Voter ID Laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voter ID Laws

It's been touched on briefly on other threads, but as a major issue in our political discourse, I think it's very deserving of its own thread.

My opinion: go ahead and pass voter ID laws, but only if two conditions were fulfilled. If a state were to pass a voter ID law, they must:
    1) make IDs free to all persons entitled to have one. Citizenship status and eligibility to vote can be indicated on the card itself.
    2) have vans available for dispatch with ID card making machines that will show up to any residence, anywhere, and make them on the spot. All residents would do is have to schedule an appointment via phone, letter (no cost to mail), online request, or ticking a box on the census form requesting an appointment. The DMV comes to you.

Otherwise, it seems to me to be a 21st Century poll tax, especially given the extraordinarily low level of actual illegal voting.
    Last edited by Ironduke; 11 Apr 18,, 01:30.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Definitely. If one can find voter registration out in front of a supermarket then it should be just as easy to do a voter ID. Anything less is a blatant attempt to discourage voting which is what voter ID is really about. Cough, cough...

Comment

Here's another idea: make it a felony to vote if not eligible, and then don't worry about the handful of cases that are missed.

Oh, that's right.
      That's where we are today . . .

Nevermind.
      Trust me?
      I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
        Anything less is a blatant attempt to discourage voting which is what voter ID is really about.
        For a simple comparison, over here everyone is on the voter register - unless they moved within the last 3 months. And everyone votes with either only their election notification or their national ID card.

If there's something in the US voter registration process that seems utterly alien to me it's the party affiliation, i.e. registering as a Democrat, Republican, Independent etc. To me that defies the basic concept of a - modern - democratic election.

Originally posted by DOR View Post
        Here's another idea: make it a felony to vote if not eligible, and then don't worry about the handful of cases that are missed.
        The Greek way - it's a felony there to not vote if eligible. Or at least it was 20 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
          For a simple comparison, over here everyone is on the voter register -.
          Over where?
          Trust me?
          I'm an economist!

Comment

Over where?
            kato ist ein Deutscher.
            Last edited by Ironduke; 13 Apr 18,, 00:43.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
              The Greek way - it's a felony there to not vote if eligible. Or at least it was 20 years ago.
              That has been the case in Australia for almost a century. Voting is compulsory, even in local council elections. Personally I've always liked that. It seems to mitigate against political extremism, though that could just be us. :-)
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                That has been the case in Australia for almost a century. Voting is compulsory, even in local council elections. Personally I've always liked that. It seems to mitigate against political extremism, though that could just be us. :-)
                To each his own. Personally, I don't feel a person should be compelled by law to vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                  To each his own. Personally, I don't feel a person should be compelled by law to vote.
                  Technically no one is. People just have to get their names ticked off either by attending a polling place or getting a postal vote. Nothing illegal about submitting a blank or spoiled ballot.

From my POV it is a small impost given the value of good government. No worse than taxation.
                  sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

if you want to vote you will find 10-20 bucks for voter id card. i think this is a political tool to fight the idea of voter id. not real issue.

if you are a registered voter, your name will be on the list of registered voters. at the voting station at your voting district, that is how it happens when i vote. any existing gvmnt id is fine to match you name and signature.
                    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

What is the current procedure in the US? If you show up to vote at a polling station, they will have to check your name against the voter list right? How is that done? I am assuming if you haven't registered to vote, you are not allowed to and during voter registration your citizenship status and other eligibility requirements are checked.

I've always wondered why this was such a big deal in the US. Even third world countries where voter fraud is far more common have this stuff mostly figured out.

Comment

Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                        What is the current procedure in the US? If you show up to vote at a polling station, they will have to check your name against the voter list right? How is that done? I am assuming if you haven't registered to vote, you are not allowed to and during voter registration your citizenship status and other eligibility requirements are checked.

I've always wondered why this was such a big deal in the US. Even third world countries where voter fraud is far more common have this stuff mostly figured out.
                        yea pretty much like that , at least where i vote.

because someone in usa wants votes, regardless whose. and will find any reason to interfere with "fraud control" at least that is what it looks like,

but then in USA president is not elected based on peoples votes, not every state makes it mandatory for electors to vote for same candidate population of that state voted for, so that is really irrelevant who votes, other elections peoples votes do matter, or so i'd like to think
                        Last edited by omon; 20 Apr 18,, 20:56.
                        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
                          yea pretty much like that , at least where i vote.
                          So how do they confirm today that you are person listed in the voter list? Driver's license, state id?

Comment

So how do they confirm today that you are person listed in the voter list? Driver's license, state id?
                            yes they ask for id, i give them DL, but passport or any gvmnt id is fine, then they make me sign, and match my signature with the one they have on file. also the way i vote is not only a paper where i check names, it is that, and when i'm done i put it into a scanner and, i assume, it scans my ballot and enters it into database.

but i've heard it is not like that everywhere, some manage to vote more than once. in different districts, and some do not ask for id, and that is in the same city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUDTcxIqqM0
                            Last edited by omon; 20 Apr 18,, 21:59.

Comment

Depends on the state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_..._United_States

Oh, that's right.
                              That's where we are today . . .

Nevermind.
                              Maybe in some states. Not all. Several states have strict photo ID laws. Photo IDs cost money, and in my opinion, there shouldn't be any fees or taxes associated with voting. It's voter suppression as far as I'm concerned.
                              Last edited by Ironduke; 11 Jul 18,, 10:21.

Comment

Working...
                              X