Help wanted in buying a laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
    What's the deal with the power instability? Is solar getting big as a result?
    Until the monsoons begin, it gets hot, people turn on AC's, we get brownuts. It varies depedning on location in the state and between states

Once the monsoons start it cools down and there are less brownouts

I've been looking at solar panels to use with a UPS, but they are pricey. Apparently Canadians make the best panels able to withstand temperatures around 100-120 degrees C.

Question is when is the break even point. To make use of solar requires needing solar during the daytime when its not always needed. There there are batteries which are required during a brownout. So the panels can help with charging and topping up.

There are no govt incentives to encourage the use of solar as yet. Its not possible to feed back any surplus into the grid but can get a reduction on the power bill

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
      Not enough power generation, and an inefficient power delivery system.

When I was in Chennai, there were also often rolling blackouts. Power would be cut for 2 hours or more at a time, with different parts of the city essentially taking turns getting electricity.

Really sucks when it's 120 degrees outside with 99% humidity, and you're just chilling in the hotel room mid-day watching TV, smoking Charms, beedis, and chugging bottled water, and all of the sudden you ain't got a ceiling fan running anymore. Or anything to watch on TV. That's when you go out, walk around, try to stay in the shade, and make sure to drink a Coca-Cola or Thums Up every 15 or 20 minutes to stay hydrated and energized.

Rolling blackouts are intentional. There are also, of course, non-intentional disruptions to the power supply. During monsoon season, you're often halfway up to your knees wading through water in many Indian cities. The high winds and all that water can disrupt the electrical supply, much like anywhere else, by physically knocking out poles and lines.
      So you know the deal, this is where a UPS comes in, hooked up to batteries. Though the kind of humidity you get there isn't easily handled with a fan , but can be in Bangalore which is a mile up in the sky. I rarely need an AC here. A fast moving fan is usually enough. Other parts of the state where altitude is closer to sea level and its different.

Wading in water is due to urban sprawl often times illegal in low lying areas, that used to be tanks, lakes or ponds once upon a time.

Coconut fronds take out wires frequently

Anyway none of this compares to what those poor people in Puerto Rico are putting up with. Six months without electricity is crazy, could be upto a year after they get back
      Last edited by Double Edge; 05 May 18,, 18:43.

Comment

There's lots of people up on those roofs in the densely populated parts of Indian cities too.

I imagine that it would be easy for someone to access one's roof, simply by walking across other connected rooftops, and steal one's solar panels.

If one were to have a bungalow surrounded by brick or stone walls and gates, then it would be much less risky.
        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Got the Macbook on 9th-May. Ordered on 4th, it took 6 days to deliver. With it a 32GB USB 3.1 pendrive and a JBL ear-phone.

Review: Battery back-up is as promised. Worked straight 8 hrs in battery mode (Youtube, Coding, New sites, etc) and still 32% remaining. No heat generated that would cause any alarm. Windows machine running for 8 straight hours would usually leave burn marks on thighs. Multi-tasking is cool with 7 applications running at a time in 2 desktop backgrounds. Safari is faster, but I am a fan of Chrome, runs well on Mac too. Backlit keyboard is a blessing during power-cuts. Overall performance is very good. Well worth the money. Satisfied. Pics incoming.
          Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
            I always like it when it rains as it cools down and brownouts are less frequent. The other factor i think would help with that is the state assembly elections are up next week so power wise generally would remain stable, can't really say that was the case. I was expecting April to be a power cut free month, it wasn't

As far as keyboards go i've always found thinkpads to have the best, lenovo these days
            Come visit NE. It rained for 4 days continously. Lucky me, I stacked up on smoke and booze. :D
            Yesterday was sunny, humid and hot, but it rained again in the evening. I'd say for a tropical country, heavy downpours are a blessing in disguise. I like my weather cool. Today all I see is overcast sky. Not much heat.

Keyboard - Thinkpad, Dell Latitude, HP Pavilion - Good. Worked on all three, liked HP Pavilion's keyboard the most. But, Apple has the best keyboard beating the nearest rivals hands down.
            Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

So you know the deal, this is where a UPS comes in, hooked up to batteries. Though the kind of humidity you get there isn't easily handled with a fan , but can be in Bangalore which is a mile up in the sky. I rarely need an AC here. A fast moving fan is usually enough. Other parts of the state where altitude is closer to sea level and its different.
              Originally posted by Oracle View Post
              Come visit NE. It rained for 4 days continously. Lucky me, I stacked up on smoke and booze. :D
              Yesterday was sunny, humid and hot, but it rained again in the evening. I'd say for a tropical country, heavy downpours are a blessing in disguise. I like my weather cool. Today all I see is overcast sky. Not much heat.
              One of the nice things I like about not having AC, is that I'm forced to go outside in the summer.

My previous residence had a front yard with a patio area of sorts, a couple nice chairs, where I could sit back, relax, and drink and vape/smoke when it was too hot to stay inside. I'd spend all day out there, alternating between 15 minutes of yard and grounds work and 30 minutes of relaxing.

Since my current residence doesn't have that, and I'm no longer doing pro bono handyman/groundskeeping work, I'm going to spend my off-days, and probably spend an arm and a leg, on the many rooftop bars we have in Minneapolis this summer.

I like how down South, people just sit out on that front porch all day, drinking lemonade, iced tea, and mint julips all day.

I do wish I had a ceiling fan though.
              Last edited by Ironduke; 14 May 18,, 06:51.

Comment

Keyboard - Thinkpad, Dell Latitude, HP Pavilion - Good. Worked on all three, liked HP Pavilion's keyboard the most. But, Apple has the best keyboard beating the nearest rivals hands down.
                Which macbook is this, has to be pre-2016. Doubt you would like zero travel

Comment

One of the nice things I like about not having AC, is that I'm forced to go outside in the summer.

My previous residence had a front yard with a patio area of sorts, a couple nice chairs, where I could sit back, relax, and drink and vape/smoke when it was too hot to stay inside. I'd spend all day out there, alternating between 15 minutes of yard and grounds work and 30 minutes of relaxing.
                  Bangalore is very pleasant outdoors in the evening if you can handle the mosquitoes

Since my current residence doesn't have that, and I'm no longer doing pro bono handyman/groundskeeping work, I'm going to spend my off-days, and probably spend an arm and a leg, on the many rooftop bars we have in Minneapolis this summer.

I like how down South, people just sit out on that front porch all day, drinking lemonade, iced tea, and mint julips all day.

Ceiling fans are great, why haven't you got one
                  Last edited by Double Edge; 15 May 18,, 22:52.

Comment

Which macbook is this, has to be pre-2016. Doubt you would like zero travel
                    High Sierra. This is a 2017 model, which I got for a 21% discount. Priced INR 77,200, got it at INR 61,000. With the JBL ear-phone and the Sony 32GB USB, it cost me 64K. Steal, as I see it.

Good point about travel, I like it coz it's 1.3 kgs. Don't even feel the weight. Good for mobility. 13.3 inches HD screen.

Don't understand why I am unable to see the pics I just attached. Will look into it later.
                    Last edited by Oracle; 14 May 18,, 13:14.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 18.09.56.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	1476486

Comment

One of the things that tier II towns in India have are Bungalows. Not cramped for space. 2/3 storied, and that has a verandah in the front to keep one from the heat, provide shade and air. It's a relief. When it's not raining, plains in NE are very warm. It's impossible to make do without a ceiling fan. I wanted to get an AC, but then rains arrived.

No rooftop bars here. People are nosy, bothersome and don't mind their own business. The only bars we have here are some not so nice licensed ones, where people get violent and start fighting if they had a little too much, and some shady unlicensed bars where Police can raid any moment as call-girls throng the area. I avoid both. Buy the booze, and have it in the rooftop. It's much cooler in the rooftop after sundown. I was born in the hills, and now have to make do in the plains. Life!

Got some thick raw mango pulp, some local company makes it. Not a fan of juices or cola, but I want to try it this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
                          What's the deal with the power instability? Is solar getting big as a result?
                          What DE and ID have already said, I will add some points. The power infrastructure is a British legacy. It runs on maintenance courtesy Chinese equipments. Very inferior products. So there are distribution losses. Not enough electricity generation, though the current BJP government is trying to address this issue. Solar getting big is due to environmental issues, plus the additional MWs of power generated. Electricity theft, mainly in North India, but happens everywhere. During rains/storm/monsoon, the outage is due to tress falling into live wires and people getting electrocuted. Though so far, the outages I have experienced is nothing compared to what was 2 decades back - for every 1 hr or power, the next hr would be an unplanned outage. I faced the same in NCR back in the summer of 2006/07. Beers in the fridge made life less miserable. Keeping oneself hydrated is very important, so that people don't have sunstroke.

Comment

Wading in water is due to urban sprawl often times illegal in low lying areas, that used to be tanks, lakes or ponds once upon a time.

Coconut fronds take out wires frequently

Anyway none of this compares to what those poor people in Puerto Rico are putting up with. Six months without electricity is crazy, could be upto a year after they get back
                            We have an inverter. Lights and fans are on during outages. But can't connect Laptop, those points aren't connected to the inverted connection. This is where battery backup comes handy.

Bangalore is hot during Mar-May, then monsoon showers cool it down. A fan is okay.

Comment

Keeping oneself hydrated is very important, so that people don't have sunstroke.
                              I thought it important to point out for any future tropical travelers - that sugar in the soft drinks, pressed sugar cane, juices made on the street - an absolute vital necessity.

Sugary drinks makes Westerners living in cold climates/in AC indoor environments slow, fat, and diabetic. Whereas in tropical climes one might need 2000 cals of sugary drink a day.

Comment

I thought it important to point out for any future tropical travelers - that sugar in the soft drinks, pressed sugar cane, juices made on the street - an absolute vital necessity.

Sugary drinks makes Westerners living in cold climates/in AC indoor environments slow, fat, and diabetic. Whereas in tropical climes one might need 2000 cals of sugary drink a day.
                                Good and an important point. Small 'fruit juice' stalls (freshly made mango/watermelon/lemon/apple etc) can be found all over India. During summer, people should have 1 glass of juice every 2 hrs if they are outside. Summer in India is treacherous, and the maximum street prices of the juices are 30 cents and less. And, they mix crushed ice too, if people so desire.
                                Last edited by Oracle; 15 May 18,, 12:07.

Comment

Working...
                                X