What are you drinking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you drinking?

Picked up a six-pack of Old Style at the local liquor store. A Chicago domestic lager. Only $5 for a six-pack.

Looking at the can - it's made by Heileman's, established in 1902, it's "Pure" and "Genuine", a "Classic Lager", it's made with "Sparkling Pure Spring Water" using "Old World Methods".

Not bad for $5/six-pack. I think I'm getting my money's worth.

Not quite as nice as the overstock/past sell-by-date craft beer my alma mater's liquor store buys up on the cheap from local distributors, and slings for $10-12/case, but it's not bad either.

If I'm going to drink cheap domestics, I usually go for Grain Belt Premium or PBR. I usually alternate between the two, as the adjunct sweetness of a "Premo" is balanced out by the crispness of the PBR, and vice versa.

I've got to say though, I'm really getting turned on to Old Style. Its taste is somewhat balanced between the extremes of "Premos" and PBRs.
    Last edited by Ironduke; 03 May 18,, 02:58.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Barossa Ink, 2016 shiraz
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

Comment

Oldstyle is great stuff. 2nd favorite of the "cheap beers" out there. I keep a case of it in the basement.

Friday night I'm going to the Yardhouse, which is a Baskin Robins of beer. Beer flights, beer samples, 100 beers on tap, beer comes in a yard-long glass, beer beer beer. Probably going to go with some Belgian Doubles!
      "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
        Oldstyle is great stuff. 2nd favorite of the "cheap beers" out there. I keep a case of it in the basement.

Friday night I'm going to the Yardhouse, which is a Baskin Robins of beer. Beer flights, beer samples, 100 beers on tap, beer comes in a yard-long glass, beer beer beer. Probably going to go with some Belgian Doubles!
        What will you be drinking ?

:=>
        Trust me?
        I'm an economist!

Comment

ALL THE BEERS

I am going to try Pipeworks "Blood of the Unicorn." Fruity, piney amber ale. It's a bit outside my wheel-house, so looking forward to trying it! After that, I don't know. My wife is the DD, so I will be trying many, many things.
          "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Had this stout called the Cape Ann Old Anteater, 11% ABV brewed with cocoa and whole black ants. Gnarly stuff, but if you're into stouts it's definitely a must try.
            "Draft beer, not people."

Comment

I used to like the Spaten Optimator Bock but now, frugally, making do with Trader Jose at under $6.00.

Comment

Strongbow dark fruit and tequila at my local Spoons. Will grab a 6 pack of Stella on my way home.

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
                  Barossa Ink, 2016 shiraz
                  You always did like the Barossa. :-)
                  sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

I don't drink much, so I've been able to become something of a beer snob, courtesy largely of a mate who feeds me some stellar beer.

As we speak I'm drinking a 1914 Strong Ale from Fullers, the best brewer in the world. The friend who got me into this somewhat expensive drop buys straight from the distributor. Through him I was able to score an out of date box for half price - $5 per 500ml bottle. This stuff is just magnificent. I'm not up to describing it, just drink some. 7.3%

My other new fave is the new Zealand microbrewery Garage Project. They use NZ & Australian hops to create some stunning beers. They have singlehandedly saved the IPA from US & Australian microbrewers, who seem to think that lots of hops must equal excessive bitterness. Garage project beers are the best smelling beers ever. Full of fruity hops. The taste isn't as strong, but just as good. Not sure if this stuff will make it stateside, but get into it if you see it.

Once in a while I also pop in to the Moon Dog brewery, which is 5 minutes from my house. The pizza van out front is perfect. order, buy a beer, find a table & the pizza is ready. If anyone is ever in the area its my shout.....though if you want to visit the brothel 2 doors down you are on your own. ;-)
                    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Last night, I chased the Green Fairy at a local speakeasy, for the first time in about a year.

Had a swirl glass of St George Absinthe Verte.

Spent about an hour on that single glass, dropping ice water over a sugar cube on a slotted spoon, until I got it just right.

Definitely a slow sipper, for me at least. Good stuff, but just a once a year or every few months type of thing.
                      Last edited by Ironduke; 05 May 18,, 17:59.

Comment

Today I had a pint (20z, the correct size) each of:

Fuller's Extra Special Bitter
                        Fuller's Bengal Lancer

Good stuff.

Comment

Recovered a couple bottles of Killepitsch I stashed away somewhere a year ago.

More than 90 fruits, berries, herbs provide the base for this 84 proof Herbal liqueur. Similat to Jaegermeister in color, consistancy, and taste, Killepitsch goes beyond with a much stronger, more complex nature with hints of licorice, anise, and gentian. Great on the rocks, as a shot, or cocktail additive.The name and drink both were concocted at the end of WWII as a need for something new to drink to celebrate new beginnings was in teh air. "If they don't KILL us now, we will have a chance to PiITSCH a few more" was the mantra and from it was born Killepitsch. Killepitsch beat a very prestigious group of herbal liqueurs at the Tasting Institute of Chicago scoring the top mark of 94 points and an "Exceptional" rating.
                          https://www.winechateau.com/products...iqueur-krauter

KILLEPITSCH - PREMIUM KRAUTERLIKOR

History: The guarded formula for Killepitsch is a recipe of the Busch family, distillers from Dusseldorf, dating back to 1858. The name “Killepitsch” came from Willi Busch who while in an air-raid shelter during the Second World War, promised to toast new beginnings with his friend Hans Müller-Schlösser if they survived. The message to his friend was “If they don’t ‘KILL’ us now, we will have a chance to ‘PITSCH’“ (local vernacular for drink), creating the name “Killepitsch.”

The brand was formally launched in the 1950s. Today, Killepitsch is still produced in Dusseldorf by the family heir, Peter Busch.
                          http://www.visionwineandspirits.com/brand/killepitsch/

Comment

Summer's here and mint is in full bloom. You know what that means: mojitos!

I just do standard Bacardi. They taste great but I tend to double up the mint. 10-12 leaves per pour. Mmmmmm mmmmm good.

Comment

In the last few days, I've had:

Last week, I was drinking:

And the cherry on top, from supposedly the world's oldest brewery:

https://www.weihenstephaner.com/our-brewery/history/
                              Last edited by Ironduke; 26 May 18,, 00:22.

Comment

Working...
                              X