No announcement yet.

USS Wisconsin ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blidgepump's pics of the liberty boats sure brings back some memories, lol! Thanks for that!

That one with the top up especially looks identical to what I rode in many times back in the 1980's. I believe we had three of them, for a crew of about 580. Among the saddest words a sailor can hear are "Liberty boats are secured", usually due to bad weather. You're either on the ship, and your good times are postponed, or you're ashore and headed home with empty pockets (and the usual lack of balance and clear vision, lol) just wanting to pass out in your rack. Ahhh, those were fine times!

Comment

• Moving aft ....

A couple of more pictures as the tour heads aft....
      Attached Files

Comment

• great Images BilgePump! The first utility boats were wood I believe fiberglass was added during the 80s conversion I think. For those who don't know I found on on the internet that someone bought for a large sum but it gives some very good images of the inside one of the boats.
        http://www.tadiesels.com/used/boat/boat-1045.html. Some interesting thing in the last photo. Note the modern fueling station (above center right) probably installed in the 80s. Forward of that there are Bollards to which I think up the spring lines would reside I think. Those screwed in plugs in the deck just forward of the bollards could be pad eyes or J davits uesd for fueling. There is the shore power connection box on the left side of the image for 8 600 amp 450 volt cables. That is a lot of juice. the stand pipes are Jp5 I think (yellow) potable water think (light blue) Dark Blue I think is feed water and the red one I s firefighting foam I believe. These ships supplied the destroyers that accompanied them hence the stand pipes these stand pipes could also be for shoreside hotel services not sure which being hotel services makes sense because there is a blanked off stand pipe which could be the shore steam connection again not sure.
        question during my visit I forgot to ask are they replacing rotted wood with teak or pine I know the original was take as the Iowa had a huge stash of it between the to stacks on the 02 level I think, during the mid 70's

Comment

• Great intro ....

Originally posted by Boilermaker9 View Post
          great Images BilgePump! The first utility boats were wood I believe fiberglass was added during the 80s conversion I think. For those who don't know I found on on the internet that someone bought for a large sum but it gives some very good images of the inside one of the boats.
          http://www.tadiesels.com/used/boat/boat-1045.html. Some interesting thing in the last photo. Note the modern fueling station (above center right) probably installed in the 80s. Forward of that there are Bollards to which I think up the spring lines would reside I think. Those screwed in plugs in the deck just forward of the bollards could be pad eyes or J davits uesd for fueling. There is the shore power connection box on the left side of the image for 8 600 amp 450 volt cables. That is a lot of juice. the stand pipes are Jp5 I think (yellow) potable water think (light blue) Dark Blue I think is feed water and the red one I s firefighting foam I believe. These ships supplied the destroyers that accompanied them hence the stand pipes these stand pipes could also be for shoreside hotel services not sure which being hotel services makes sense because there is a blanked off stand pipe which could be the shore steam connection again not sure.
          question during my visit I forgot to ask are they replacing rotted wood with teak or pine I know the original was take as the Iowa had a huge stash of it between the to stacks on the 02 level I think, during the mid 70's
          BM that was a great intro for the following pictures ....
          Attached Files

Comment

• These Shore power Boxes are relatively modern. Probably installed during the conversion. These Boxes had special lockable sockets that a bell mouth shape male end fit into and locked down. It is my recollection that all ships carried connection adapters called "pig tails" that allowed them to hook up to most of the standard cable ends. The pig tails had the male oppisate end of the receptacle on the board pictured and the opposite end individual conductors with standard connections fitted for each conductor. Allowing the electricians to "splice" into the cable from the shore side activity. The splice was made and laid on wooden pallets. Each conductor was then wrapped in rubber /insulation then all the splices were wrapped together for added protection. when one stumbled across the connection on deck it looked like one big mound of rubber! Roped off and in later years OSHA and Navy required yellow tape and signage, indicating the danger. Need I say most of us avoided the area! 450voltss/600amps per cable will fry someone in an instant!!!

These Pig Tails were needed especially when the ship tied up in commercial ports and commercial shipyards, as shore power is not the same or not standard even in the US. Now the cable itself is very heavy and normally required a crane to get it aboard. One could walk down the pier and find remnants of splices and sometimes cable itself. Shore power can be an Electricians nightmare! Especially if someone walked off with the pig tails! Which did happen especially in the shipyard!

Comment

• Was looking around my pictures when I was on board with Rusty back in the days long ago to see if I ran across those shore power outlets at the time. Seems I did.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Here is a shot I found at NARA II in 2017 of the shore power panel on NEW JERSEY as of 1981 in preparations to make the tow to Long Beach for her refit and 1982 recommission:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	BB62 Stbd After Deckhouse-Aug81.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	554.3 KB
ID:	1477779

Comment

• Deck view ...

The bollards viewed from the deck of the Wisconsin.
                  These have a slightly more patriotic theme.
                  It would be nice to wake up every morning and see an Iowa Class-BB out the kitchen window.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by blidgepump; 27 Dec 18,, 04:11.

Comment

• Access?

So I was working my way aft aboard the Wisconsin and I walked by this cute little "Man cave" to the port side of Turret # 3.
                    Any ideas of its purpose?
                    Attached Files

Comment

• BP,

This is simply an exit from the port side 2nd deck ladder. The curved structure would NOT have been there when the ship was in commission. This is a civilian enclosure for entry/exit below. Don't know if it's part of the walk-thru tour or not. The port side steam line entering the crew's mess is just below this ladderway and to the right if memory serves correctly!

Hank
                      Last edited by bbvet; 02 Jan 19,, 13:28.

Comment

• Deck space ...

Passing the aft turret, there is quite a bit of empty deck as these three photos illustrate. Kudos to the maintenance staff for keeping the deck free of vegetation.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• As a continuation (sort of) to Blidgepump's Photo Tour of WISCONSIN, I'll add a few photos I took while on board in September. I attended the USS STODDARD (DD-566) Alumni Assn. reunion and WISCONSIN/Nauticus was part of a tour package offered. It was Friday when we went aboard after a memorial service in Nauticus - slight rain so the ceremony was moved indoors. Without much more than 1-2 hours to visit, I had to do some equipment research on the main deck getting photos/measurements of winches, motors, and the unique sliding padeye kingpost that she alone of the 4 IOWAs had installed prior to decommissioning. So, I managed to get those photos and measurements (somewhat!) and then got shots of obvious equipment that had been added/modified from earlier times and that was about it. One thing I discovered - the tour admission does NOT include going up into the bridge or going down into the engineering spaces. Those are separate fees which, IMHO are total B.S. - a visitor should be able to tour the entire ship on one admission price. A ripoff!!!

OK, so between the photos I took the day before on the harbor tour and onboard the next day, I was able to come up with some interesting shots here and there. One thing I noticed - the maintenance (i.e. - painting or lack thereof) is way behind and this isn't something that WISCONSIN is alone in dealing with - all museum ships spend way too much money on advertising/promotion and who knows what else than keeping their golden goose from rusting/sinking at the pier. Well, here are some photos of various equipment aboard the battleship:

Name:	Port Cargo Winch_2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	448.5 KB
ID:	1478459

Name:	Resized Port ABL Launcher_1.jpg
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	1478460

Name:	Port Boat Crane_1.JPG
Size:	1,020.3 KB
ID:	1478461

Name:	Port Boat Crane_2.jpg
Size:	472.9 KB
ID:	1478462

Name:	Port 03 Level Mooring Winch_1.jpg
Size:	331.0 KB
ID:	1478463
                          I have more, but the limit is 5 - so these kind of show some of the various items aboard the ship.

Comment

• And 5 more photos from my post above:

Name:	After Bulkhead & Accommodation Platf_1.jpg
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	1478464

Name:	146-027-Lowering-Colors-Down.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1478465

Name:	Port Topping Winch & Cargo Winch_1.jpg
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	1478466

Name:	Sliding Pad Eye Kingpost_1.jpg
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	1478467

Name:	Sliding Pad Eye Kingpost_2.jpg
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	1478468
                            The last two are of the sliding pad eye kingpost, used for replenishment at sea.

Comment

• And a few more:

Name:	Stern Light & Flagstaff.jpg
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	1478469

Name:	Stbd Helo Deck Fire Fighting Station_1.jpg
Size:	334.3 KB
ID:	1478470

Name:	Stbd Helo Deck Fire Fighting Station_2.jpg
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	1478471

Name:	Old Proj Booth Port View_2.JPG
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	1478472

Name:	Port AvGas Dolly-Stern Tub_4.JPG
Size:	355.0 KB
ID:	1478473

These photos were all taken with my LG K30 smart phone. I took quite a number of photos with my Nikon D3200, but those photos will need considerable resizing which I haven't gotten around to doing yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X