Armenian Spring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armenian Spring?

For some days protests have been ongoing in Armenia (aka Hayastan) regarding the continuance in power Serzh Sargsyan. This member of the Armenian 'Rebuplican Party' had served two times as President - the limit by law so sought a fix that would allow him to continue in power. Around 2016 he proposed that Armenia should become a Parliamentary led democracy instead of a Presidential led democracy as it had been. He publicly denied having any ambitions on the the Prime Ministership of course. Well all went through with much ballot rigging and bribery - referendums and votes were overcome and Armenian became a Parliamentary democracy. Guess who was elected as PM? Brother Serzh naturally. This was 11 days ago or so. Well to most Armenians it was pretty clear it was a fix from the start but seeing it so blatantly unfold in front of them was a bit too much - as it had been for the Muscovites when Putin's fix became clear in 2011. They took to the streets;

Click image for larger version

Name:	DbYfeYgVAAEs_Tm.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	377.4 KB
ID:	1485729

The self proclaimed 'leader' of this protest - an opposition MP called Nikol Pashinyan saying he wanted a "velvet revolution" (harking back to the peaceful overthrow of the old commies in what was then Czechoslovokia in 1989).

Yesterday Sargsyan and Pashinyan met - allegedly for "talks" but they got nowhere - Sargsyan walked out (there is a youtube video but it won't let me post it for some reason).

Shortly after the failed meeting Pashiyan and some of his senior supporters and some 200/300hundred other protests were arrested (there is video of this too).

Today some of the army was marching with the protestor and then out of nowhere comes a statement from Sargsyan that he will resign - his Mother having died two days before - and hand over to the deputy (and former) PM Karen Karapetyan.
    Last edited by snapper; 25 Apr 18,, 15:40.

They are back out on the streets again today after planned talks between Nikol Pashinyan and Karen Karapetyan failed to take place. Live feed here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB0YfjS2YS8

Comment

Russian joke: "Wouldn’t it be great if the people came into to streets to kick out Putin like what happened in Armenia?" "Yes, but the problem is there aren’t enough Armenians in Russia!" (courtesy of Gary Kasperov).

Comment

Pashiyan was this morning elected Prime Minister of Armenia.

Comment

Snapper,

I have only followed this in a limited fashion, but it looks like the forces of authoritarianism have shot themselves in the foot. They appeared to have tried the Putin tactic of shifting powers from Presidency to PM assuming their guy would be guaranteed the job. Now the people have spoken and the opposition leader assumes all those powers.

Is Pashinyan going to be able to use those powers to make substantive change? What options do the forces of authoritarianism have? Will Putin come to their assistance?

Good news for now.
          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

More hopefull for sure. Pashiyan has been a journalist/activist most of his life. What he can do I think remains to be seen. The Armenian Republican Party still has most MPs so a free and fair election may be among the priorities. I honestly cannot say what his plans are of course but he/they have done well to get where they have. Watch and see I suppose. The Poroshenko gang seem hopeful.
            Last edited by snapper; 09 May 18,, 16:48.

Comment

Working...
            X