No announcement yet.

USS Wisconsin ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gents, has it occurred to anyone else that we haven't even gotten past the anchors and the discussion is already lively and interesting, lol?

I am in awe of these photos! Composition, resolution,... well, just everything about them!

Comment

Still that same old feel'in....

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

Any better relationship today?
      Your recital is exactly what it felt like when I was making introductions August 17.
      The city staff seem to know quite a bit about the Nauticus operation inside the building... other than that I could buy a ticket and go outside to look at "it" ?!?!?!?
      I was prepared to buy an "E" ticket for a two day visit and make a cash donation for some attention.
      As previously stated Nicole Nussbaum was stellar in connecting the dots.
      She had a clear understanding of what I was seeking.
      So .... when handed a bucket full of lemons..... start squeezing !

Comment

So .... when handed a bucket full of lemons..... start squeezing !

I am stealing this line!
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
          Albany I agree with you on both counts. I like the WWII config best!

Attempts to contact the Whisky folks stared last January via email.
          A former BB-64 docent made contact and was most gracious with his time, but he'd remarried and is now a docent on BB-63.
          This was a hard ship to get connections versus the Fletchers experience. A great learning curve when I manage to work in the Iowa & Missouri.
          You let me know when you go to the Iowa and I will meet you there. Wanted to go back when Dick was there but didn't get the chance. Was not interested in taking a typical tour seeing as how I was with Dick in 2009 and saw most everything except shaft alley, water distillation and inside a turret.

Comment

Appreciation..

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
            You let me know when you go to the Iowa and I will meet you there. Wanted to go back when Dick was there but didn't get the chance. Was not interested in taking a typical tour seeing as how I was with Dick in 2009 and saw most everything except shaft alley, water distillation and inside a turret.
            Thank you TBM!

When I can work out an IOWA excursion I will be in touch!
            There is strength in numbers.

Comment

Bow up... down by the stern...

The Wisconsin is empty and rides high in her berth.
              Last year her hull was brushed blasted below the water line.
              A special underwater paint was applied reportedly costing $400/gallon.
              This picture illustrates where the newer lighter gray paint overlaps the older darker paint.

I assuming the Plimsoll line is 36 1/2 ft. ?

The bow is drawing 24-ft while the current berth at the Southern or Bow end was dredged to 28-ft, reportedly.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by blidgepump; 29 Aug 18,, 04:53.

Comment

BP,

Great photos! Looks like there will be a running commentary on this visit for a while as you progress thru your photo tour.

TBM,

I had hoped also to see Dick out on the Left Coast for a tour of IOWA. Perhaps sometime in the coming years when I've retired. I'd also like to see HORNET & MIDWAY, but the Admiral may have something to say about any future traveling itinerary!

Back to the anchor discussion - When I was serving in STODDARD (DD-566) we were in Pearl for the annual summer Middie Cruise in 1968 and moored outboard of INGERSOLL (DD-652). Casting off lines to leave for SDiego, we were backing away from the pier and the wind caught us and blew us up against INGERSOLL while still underway aftward. We caught her port anchor and ripped it off in the ensuing collision. Navy divers later recovered the anchor. INGERSOLL returned to SD without one! What a trip!!! Our XO (a rather short, chubby Mustanger who had the disposition of an asshole) was cussing and running all over the place. Almost a scene from a Mel Brooke movie!!!

Comment

Air deflector ....

Another thing I observed while forward on the deck of the Wisconsin.
                  The wind deflector on the bridge of a Fletcher works the same on the bow of an Iowa class BB.
                  During the Friday portion of the inspection the wind was blowing from bow to stern.
                  When you stand at the bow there was very little breeze felt.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Another thing I observed while forward on the deck of the Wisconsin.
                    The wind deflector on the bridge of a Fletcher works the same on the bow of an Iowa class BB.
                    During the Friday portion of the inspection the wind was blowing from bow to stern.
                    When you stand at the bow there was very little breeze felt.
                    Been around thos battleships on and off at various times during my life. I was up in the bullnose gun tub each time as I loved the view before the conversion. However I must honestly say I never one time put 2+2 togeather. A wind break on the gun tub bulwark! Thank you for shareing and you take some great images!
                    From the images I have seen on the internet the 20mm gun tub was added sometime after construction. Thinking about the purpose, location and trying to fire the machine guns it makes perfect sense to have a wind deflector. For instance the ship at traveling at say into a head wind of say 20 mph that is a total of about 55mph coming into the bow. Sure would be difficult to fire those machine guns without the wind break! Learn something new every day!

Comment

And now, here is a photo of the bow of BB-64 in 1951 (orig. bow before collision in 1956):
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	BB-64 at Norfolk NSYD 1951 (orig bow).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	1477224

Comment

Comparing leading edges ....

Originally posted by bbvet View Post
                        And now, here is a photo of the bow of BB-64 in 1951 (orig. bow before collision in 1956):
                        [ATTACH]46713[/ATTACH]
                        The profile of the B&W imagine gives a false impression of the leading edge of the bow compared to the color.
                        But as has been recited previously, the ship is riding much higher in the water.
                        Attached Files

Comment

The hair curler ....

The most noticed item that stands out on an IOWA class-BB is the "hair curler" mounted forward.
                          Better known by those in the know as the NTDS Antenna its location is mounted out of harms way of the 16-inch guns.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Mounting structure ....

The mounting structure made of steel tubing creates the arch over the deck for the NTDS antenna.
                            Attached Files

Comment

The most noticed item that stands out on an IOWA class-BB is the "hair curler" mounted forward.
                              Better known by those in the know as the NTDS Antenna its location is mounted out of harms way of the 16-inch guns.
                              Great Shots keep it up!

Interesting signage about the Link 11 NTDS. I believe the "one way" network was actually Link 14. The two way link between Participating Units (NTDS Computers) was called Link 11 but both links were part of NTDS. I suspect the W had JOTS (Joint Operational Tactical System) as well to aid in Tomahawk targeting? Were you able to get into CIC?

Were there any Docents to talk to on your travels around the ship? Did they have many and were they mostly old Navy guys?

Comment

The cast of docents....

Since you asked....

I was privileged to have four (4) docents during my 2-day inspection.
                                As is tradition with most large ships the "buddy system is used" with a header and a heeler for the docents.

On what I'll call the "04" tour Tom ( an "E7" rated RU, who served on the BB-63) was the header and did an admirable job explaining the O-6's job aboard a ship while showing his in port and at sea cabins. The "heeler" was Bob ( an "O5" who'd been a seadog serving on 5-ships), His last gig was as XO on a Cimarron Class AO... ( I think I got that right)

Pictures of what I'll call the "CIC" will follow in this thread.

For the record both of these pictures were taken in the Admiral's stateroom, which I was informed an admiral never slept in?
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by blidgepump; 02 Sep 18,, 01:02.

Comment

Working...
                                X