Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USS Wisconsin ....

Good evening WAB followers.

Just received confirmation that I'll be in Norfolk the middle of August and will have 24-hours of "me-time".
    As many have followed the Fletcher-DD thread for some time and proved excellent resources for contacts,
    (i.e. The Kidd, The Sullivans and the Cassin Young , aka the Fletcher Trifecta ) I've got a idea to work on the " Iowa Quads".

Should you know of a contact for the Whiskey in Norfolk who'd wouldn't mind the August heat for a private tour I would appreciate a reference. All contacts will be kept confidential, please PM me.

Thank you for your continued support,
    "blidgepump"
    Attached Files
    Last edited by blidgepump; 09 May 18,, 04:58.

All ready .... PING

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
    Good evening WAB followers.

Just received confirmation that I'll be in Norfolk the middle of August and will have 24-hours of "me-time".
    As many have followed the Fletcher-DD thread for some time and proved excellent resources for contacts,
    (i.e. The Kidd, The Sullivans and the Cassin Young , aka the Fletcher Trifecta ) I've got a idea to work on the " Iowa Quads".

Should you know of a contact for the Whiskey in Norfolk who'd wouldn't mind the August heat for a private tour I would appreciate a reference. All contacts will be kept confidential, please PM me.

Thank you for your continued support,
    "blidgepump"
    Confirmation that the trip is still a "GO" for August at the Waterfront in Norfolk.
    I continue to seek a "contact" should a referral be available?

Comment

Bag is packed ....

Confirmation that the trip is still a "GO" for August at the Waterfront in Norfolk.
      I continue to seek a "contact" should a referral be available?
      Onward to Norfolk is the cry !!!!

Two days are carved out to tour BB-64. I hope to add jpegs & share upon returning home.

Comment

Wheels up...

Two days are carved out to tour BB-64. I hope to add jpegs & share upon returning home.
        Cameras & toothbrush packed. "Head East" is on the morning agenda.

Comment

I feel like a kid, and Christmas is approaching, lol! Looking forward to any and all pics you're able to share with us, Blidgepump.

Have a safe trip!

Comment

Special requests ????

Should there be any "special requests" for specific photographs of the USS WISCONSIN... place your order(s) now! :)

Comment

BP,

The WISCONSIN is unique in her vertical at sea replenishment unit which is located just forward of Turret 3 on the stbd. side (you can't miss it!) - none of the other IOWAs have this equipment - some shots of it might be nice. Also, both of the after 40mm tubs were converted and some good photos of that equipment would be helpful (modelers, etc.). I don't think the 4 ships had the same arrangements. Some interior shots of the 05 level nav. bridge (and, if you are allowed up there) the 08 Nav. station. 04 Level bridge areas also are under-photographed so those might be nice. Photos of her Mk. 37 GFCS directors as they differ from NJ/MO. OK, have fun!!!

Comment

Should there be any "special requests" for specific photographs of the USS WISCONSIN... place your order(s) now! :)
                As a former nuclear-qualified IC man who also worked in my ships IC shop, I'd like to see her IC (Interior Communications) shop. Ours was also home of the Main Gyrocompass, and the ships main system of on-board comms, which was the J-Dial Telephone System.
                I also worked, and stood watches in the engine room and elsewhere as an Electrical Operator, so any pics of engineering spaces' electrical gear would be cool. And the Emergency Diesel Generator and its associated switchgear.

This is really awesome of you Blidgepump, to offer this. Thanks!

Comment

On the dock next to the Wisky. Warm Virginia day. Cell phones are not much fun to post.

Comment

Day 1

On the dock next to the Wisky. Warm Virginia day. Cell phones are not much fun to post.
                    We'll the 1st day of the two Day inspection of the USS Wisconsin met with with a few bumps.

A shout out to Nicole Nussbaum. She really brought a large smile into the day. I shared with the PR director.. Separate from Nicole.... how the web address failed to produce any response using contact email. So I'd advise avoiding email contact with the museum unless you have a lot of rime to spend. Up front impression.... The Whisky is in solid condition. Much better than the New Jersey. Nothing is open above Level 5. Tomorrow I should have a full day + the engine room tour. It is doubtful that I'll be able to get access for detailed photos of the engine room as I'd hoped.
                    Last edited by blidgepump; 17 Aug 18,, 22:39.

Comment

Day 2 ....

After successfully bumping off a few bulkheads on Friday, I was able to be on the doorstep of the "Whisky" Saturday morning again capturing photos for the WAB.

Going from a Fletcher -DD to an Iowa -BB was not as much a challenge mentally as I'd thought.
                      Mr. "L" I hope you're on the WWW. tonight in heaven as I write this..."Your big "Yellow Book " was a big help.

First up... success in capturing imagines requested for two of the thread followers.
                      When I arrive home expect some jpegs of the Unrep structure and the aft 40mm Gun tubs.

During the two-day visit 500+ imagines were collected with 10-hours logged aboard BB-64.
                      In addition two "premium" tours where tallied of which I'll write more at a later date.

"No joy" for those hoping for pictures of the emergency gen set, distiller, and IC sections.

This afternoon, introductions were made to the "CAG" for the Bush (CV) and the XO for Naval Special Warfare Group II.
                      Three CV's are in port. The Truman, the Bush and the Lincoln. Before I go wheels up I'm hoping to get clearance to go on board one of the CV's and perhaps (?) score some F-18 "Sim" time.

Again... thank you very much to those who've shared contact information and gone to bat for me to obtain clearances.
                      Last edited by blidgepump; 20 Aug 18,, 03:08.

Comment

That's awesome, glad you were able to make the most of this opportunity! Looking forward to any photos that you post.

Comment

Landed and unloading....

Arrived back home tonight and started unpacking.
                          Almost 1200 jpegs were captured during the inspection of the USS Wisconsin & the Norfolk Naval Yard.

Over the coming weeks I'll attached the imagines for your viewing enjoyment with the detail you probably will not find on Wiki or Goggle !
                          Attached Files

Comment

Arrived back home tonight and started unpacking.
                            Almost 1200 jpegs were captured during the inspection of the USS Wisconsin & the Norfolk Naval Yard.

Over the coming weeks I'll attached the imagines for your viewing enjoyment with the detail you probably will not find on Wiki or Goggle !
                            I had no idea! But I do know a little about the Iowa class ships. They were very wet ships due to the low freeboard there are many images of them with waves breaking over the bow and main deck, in what appears to be a calm sea, which was a compromise as they were looking for speed and they certainly found. They were state of the art at the time. 887’overall 108.3 breadth. 55k tons in war time compliment, 212shp guaranteed 35kts! 2.2million gal of fuel. If I am not mistaken thes ships would fit through Panama Canal wit inches to spare, another requirement. Suffice it to say these were big powerful, fast ships, estetically pleasing ships.
                            Your first image of her is a great image! Tied up at the navy yard phil. The Wisconsin was outboard of the Iowa. During my tour at inact ships in the 1970’s, I would give Main deck only tours of the Iowa, as she was in better shape than Wisconsin, to organizations, such as Boy Scouts, all tours were given with special permission obtained by the organization wanting the tour, from inact ships Washington who in turn got permission from NavSea. Like #4 engineroom the favorate place on these ships was the Bullnose gun tub in the bow. Take a few at a time and go to the gun tub back turned to the guns and then turn around! The view of the guns and tall cloning tower was just awesome in today’s vernacular! A sight once seen never forgotten, however today due to the addition of the antenna bridge just aft of the tub one cannot see or appreciate the magnitude of these ships, from the gun tub perspective. That antenna although necessary for the 80’s conversion is a source of disappointment sort of ruins the asctetis of the ships, along with the helo pad and the fueling station aft. However they took on a new life in the 80s and this is a good thing! In fact I believe at the time Washington was toying with the idea of removing the after gun mount and barbet and reconfiguring that portion of the ship to support Marines! However it was a non starter as in the design of the ship the hull was formed around the machinery plant and the 16” guns. If one of the gun mounts and barbet were was removed there would need to install equal ballast in its place or the ship would not float....totally impractical. So it was a non starter. This was just one of the many hair brain ideas we heard about back then. As it was the additions to the ships were minimal and necessary, money was tight.
                            Working in security at NISMF Phila during the time the Iowa’s were there. I do have a few stories. All true by the way, one such story is: Part of my job was to make sure these ships stayed locked up. Not an easy task since the sailors on the ships in the yard loved to explore and reapropreiate items and material. The Iowa’s were a prime target due to the proximity to the ships in the yard. Especially the Iowa herself as she was pier side. In fact the only thing that separated the Iowa’s from the shipyard were the original building ways, from PNSY ship building days. Well during my inspections of the Iowa in particular, I would find all kids of items out of place such as steam valves, lengths of pipe or a telephone or two in odd places. For the longest time I watched larger heavier items inch along ladders and passageways. What would happen is, these guys would have a limited amount of time to get aboard, explore, retrieve and then then leave back to their ship, so many of the items had to be left behind most of the time. Once up there it had to be small enough and light enough to get through the hatch. Well being young and impetuous they did not plan well, as they had no idea what why wanted so some of the material remained on board! They would try to hide it though! Got to give them that! Re-appropriation is not necessarily an easy thing to do! Needs to be planned out “grab and go” usually, did not work unless one could put the grab their pocket! We had a hard time finding out where these sailors gained access! Well, after a period of time we finely figured it out. They got careless and left a trail up to the 16” gun director! We went up in it and found the top hatch was not locked! Not sure how they got aboard but once aboard had to climb up the superstructure outside to the top of the 16” director! Open the hatch and access the interior. All I can say is they were very lucky sailors! A dead ship is a very dangerous place especially at night and if they did not know how to turn the lights on!
                            Well we wired that hatch hatch shut with CRES wire, problem was solved! Then we embarked on a hatch securing escapade that took several weeks of dedicated hatch securing! There is a substantial number of weather deck hatches on a Iowa!

BilgePump was the captains sea cabin open? If so did you see his shower? There is a weather deck door in the shower that opens up to a cat walk that goes around the watch cap of the fwd funnel! I believe it was for access so the Watertenders (BT of the 1940sJ to the funnel to put the stack cover on, but not sure. Any way On the Iowa I would go up there ..before I wired it shut ....go out on the cat walk lean over and stare at the city of Philadelphia not that one could see much past the park as it was hilly but it was just cool one could go out there on top of the stack and look around!
                            Incase you were wondering these ships were decomd first after ww2 and second time after the Korean War. An at that time the navy kept the store rooms about half full of supplies, in accordance with the Supply directives of the time. There were all kinds of material from the 50’s era, and a load of black oil onboard, all of the above so they could light off and get underway with minimum provisioning. The fuel was removed in the 70’ during one of the oil crises creating quite a mess on all the reserve ships. Sorry for being long winded!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	69568622-99EA-4891-B9D8-89DE967C3F4F.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	982.1 KB
ID:	1477180This is what I would give out during the main deck tours of the Iowa in the 70’sClick image for larger version

Name:	8D9C8576-43B9-414A-AF1C-6B5BD2015DA6.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	660.4 KB
ID:	1477179
                              Last edited by Boilermaker9; 26 Aug 18,, 19:11.

Comment

Working...
                              X