Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electoral Earthquake in Malaysia

Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post
    Contrast the opportunity for real progress and reform these events have potential to bring with the latest enthronement of Putin followed by the re-appointment of Medvedev as Prime Minister. Moscow has gone into a form of 'Neo-Brezhnevian Putinism'. There is no opportunity for the deep reforms their society, economy, Government and people need. It's like a political ice age compared to the possibility for real and meaningful change events in Malaysia and Armenia offer.
    Russian elites don't think there is a problem to solve. They're satisfied with their position. Russians are a strange people though. Twice a century they rise up, trash the government and ruin their country. If things keep on the way they are there could be another reckoning, possibly more destructive than earlier
    Last edited by Double Edge; 11 May 18, at 15:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    A few westerners would have you believe the same applies to Mohammedans

Hah!
    Some Muslims would agree. The extremes often meet.

Depends on the discipline i suppose, saw plenty in the UK for engineering. Why go so far when Australia is closer

Clearly one got the impression they outnumbered their fellow ethnic Chinese & Indians by a large margin
    My Uni had what might have been the largest & best engineering schools in Australia. Living on campus meant that you got to mix across disciplines. Some of the Malaysian Chinese students had done High School in Australia (or part of it) and already had their PR. I suspect others had an eye to staying in Australia & getting it after Uni.

Australia is a much more attractive migration destination than the UK for people from Malaysia & Singapore. That doesn't explain everyone, but it certainly explains some. Malays tended not to be as motivated to move.

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Three BN aligned parties in Sabah have left the coalition. This may mean that control of that state government shifts to an opposition party that is friendly to the new Pakatan Harapan (PH) Federal government but not formally a member of the coalition. The details are not yet clear.

The rats are jumping ship.

The new PM has announced inquiries into a number of government authorities & departments. Even if there aren't a bunch of arrests & convictions, the impact of the disclosures that will be a body blow to BN & especially UMNO.

Name:  anwar ibrahim.PNG
Views: 136
Size:  930.3 KB

Anwar ibrahim has been released, Najib's house & apartment have been raided by the police & he and his wife stopped at the airport. Sometimes a week is a VERY long time in politics. Mahathir talking about staying on for 1-2 years. Anwar not expressing any rush to join the government, though I suspect he'll be there within 6 months. Tectonic shifts.

For the better. We hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    For the better. We hope.
    I won't say that it couldn't get worse, because we know that things can always get worse. However, given where things were at, 'better' is dramatically more likely. Even if their only significant achievement is to undo the gerrymander & electoral skewing toward UMNO and remove Najib & his cronies from office that would be a big leap toward 'better'. My bet is that they achieve more than that.

I don't think the PH coalition will last more than a couple of elections, but by that time some of the fundamentals of Malaysian politics will have shifted.

Sounds like Najib & the good lady wife Rosmah have been putting away a bit for a rainy day:

Included in the haul were 284 boxes of handbags and 72 pieces of luggage containing cash, jewelry, watches and other valuables, said Amar Singh, chief of the police commercial crimes unit.
    Rosmah may be to handbags what Imelda was to shoes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/17/w...-article-click

Regular
    This question isn't directly relevant to the elections, but what was your impression of the average Chinese Malaysian's view re China's claims in the South China Sea?

Quote Originally Posted by Mithridates View Post
    This question isn't directly relevant to the elections, but what was your impression of the average Chinese Malaysian's view re China's claims in the South China Sea?
    Haven't had those conversations. I do know that despite their terrible treatment over generations what Malaysian Chinese most want is for their country to show them the love they have for it. Some stay there despite that not happening, others leave with broken hearts to live elsewhere and offer their kids a better life.

I think that if it came to a conflict between Malaysia & China they would overwhelmingly support Malaysia. China makes significant efforts to try to get expat communities to stay loyal to the 'motherland' but has had patchy results at best. Once you get to the 2nd generation born somewhere the pull of that place is much, much more powerful.

So, turns out there were a bunch of suitcases stuffed with $US 28 million in 26 different currencies in an apartment connected to Najib. I'm starting to get just the slightest hint that this guy might be corrupt.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella View Post
    So, turns out there were a bunch of suitcases stuffed with $US 28 million in 26 different currencies in an apartment connected to Najib. I'm starting to get just the slightest hint that this guy might be corrupt.
    Politics is a contact sport outside most of the West, so unless journalists and/or other impartial observers were invited along as the cops entered, many of the outgoing official's supporters will be unimpressed by this revelation.

Thread Information