Gunnery Sergeant R. Lee Ermey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunnery Sergeant R. Lee Ermey

I would have to imagine that most all of us know this man or are aware of this man one way or the other.

He passed away today from complications due to pneumonia.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...was-74-1102863

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
    I would have to imagine that most all of us know this man or are aware of this man one way or the other.

He passed away today from complications due to pneumonia.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...was-74-1102863
    Was never a big fan (seemed a bit of a bully), but did have respect for him (given how he got the role in FMJ). This does seem a relatively young age to die
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

RIP Gunny
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Ironically I watched FMJ on Netflix last night for another time. At the time it came out I wasn't aware that he was actually a former Marine. So watching that clip again makes me wonder whether that whole sequence was ad-libbed much like much of Robin Williams lines in Good Morning Vietnam. I certainly can't imagine any civilian writer coming up with all those lines in FMJ.

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
          Was never a big fan (seemed a bit of a bully), but did have respect for him (given how he got the role in FMJ). This does seem a relatively young age to die
          What that means is that he did his acting well. Kind of like disliking Alan Rickman in Die Hard.

The first place I heard of his death was on my Mopar forum. One of the members was Army and did many years at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds after stints in Germany. He knew the guy and has been friends since 1996.

Comment

So watching that clip again makes me wonder whether that whole sequence was ad-libbed much like much of Robin Williams lines in Good Morning Vietnam. I certainly can't imagine any civilian writer coming up with all those lines in FMJ.
            It was. Ermey was allowed to basically re-write all of Hartman's dialogue.
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

RIP. Man was an icon.

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
                He was a product of his time and place, but he did in fact have a sense of humor about himself, was self-deprecating about it, and the bully thing was more part of his schtick than anything else in his TV/movie career, and the man was a good person at heart.

RIP.
                "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

What that means is that he did his acting well. Kind of like disliking Alan Rickman in Die Hard.

The first place I heard of his death was on my Mopar forum. One of the members was Army and did many years at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds after stints in Germany. He knew the guy and has been friends since 1996.
                  No, not in his roles, outside of movies where he has been playing the role of a conservative political activist with a perpetual outdoor voice.
                  "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

I never really paid any attention or saw any of his political activist stuff. Like literally everything else in life, I don't pay any attention to politics unless it's a matter that concerns or interests me.

People have a tendency to get carried away with their beliefs. There was some woman on the bus the other day ranting about Jesus and the Lord the other day. Just going on and on about it and touching people and talking about how all the truth is in the Bible.

Whatever disagreements some of us may have had with his later political activism, in my opinion, so what, he got some ideas in his head and got a bit carried away. It doesn't erase the fact though that he was a good and honorable man. He served as a good spokesman, and an intelligent and presentable PR guy, who also introduced America to some realism regarding the Corps through his acting and TV career.
                    Last edited by Ironduke; 16 Apr 18,, 19:31.

Comment

BTW - can a mod change the 'Emery' in the title to 'Ermey'? Just noticed it's mispelt.

Comment

The title was a cut and paste and now I don't remember where I got it from since it wasn't the link with the correct spelling.

Comment

The title was a cut and paste and now I don't remember where I got it from since it wasn't the link with the correct spelling.
                          If you edit the original post then 'Go Advanced', you should be able to fix it.

Sad about these tabloid outlets, he was an honorable man, and they're so quick to get the story out to be the first to get clicks and ad revenue, that they don't even bother to spell the man's name right, it's disrespectful of them.

Comment

Created one of the iconic characters in modern cinema. Seemed like a decent guy. RIP.
                            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                              If you edit the original post then 'Go Advanced', you should be able to fix it.

Sad about these tabloid outlets, he was an honorable man, and they're so quick to get the story out to be the first to get clicks and ad revenue, that they don't even bother to spell the man's name right, it's disrespectful of them.
                              Turns out it was the friend, Bob, who posted it on the Mopar C body forum.

For Antimony a quote from Bob about him: "He would never say no to taking a picture or autographing anything with Soldiers, Military Contractors, Government Civilians, or anybody. He really went all out day in and day out to support the military in any way that he could."

Bob says he liked to visit Aberdeen because he liked to shoot the big stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X