Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US has taken a "9G turn" towards space superiority?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US has taken a "9G turn" towards space superiority?

Some eyebrow raising comments in the latest Air Force Magazine:

http://www.airforcemag.com/DRArchive...op-for-AI.aspx

Also interesting: Mike Griffin says he wants multi hundred kilowatt class laser on AF tankers in a few years and megawatt class lasers in space by the end of the next decade.

Some should ask Mr. Griffin what the USAF to give up in return for megawatt level BMD laser battle stations (and such a scheme would require multiple orbits of those multibillion dollar battle stations).

Comment

I'm still scratching my head about the space superiority comments. Suspecting that there are oceans there we don't know about.

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
        I'm still scratching my head about the space superiority comments. Suspecting that there are oceans there we don't know about.
        You mean we need sharks with frickin' laser beams on their heads?
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          You mean we need sharks with frickin' laser beams on their heads?
          How do you know we don't already have them.... in space? :D

Comment

How do you know we don't already have them.... in space? :D

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
              ROFL is this Sharknado in space?

Comment

ROFL is this Sharknado in space?
                Sharknado 3, the best of the Sharknado movies so far. You have to watch it to believe it.

Comment

megawatt class lasers in space by the end of the next decade.
                  Sounds like the beginning of the plot to one of Seagal's Under Siege films, or an Austin Powers movie.

Don't get me wrong, space/tanker lasers would be awesome to have, but they would probably induce collateral expenditure elsewhere, including a revival of the nuclear arms race. That being said, if our adversaries are pursuing these technologies, what choice do we have?
                  Last edited by Ironduke; 20 Apr 18,, 23:51.
                  "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                    Sounds like the beginning of the plot to one of Seagal's Under Siege films, or an Austin Powers movie.

Don't get me wrong, space/tanker lasers would be awesome to have, but they would probably induce collateral expenditure elsewhere, including a revival of the nuclear arms race. That being said, if our adversaries are pursuing these technologies, what choice do we have?
                    I'll believe it when I see it.

A megawatt laser will probably require something the size of the Polyus, that 80 ton battlestation (sure, current tech could probably shrink the laser's physical size, but I think they might want something in the multi-megawatt range if missile defense is the way to go).

A superheavy battle station will probably have acquisition costs coming close to that of a carrier (especially if you want people onboard and don't quite trust datalink enabled automation).

Comment

A part of the picture:

https://breakingdefense.com/2018/04/...stems-upgrade/

Comment

Secretary Mattis and Chairman Dunford held a press conference today. With regards to the 'Space Force', I got the impression they were standing up US Space Command as a functional unified combatant command (which makes total sense), but they did not elaborate on the creation of a separate military branch (which IMO isn't required at this time).

Comment

I didn't see the megawatt laser reference in the page?

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                            I didn't see the megawatt laser reference in the page?
                            Second to last sentence in the third article from the top down.

Comment

Originally posted by JA Boomer View Post
                              Secretary Mattis and Chairman Dunford held a press conference today. With regards to the 'Space Force', I got the impression they were standing up US Space Command as a functional unified combatant command (which makes total sense), but they did not elaborate on the creation of a separate military branch (which IMO isn't required at this time).
                              Indeed; setting up a new branch is probably not going to be good for keeping various space related programs on the projected timelines.

Comment

Working...
                              X