USS Wisconsin ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Boilermaker9 View Post
    I found this following image on the internet of the Iowa traversing the Panama Canal. Do not know who is credited but I thought it would compliment
    bilgepump's superb images. the Iowa's her breadth is 108' I believe the Panama Canal is 110' when the image was taken. Image is obviously before the widening of the canal. Kida shows just how monstrous these ships are!

[ATTACH]47062[/ATTACH]
    Dang! I've become fixated on the uneven hull numbers....

Comment

• Hull warp .....

Originally posted by Cruiser View Post
      Dang! I've become fixated on the uneven hull numbers....
      This is designed by BuShips to over come the "P-factor".... somewhat akin to "Muffler bearings".

In the olden days of WWII when small numbers ruled the day, stitch welding was used as a reference for the template.
      I looked really close on the Whisky during my inspection tour and did not find any welding as I did on the USS The Sullivans.

Comment

• Bilgepump wrote:
        In the olden days of WWII when small numbers ruled the day, stitch welding was used as a reference for the template.
        I looked really close on the Whisky during my inspection tour and did not find any welding as I did on the USS The Sullivans.

I think I have a photo (in our 68-69 cruise book) of the hull numbers on NEW JERSEY being painted anew for her impending commission in May 1968. They show the corner welds where the numbers & silhouettes should be placed. Whether or not these are still there I can't answer. A lot of the old ways of doing things were discarded, evaded, deemed unnecessary in her 1981/82 refit. Such a small task to have put those marks on the hull seems a small price for doing the job CORRECTLY. Of course, stupider minds prevailed in the '80s in many decisions that were made.

Comment

• Surface weld ..

Originally posted by bbvet View Post
          Bilgepump wrote:

I think I have a photo (in our 68-69 cruise book) of the hull numbers on NEW JERSEY being painted anew for her impending commission in May 1968. They show the corner welds where the numbers & silhouettes should be placed. Whether or not these are still there I can't answer. A lot of the old ways of doing things were discarded, evaded, deemed unnecessary in her 1981/82 refit. Such a small task to have put those marks on the hull seems a small price for doing the job CORRECTLY. Of course, stupider minds prevailed in the '80s in many decisions that were made.
          Here's an example.....
          Attached Files

Comment

• Yep!!! Those would be the welds! So, apparently they are still in place. (why would anyone want to remove them?).

Comment

• Veteran's Day ...

Kansas City, MO is home of the World War 1 memorial.
              This week several activities have taken place marking the 100th anniversary of the end of the "Great War".
              This imagine is part of a slide show projected on the North side of the building and tower overlooking Union Station.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Blige, thanks for reminding me to add that to my journey list! My grandfather lied about his age and went into the Army at 15! He was with Pershing in Mexico chasing Pancho around and by the time the US involvement started he was already a sergeant at 18! He received the DSC and Croix D'Guerre for his actions in the battle of Molleville Farm (Verdun) on October 23rd, 1918. A funny "short" story: as kids we were often at his house in Boston and a few times while there the movie Sergeant York would be on TV. Each time, we would experience a lot of complainin and cussin about the movie and about the "Hollywood embellishments"! I found out later in life, after his passing that he knew York and the real facts!
                Now before Albany and others raise some points, Yes, I went Navy! After boot I went to see him in my dress blues! His comment the minute I walked in the door was "What are you doing in the clown outfit?" Then he laughed and said "I am proud to see you in any uniform!" My brother went Army! That didn't make him smarter! I called it "green nosing" the patriarch!
                Last edited by SlaterDoc; 14 Nov 18,, 01:16.

Comment

• Poppies ....

SlaterDoc you will not be disappointed as the WW I museum is currently rated in the "top 10" in the Nation.
                  600,000 people visited last year, and that number is expected to grow with the 100th Anniversary in 2018.
                  80% of the artifacts are not on display due to space! I'd really like to get into the storage areas and take a peek.
                  I know these facts as they were recited during a luncheon reception held to induct Captain H. S. Truman into the International Hall of Fame, Fort Leavenworth, this morning. HST's grandson accepted the recognition for the Daniel's family, so it was a double bonus day for me personally.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlaterDoc View Post
                    Blige, thanks for reminding me to add that to my journey list! My grandfather lied about his age and went into the Army at 15! He was with Pershing in Mexico chasing Pancho around and by the time the US involvement started he was already a sergeant at 18! He received the DSC and Croix D'Guerre for his actions in the battle of Molleville Farm (Verdun) on October 23rd, 1918. A funny "short" story: as kids we were often at his house in Boston and a few times while there the movie Sergeant York would be on TV. Each time, we would experience a lot of complainin and cussin about the movie and about the "Hollywood embellishments"! I found out later in life, after his passing that he knew York and the real facts!
                    Now before Albany and others raise some points, Yes, I went Navy! After boot I went to see him in my dress blues! His comment the minute I walked in the door was "What are you doing in the clown outfit?" Then he laughed and said "I am proud to see you in any uniform!" My brother went Army! That didn't make him smarter! I called it "green nosing" the patriarch!
                    I am named for my uncle who was a career Naval Aviator. My father was a sailor in World War 2. I became a Soldier primarily because I suck at math. And I know regardless of where you serve in the Navy you have to know math. Plus it's hard to dig a foxhole on the deck of a destroyer when getting shot at!

Yeah my uncle gave me grief but I could tell he was damn proud of me. Had him come up and visit me when I was a company commander and we were going through Bradley Gunnery. He got a kick out of wearing a set of BDUs with Navy insignia and wings on it!.

And I second the comments about the World War 1 museum in Kansas City. It is a crown jewel.
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• Home for Thanksgiving ....

Landed home this afternoon and quietly unwinding while the washing machine competes the dish washer for with the hot water supply.

So as the sign says... "Lost?" You are here!
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Visited the Wisconsin last Sat in a pouring rain took the engine room tour with my grandson age 14. it was a great tour, very well done and the graphic displays on the boiler room and in the engine room were very well done. The tour guide whom I did not get his name as they were very busy was very well informed on the operation of the boilers and engine. The presentation was, understandably designed for general public consumption. Also very well done. Took some images, although not great due to the # of visitors and the confined spaces. Rain prohibited me from taking outside images. Going back up in Dec perhaps I can get a tour by myself? Any way for an additional 20 bucks the engine room is a great investment! Those volunteers did a remarkable job and the ship was as clean as a whistle! The attached photo was taken Sat shows the upper decks but you can se the contrast in the coating.

One issue though the exterior grey in areas is turning a light pink or perhaps it is purple and other areas are haze grey. When I was working we had the same issue the Amo ships I was affiliated with early 2000's I think. A while back MSC went back to the Paint Manufacturer and I believe the change in color had to do with the pigment reacting to the uv rays of the sun. The pigment composition was required by the navy as part of the EPA Requirements, so we had to live with it. My Questions are can any one give amplifying info on that, and are the remaining battle ships suffering the same? Personally I think the Wisconsin was delt a bad hand. It is going to cost some money to cover the contrasting color and feather in with Haze Grey! The attached image was takin by the photo people as you enter the gangway which I usually do not buy but because of my Grandson I did. They are a bit pricy. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7911 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	565.8 KB
ID:	1477686
                        Last edited by Boilermaker9; 28 Nov 18,, 18:02.

Comment

• A few more images. I also need to correct myself the main and aux steam valves as well as firemain and feed water stop valves on this ship are lp air assist, not hydraulic which makes sense from a damage control point of view. I did not see a control board for these valves in the machinery spaces however I did see the board on Broadway which goes the entire length of the "Machinery Casing" which extends from aft of mount #2 to beginning of mount #3. I am still having difficulty uploading Photos so I shall wait and try again!
                          Last edited by Boilermaker9; 30 Nov 18,, 17:39.

Comment

• Tour photos...

BoilerMaker I'm glad to hear that you had a successful tour of the "Whisky".
                            Looking forward to your photos, too. It will inspire me to get off my tail and resume posting!

The tour is still moving aft along the Port side these photos provide a view of the "cleats and padeyes".
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Working our way aft ....

As we continue aft the exterior of the USS Whisky has been stripped of most artifacts found on active Naval ships, but if you search one can guess what was occupying the space before being mothballed.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Bilge Pump thos circles in the deck are for screwed in pad eyes. un screw them and turn them upside down and screw them back in. we used them a lot on the ships I worked with during my civilian career. Hard to louse up as the threes are very thickened. the plug is self is several inches deep and weighs 10 12 lb. however deck crew did manage to gall them up quite often. No idea why I cannot post images so I will continue to wait.

Comment

Working...
                                X