No announcement yet.

Gunnery Sergeant R. Lee Ermey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually think his best role was as the small town mayor in Mississippi Burning.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

https://www.duffelblog.com/2018/04/o...ine-actor-pog/

Obituary: R. Lee Ermey, Marine, Actor, POG

SANTA MONICA, Calif. — Marines everywhere were saddened at the death of former Marine and committed POG Staff Sgt. R. Lee Ermey, who passed away earlier this week.

Ermey, a former supply clerk from Marine Wing Support Group 17 and winner of the coveted Meritorious Unit Award, served in the Marine Corps from 1961 to 1972 before starting a second career playing actual infantry Marines.

He had a long and distinguished career, from the Buy Me Drinky bars on Okinawa to the brothels of Manila, to his tour in Vietnam where he served in an elite REMF Wing Wiper unit guarding the chow hall at Da Nang Air Base.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
        He had a long and distinguished career, from the Buy Me Drinky bars on Okinawa to the brothels of Manila
        The man lived life to its fullest.
        Last edited by Ironduke; 23 Apr 18,, 03:42.
        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
          I actually think his best role was as the small town mayor in Mississippi Burning.
          I really liked him in that role. It showed he could play more than just hard-bitten military men. Dead Man Walking did the same.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

He had a long and distinguished career, from the Buy Me Drinky bars on Okinawa to the brothels of Manila
            Not the kind of thing seen in the local newspapers.I don't know if I would call them the brothels of Manila as much as I would call them the Go-go bars of del Pilar and Olongapo. I remember having a fun night in a Go-go bar, in Makati managed by a friend. Marines from Embassy security when in for a night out and Martin (Aussie) was the true host for them.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
              I would call them the Go-go bars of del Pilar and Olongapo.
              A polite euphemism, more socially acceptable to call them that.
              "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Working...
              X