Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, what about them marine infantry squads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=JCT;1039797USMC is constantly trying to tinker with the size of the squad and I think they are leaning on technology in an effort to reduce the size (to keep budgets down, a significant portion of USMC budget goes to personnel paychecks.)[/QUOTE]

Manpower is always the most expensive part of any DOD budget. Keep in mind what you are mostly paying for when you buy something....whether a Skillcraft pen (happy 50th Birthday!), M1A2, F-35C or USS Gerald Ford (less nukes), the largest single cost is always labor.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
      Manpower is always the most expensive part of any DOD budget. Keep in mind what you are mostly paying for when you buy something....whether a Skillcraft pen (happy 50th Birthday!), M1A2, F-35C or USS Gerald Ford (less nukes), the largest single cost is always labor.
      Yes, and the cheap part of a system's life cycle is procurement. Sustainment is the expensive part. Lots of labor dollars involved their too!

Comment

This has been enlightening. Whatever else, the proposed Marine squad sure is different. Just a few years ago a lot of folks thought the Russian infantry squad with assault rifles, UGLs, a DMR, a SAW and a PKM was the hottest stuff out there. Now the Marines are floating squads that are on a single caliber... interesting.
        All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
        -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Originally posted by JCT View Post
          Yes, and the cheap part of a system's life cycle is procurement. Sustainment is the expensive part. Lots of labor dollars involved their too!
          Gee, you sound like you know what DAU is!
          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            Gee, you sound like you know what DAU is!
            DAWAI SPRDE Lvl 2 qualified. Have to do the 80 hours of training every 2 years, which is a PITA! I'm very familiar with the insides of the local DAU facilities and their horrible horrible website.

This has been enlightening. Whatever else, the proposed Marine squad sure is different. Just a few years ago a lot of folks thought the Russian infantry squad with assault rifles, UGLs, a DMR, a SAW and a PKM was the hottest stuff out there. Now the Marines are floating squads that are on a single caliber... interesting.
            The entire rifle platoon has been on a single caliber since forever (I don't want to throw out a date or say fielding of the M16 as someone will point out that I'm wrong! Forever being defined as when I joined up.) The platoon Cdr even has a rifle. The rifle companies have 7.62mm, and if you want to get technical, they used to have .50cal spotting rounds for the SMAWs. Not sure if they still use these or have gone to something else.

Comment

Yeah, but for a while some of the DMR were 7.62mm--the USMC must be really confident with the new 5.56mm.
              All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
              -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Originally posted by JCT View Post
                DAWAI SPRDE Lvl 2 qualified. Have to do the 80 hours of training every 2 years, which is a PITA! I'm very familiar with the insides of the local DAU facilities and their horrible horrible website.
                DAWAI ACQLOG Level 3 qualified here!
                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                X