Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: How smart is Trump really?

Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Contrary by Nature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella View Post
    I was actually talking about Mueller, though the fact that there is a list of decorated veterans & lifelong public servants who GOP supporters treat worse than Russian spies says something about the sickness nestled deep in US politics right now.
    Mueller has been in Dem crosshairs before. Dem support is purely transactional. Look at the comments by them on Comey based on his stance on Clinton v Trump, or the McCain is a crook, (Keating 5) to love McCain, (when he ran against Bush), McCain is a nazi (when he ran against Obama), back to love McCain (now that he is a never trumper. Though I don't see him being treated worse than a Russian spy. BTW, what Russian Spy?

Sorry, should have made it plain I was talking about people who actually won elections. There have been worse Presidents than Trump based on his performance thus far, but very, very few.The levels of chaos are what you would usually expect from the dying days of a disintegrating administration, not the first days of a new one. Personally his behavior before & during is close to being unique, and not for any good reasons.
    The economy is better than it has been in years, internationally the strategic ambiguity seems to be working. It worked previously with Ike and Reagan so I am willing to see how it plays out. Politically his court appointees are solid and his rollback of regulation and executive orders was badly needed. When judged by results he has been very effective which is why so many GOPers and many independent are still with him. His popularity is better than Obama's at this point. When judged based on the merits rather than the man there have been few more effective. Trump is only a failure by two standards; 1. personally as he is a cretin and 2. He is not a progressive. Neither of which are fair standards to judge a Republican administration by. He is less of a creeper than Bill Clinton, about on par with JFK. He is doing no worse as an outsider than Carter.

Quote Originally Posted by hboGYT View Post
    Who are you on Whirlpool? :D
    ???????????

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    When judged by results he has been very effective which is why so many GOPers and many independent are still with him. His popularity is better than Obama's at this point.
    ???????????
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Gallup's got some comparisons. Trump is definitely less than popular than Obama was at this point, but not by much. He's about on par with Reagan and Carter.

http://news.gallup.com/poll/203198/p...ald-trump.aspx

Since he's GOP he's better on the policy front than prior Dem presidents, at least for GOP members. You have to seriously tank to lose your party faithful, and Trump's not there.
    "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    Trump is the most popular figure within the GOP, full stop...but he's not exactly winning independents to get there.

moreover, under the relentless logic of partisanship, he not need be "very effective" to simply be "better on the policy front than prior Dem presidents"-- even if he gets only 20% of what the GOP wants done, that's -still- better than the 0% that they could expect under a Democratic President.

support for Trump is not really based on his effectiveness as a leader, it's more that his supporters view him as one gigantic middle finger to everyone else. Pence would have been far more effective in achieving GOP goals, and he wouldn't be changing a lot of supposed GOP "core values" in the process. but he's not really popular because he's not a walking avatar of offensiveness to liberals that Trump represents.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella View Post
    ???????????
    i wonder if he's referring to this

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by zraver View Post
    internationally the strategic ambiguity seems to be working.
    Could you expand on this? I'm not seeing it. Big rift in the making with the EU, and NK talks might not be happening after all (though tbf I don't blame Trump for this if it does fall apart, just NK being NK). I'm not saying its dumpster fire just yet, but it seems to still be too up in the air to be 'seeming to work'.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    i wonder if he's referring to this

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/
    I'm aware of the forum, I just couldn't see the link.

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Regular

Some art, really

Thread Information