Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are you drinking?

How'd you like Surly Hell?
    "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GVChamp View Post
    How'd you like Surly Hell?
    I love it. I really mix it up as far as craft beers go (separate the wheat from the chaff, learn what's good), but I've been drinking probably about 15-20 Surly Hells a year for the last several years. I lived ~19 blocks from the brewery for 4 years, and now it's 8 blocks of walking, and a light rail transfer away.

My alma mater's big liquor store slings overstock craft beer from across the nation for $6 for a 12-pack and $12 for a case. Surly is unfortunately never on sale there. Lots of craft sampler packs though. I usually get my Surly and other local crafts on tap during happy hours, before switching to regional domestics when happy hour is over.
    Last edited by Ironduke; 26 May 18, at 03:19.
    What I don't want to see is the Bills winning a Super Bowl. As long as I'm alive that doesn't happen.

In the last couple days:

I wouldn't recommend the Smoked Lager. I'll finish the one I just opened, but I just don't care for smoky flavors in my beer. Came as part of a steeply discounted sampler 12-pack.

Also had a Thums Up this afternoon, for the first time in 7 years. Was $2 (=135 rupees) for a 300 mL can.
    What I don't want to see is the Bills winning a Super Bowl. As long as I'm alive that doesn't happen.

Contributor
    I have to pass a physical every 6 months and have to do a random pee test every so often. So I limit myself to 3 drinks a week. Not to sound like a sauce hound,

Had a great rum in Panama. See attached photo. Former Japanese student gifts me with Japanese single malts and blends. They are as good as the Scots.

US craft beers hit and miss. In the fall pumpkin beers. Shipyards Smashed Pumpkin or Buffalo Bills Pumpkin Ale. Also seasonal North Coast LAGUNA BAJA a Mexican style dark lager. Year-round Oskar Blues Ten Fidy Imperial Stout in a tin.

The German Dark Wheat Beer awesome.

For smoked beer, Germany's Aecht Brewery. Their Urbock is like drinking smoked gouda, and their Marzen is pretty good too. Beer darker=better

After work, the crew will gather for a cocktail and scintillating conversation. I like to think of myself as a designated drinker a facilitator of understanding.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
    US craft beers hit and miss. In the fall pumpkin beers. Shipyards Smashed Pumpkin or Buffalo Bills Pumpkin Ale. Also seasonal North Coast LAGUNA BAJA a Mexican style dark lager. Year-round Oskar Blues Ten Fidy Imperial Stout in a tin.
    A lot of trial and error in the US craft beer industry. Also a lot of breweries trying to cash in on the craft beer craze with garbage. By far the worst is the Mihas Brewery in Wisconsin, in my opinion.

My current six-pack is 39 Red IPA by Beaver Island Brewing of St. Cloud, MN.

Not great, but not bad either. Was being sold in a firesale for $3.99 for a sixer. The beer seems like they're trying to do two things at once, it's not very malty, and not very hoppy either. This is my second six-pack. Only bought it because of its price. I'd recommend a pint at the bar as a taste test, different strokes for different folks.

As long as it's $3.99 a six-pack, I'll keep buying it. Cheaper than a six-pack of Grain Belt, PBR, and even cheaper than the world famous Old Style beer from Chicago.
    Last edited by Ironduke; 07 Jun 18, at 19:00.

Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Fuller's ESB & Bengal Lancer are great!!! When I can find it.

Hot weather quick drinking....a couple of ice cold Bud Lights are great right after cutting the lawn or doing other yard work.

I am partial to wheats.

Sam Adams Summer Ale is pretty good. We have a LOT of microbreweries here in Richmond-Petersburg area. I like Trapezium White Ale from Petersburg, Also Strangeways Albino Monkey and Blue Ridge Oktoberfest.

My 2 favorite straight up wheats are Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat out of KC and Allagash White out of Maine.

Hands down old time favorite is Golden Flounder from Buzzards Bay Brewery in Westport, MA. Its a little farm town on the Southcoast where I plan to retire (first town east of Fall River). And on a cold January day their West Porter is something to behold.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

I've found that pretty much anything by Boulevard is good. I've had maybe a case or two of the Unfiltered Wheat, and probably about 10 cases of Zon.

I'd rather have a Hoegaarden, but when your alma mater's liquor store is slinging Boulevard for $12/case (24), I can't pass it up when I get the chance.

Thread Information