difference among all these people.
          Last edited by Double Edge; 26 May 18,, 03:33.

Comment

Working...
          X