What are you drinking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How'd you like Surly Hell?
    "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
      How'd you like Surly Hell?
      I love it. I really mix it up as far as craft beers go (separate the wheat from the chaff, learn what's good), but I've been drinking probably about 15-20 Surly Hells a year for the last several years. I lived ~19 blocks from the brewery for 4 years, and now it's 8 blocks of walking, and a light rail transfer away.

My alma mater's big liquor store slings overstock craft beer from across the nation for $6 for a 12-pack and $12 for a case. Surly is unfortunately never on sale there. Lots of craft sampler packs though. I usually get my Surly and other local crafts on tap during happy hours, before switching to regional domestics when happy hour is over.
      Last edited by Ironduke; 26 May 18,, 03:19.
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

In the last couple days:
        I wouldn't recommend the Smoked Lager. I'll finish the one I just opened, but I just don't care for smoky flavors in my beer. Came as part of a steeply discounted sampler 12-pack.

Also had a Thums Up this afternoon, for the first time in 7 years. Was $2 (=135 rupees) for a 300 mL can.

Comment

I have to pass a physical every 6 months and have to do a random pee test every so often. So I limit myself to 3 drinks a week. Not to sound like a sauce hound,

Had a great rum in Panama. See attached photo. Former Japanese student gifts me with Japanese single malts and blends. They are as good as the Scots.

US craft beers hit and miss. In the fall pumpkin beers. Shipyards Smashed Pumpkin or Buffalo Bills Pumpkin Ale. Also seasonal North Coast LAGUNA BAJA a Mexican style dark lager. Year-round Oskar Blues Ten Fidy Imperial Stout in a tin.

The German Dark Wheat Beer awesome.

For smoked beer, Germany's Aecht Brewery. Their Urbock is like drinking smoked gouda, and their Marzen is pretty good too. Beer darker=better

After work, the crew will gather for a cocktail and scintillating conversation. I like to think of myself as a designated drinker a facilitator of understanding.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dazed View Post
            US craft beers hit and miss. In the fall pumpkin beers. Shipyards Smashed Pumpkin or Buffalo Bills Pumpkin Ale. Also seasonal North Coast LAGUNA BAJA a Mexican style dark lager. Year-round Oskar Blues Ten Fidy Imperial Stout in a tin.
            A lot of trial and error in the US craft beer industry. Also a lot of breweries trying to cash in on the craft beer craze with garbage. By far the worst is the Mihas Brewery in Wisconsin, in my opinion.

My current six-pack is 39 Red IPA by Beaver Island Brewing of St. Cloud, MN.

Not great, but not bad either. Was being sold in a firesale for $3.99 for a sixer. The beer seems like they're trying to do two things at once, it's not very malty, and not very hoppy either. This is my second six-pack. Only bought it because of its price. I'd recommend a pint at the bar as a taste test, different strokes for different folks.

As long as it's $3.99 a six-pack, I'll keep buying it. Cheaper than a six-pack of Grain Belt, PBR, and even cheaper than the world famous Old Style beer from Chicago.
            Last edited by Ironduke; 07 Jun 18,, 19:00.

Comment

Fuller's ESB & Bengal Lancer are great!!! When I can find it.

Hot weather quick drinking....a couple of ice cold Bud Lights are great right after cutting the lawn or doing other yard work.

I am partial to wheats.

Sam Adams Summer Ale is pretty good. We have a LOT of microbreweries here in Richmond-Petersburg area. I like Trapezium White Ale from Petersburg, Also Strangeways Albino Monkey and Blue Ridge Oktoberfest.

My 2 favorite straight up wheats are Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat out of KC and Allagash White out of Maine.

Hands down old time favorite is Golden Flounder from Buzzards Bay Brewery in Westport, MA. Its a little farm town on the Southcoast where I plan to retire (first town east of Fall River). And on a cold January day their West Porter is something to behold.
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

I've found that pretty much anything by Boulevard is good. I've had maybe a case or two of the Unfiltered Wheat, and probably about 10 cases of Zon.

I'd rather have a Hoegaarden, but when your alma mater's liquor store is slinging Boulevard for $12/case (24), I can't pass it up when I get the chance.

Comment

Tea!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                    I've found that pretty much anything by Boulevard is good. I've had maybe a case or two of the Unfiltered Wheat, and probably about 10 cases of Zon.

I'd rather have a Hoegaarden, but when your alma mater's liquor store is slinging Boulevard for $12/case (24), I can't pass it up when I get the chance.
                    If you're ever in the Kansas City area, Boulevard does 45 minute tours of their brewery for $5 and of course the option to try all different kinds of beer. The guides are knowledgeable and they throw in three 5 oz glasses of beer for free with additional ones you'd like to sample for like $2.

I'm not a huge beer drinker myself, but I love me some Jim Beam Red Stag or Jim Beam Vanilla in a cold glass of Coke. The former tastes like Cherry Coke, and the latter tastes like Vanilla Coke!

Comment

Gin and Tonic.

6 shots New Amsterdam gin.
                      5 ice cubes.
                      Healthy splash of lemon juice.
                      12 oz Schweppes Diet Tonic Water.

I'm on my third G&T of the night. Started about 3 hours ago. Feeling pretty good. I'd rather it was Gordon's gin, or even better Hendrick's.

Listening to David Bowie and WABbing.
                      Last edited by Ironduke; 31 Mar 19,, 08:57.

Comment

In BKK at the moment. Havin a Chang or two before going down the road to a local boozer.

Listening to Dayglo Abortions

Comment

A little something to wash down an excellent steak, on a Sunday night.
                          Attached Files
                          Trust me?
                          I'm an economist!

Comment

I am poor so only pure water, sadly !

Comment

What is the Himalayan?
                              Never drank Old Monk Beer. Is that even sold in India? The company started as a cheap beer manufacturer during the 19th century though.
                              Flying Horse?
                              Dansberg?
                              Himalayan Snowmon?
                              Taj Mahal?

Okay, Old Monk Rum, they drank it just like I do. Yep I do now. And the taste is exactly like how they described it. The aftertaste and all.

I've never seen the above beers in India. And a girl who drinks beer as well as Old Monk, is a keeper.
                              Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

We’re moving from London to Orlando this month, 10 weeks later than planned, but finally underway this week. After arriving here from Hong Kong in late 2015, my wife and I put some stuff in storage. The moving guys — including the first Kurd I’ve met — said one box was wine, which they won’t move.

Here’s what we have to drink up in the next two weeks:

Australia
                                Cyril Henschke Cabernet Sauvignon 1996
                                Rockford Basket Press Shiraz 2007 (see 3 posts up for an earlier victim)

California
                                Jordon Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 (“Drink: 2016-21”)
                                St. Francis Cabernet Sauvignon 2013
                                La Crema Pinot Noir 2013
                                Limerick Lane Syrah 2011 (“Last Syrah produced; 1 per customer”)

France
                                Clos des Papes Chateauneuf du Pape 2006 (“Drink 2011-29”)
                                Chevalier de Lascombes Margaux 2008
                                Clos de l’Olivier Minervois 2012
                                Cornalin 2012 Domaine des Muses
                                Chorey les Beaune 2013

Italy
                                Damilano Cannuli Barolo 2008 (“Drink 2016-26”)
                                Trust me?
                                I'm an economist!

Comment

Working...
                                X