• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bamboo shoots

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
      bamboo shoots
      Close. I call it desi asparagus. Found in Bangladesh, NE India upto West Bengal. It's a delicacy, made with dry fish.
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Ran out of coffee a couple days ago, and have forgotten to buy some more the last couple of days.

Is the solution to this problem to go to a coffeeshop this morning, and buy my cup of coffee?

Nope.

I ran some water through my 5-cup coffee maker, and am drinking cups of tea prepared with 5 bags of black tea.

Add in some whole milk and splenda, problem solved.
        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
          Get rid of the fork and knife and use metal chopsticks instead :) No need for a spoon either. Drink the soup.
          Found a pair of wooden chopsticks.

Right now I'm eating two turkey andouillies, cut into pieces, and smothered in spicy brown mustard.

Because the sausages were cut into small pieces, smothered in sauce, and chopsticks are being used to eat it, this is most definitely German-American-Chinese fusion cuisine.

Also featured: my world-famous pickled baby carrots, chunks of New York sharp white cheddar, hand torn, and mild pepper rings, all courtesy of Aldi. Dessert will be a small bar of 85% Moser Roth dark chocolate. All will be washed down with my equally world-famous bachelor lemonade.

Gordon Ramsay should step aside, I'm going to make my own TV show, and call it... Iron Ramsay. It'll probably be on public access TV to begin with, much like Tom Green and Stuart Smalley originally were, but I'm sure I can make millions if I keep at it. I might even open a chain of restaurants that serve up my increasingly world-famous recipes.

Last edited by Ironduke; 20 May 18,, 16:42.

Comment

Switched it up from the $5 30oz tin of ground coffee from Aldi to the $1 2.82oz jar of instant coffee from my local dollar store.

Cons
            • tastes even worse than the terrible tasting Aldi coffee

Pros
            • much easier to prepare, simply microwave a cup of hot water, add instant coffee, milk, and splenda
            • can take some with me on the go, and make coffee wherever hot water is to be found (I'm sure cold water would work too)
            • less mess, no annoying coffee filters to worry about emptying into the trash
            • don't even have to buy coffee filters at all
            • don't even need a coffee maker anymore either
            • like the terrible tasting Aldi coffee... it still has caffeine

In other Bachelor Cuisine news, I recently had some pain in both of my kidneys. I figured it was due to the excess calcium from my massive dairy intake (~60%+ of my caloric intake), excess sodium from all the processed foods I eat, combined with a bit of dehydration.

Luckily, a cure was found. I got a $4 liter-sized bottle of 100% pure cranberry juice from Aldi, and doubled my intake of Bachelor Lemonade, and the kidney pain was gone.

My food pyramid:

No chips, french fries, soda, breakfast cereals, sugars (except in ice cream), or refined grain products (except as protein delivery devices), etc.

To finish up my post, I've made a recent discovery. Whole milk + instant coffee = caffeine + nutrition = absolutely delicious.

Since milk is 50% cheaper than Mountain Dew in the Midwest, and is roughly equal in price elsewhere, I highly recommend anyone who likes milk to switch from drinking caffeinated sodas to stirring however much instant coffee they like into however much milk they care to drink.

You could even grab a bottled pint of milk on the go, drop instant coffee in, shake it, and voila, you're good to go.

Let the cows turn that corn into milk, instead of having it turned into HFCS, and support America's dairy farmers.
            Last edited by Ironduke; 29 May 18,, 02:44.

Comment

I have to say if your restricted culinary choices are due to a lack of funds, okay.

But if you have the money you owe it to yourself to learn how to cook well and eat good food.

Life's too short to settle for crappy food.
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                Switched it up from the $5 30oz tin of ground coffee from Aldi to the $1 2.82oz jar of instant coffee from my local dollar store.

Cons
                • tastes even worse than the terrible tasting Aldi coffee

Pros
                • much easier to prepare, simply microwave a cup of hot water, add instant coffee, milk, and splenda
                • can take some with me on the go, and make coffee wherever hot water is to be found (I'm sure cold water would work too)
                • less mess, no annoying coffee filters to worry about emptying into the trash
                • don't even have to buy coffee filters at all
                • don't even need a coffee maker anymore either
                • like the terrible tasting Aldi coffee... it still has caffeine

In other Bachelor Cuisine news, I recently had some pain in both of my kidneys. I figured it was due to the excess calcium from my massive dairy intake (~60%+ of my caloric intake), excess sodium from all the processed foods I eat, combined with a bit of dehydration.

Luckily, a cure was found. I got a $4 liter-sized bottle of 100% pure cranberry juice from Aldi, and doubled my intake of Bachelor Lemonade, and the kidney pain was gone.

My food pyramid:

No chips, french fries, soda, breakfast cereals, sugars (except in ice cream), or refined grain products (except as protein delivery devices), etc.

To finish up my post, I've made a recent discovery. Whole milk + instant coffee = caffeine + nutrition = absolutely delicious.

Since milk is 50% cheaper than Mountain Dew in the Midwest, and is roughly equal in price elsewhere, I highly recommend anyone who likes milk to switch from drinking caffeinated sodas to stirring however much instant coffee they like into however much milk they care to drink.

You could even grab a bottled pint of milk on the go, drop instant coffee in, shake it, and voila, you're good to go.

Let the cows turn that corn into milk, instead of having it turned into HFCS, and support America's dairy farmers.
                Things that need to be corrected in your food pyramid:

Meat should replace diary products at the bottom of the pyramid. Red Meat = proteins + cholesterol. YOLO! Beef, goat meat, lamb, pork, duck (pork with wings), pigeon, rabbit, venison etc etc.

Beer should replace Meat in the pyramid. We're bachelors afterall and need to wash away our tears from time to time.

Rest is okay. :D
                Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                  I have to say if your restricted culinary choices are due to a lack of funds, okay.

But if you have the money you owe it to yourself to learn how to cook well and eat good food.

Life's too short to settle for crappy food.
                  I know how to cook quite well, from scratch, and quite healthy. Used to do so when I had such phenomenal, long-forgotten luxuries as stoves, freezers, regular-sized refrigerators, a kitchen sink to rinse and wash things in, and cupboards to store things in.

I have none of these things.

In the gig economy, everything is temporary, unstable, unpredictable, and short-term. I work as an on-call dispatch technician. Trying to live the "American Dream" lifestyle is a big mistake if one has such employment. One has to keep things to the barest of essentials. Even if one could afford all of these luxuries one month, one might not be able to the next month.

I'm sure everybody in New York City, for example, would love to have a full luxurious granite-top kitchen with every amenity. But nope, half the city subsists on 99 cent pizza.

I see humor in the situation, hence the reason for these self-deprecating posts in "Bachelor Cuisine".

To be honest, I wouldn't trade what I've got right now for a $10 million mansion. I prefer this lifestyle. It's a wonderful and beautiful thing to be unburdened by material possessions and a strict schedule, and to have freedom.

Freedom > things, in my book. Even if diet has to suffer a bit for it.
                  Last edited by Ironduke; 29 May 18,, 21:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                    Things that need to be corrected in your food pyramid:

Meat should replace diary products at the bottom of the pyramid. Red Meat = proteins + cholesterol. YOLO! Beef, goat meat, lamb, pork, duck (pork with wings), pigeon, rabbit, venison etc etc.

Beer should replace Meat in the pyramid. We're bachelors afterall and need to wash away our tears from time to time.

Rest is okay. :D
                    Cholesterol is actually a muscle-building naturally occurring steroid. Few people know this, but it's true.

Beer moves to the #2 spot on the pyramid on the weekends. Given my work schedule, a weekend can be any day of the week. I only drink 2 beers a night when I have to be to work the next day, or I have other projects to do that require sobriety.

One of the reasons I consume so much dairy is due to a plethora of injuries to my left leg. I have damage to bone, muscle, cartilage, and ligament from ankle to knee to hip. The injuries to the left leg have caused me to overcompensate with the right, and my right ankle is getting worn out.

Dairy has protein and calcium, and fat-soluble vitamins, and besides the fact that it's delicious, nutritious, and inexpensive, I eat/drink it for medicinal reasons too.

Comment

Since I've spoken so much about Quad Whoppers and McQuads, I thought I'd share a picture of one I concocted at 1am last night.

Bacon McQuad (McDonald's)

Ingredients:
                      2 Bacon McDoubles
                      minus the bottom buns
                      smash them together

not pictured: the Double McChicken I made much the same way, and had just eaten before I took this picture

Nutrition Facts:
                      Protein: 112%
                      Vitamin C: 20%
                      Calcium: 40%
                      Iron: 40%
                      Cholesterol (a muscle-building steroid precursor): 56%
                      Saturated Fat: 100%
                      Fiber: 16%

Not bad.
                      Last edited by Ironduke; 02 Jun 18,, 16:00.

Comment

Big kahuna burger FTW : D

http://www.foodrepublic.com/recipes/...burger-recipe/

Comment

Cholesterol is actually a muscle-building naturally occurring steroid. Few people know this, but it's true.
                          Oh, that's news to me. I thought excess cholesterol causes plaque that causes heart-attacks & strokes.

Beer moves to the #2 spot on the pyramid on the weekends. Given my work schedule, a weekend can be any day of the week. I only drink 2 beers a night when I have to be to work the next day, or I have other projects to do that require sobriety.
                          Indians drink to lose sobriety. :D

Btw, strong or lager? I have stopped drinking beer as it makes me lazy, plus I don't know why even foreign beers brewed in India has a bad after-taste. Another reason why I stopped drinking beers is that there are very few places where we get chilled beer. Feels disgusting to have warm or semi-chilled beers. But, when I do go to a pub, I drink Stella and Corona. Stella (strong) being my favourite. All lagers though and tiny bottles. :(

One of the reasons I consume so much dairy is due to a plethora of injuries to my left leg. I have damage to bone, muscle, cartilage, and ligament from ankle to knee to hip. The injuries to the left leg have caused me to overcompensate with the right, and my right ankle is getting worn out.

Dairy has protein and calcium, and fat-soluble vitamins, and besides the fact that it's delicious, nutritious, and inexpensive, I eat/drink it for medicinal reasons too.
                          Yes, actually everybody should have diary intake in some form everyday. I drink coffee with cow's milk, and clarified butter that's made at home. Apart from that salted butter, cheese sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                            Oh, that's news to me. I thought excess cholesterol causes plaque that causes heart-attacks & strokes.
                            Cholesterols, animal protein, cartilage, and fats gave people, and especially men, strength, muscle mass, and vitality in primitive societies, when life was physically arduous.

Excess cholesterol eaten for one's entire life might kill one at 58, but when lifespans averaged 40-50 years, few lived long enough to experience death from this. Disease or traumatic injury were far more likely causes of death than cholesterol for 99.99% of human history.

It's almost like Alzheimer's. Unheard of until modern medicine pushed lifespans into the 80s and beyond. Almost nobody lived long enough to get most cancers either, until the 20th century.

Alzheimer's, strokes, heart attacks, cancer... all First World problems.

My heavy dairy/meat diet is actually working miracles as we speak on my injured left leg. I've badly injured it four times now in different locations in the last 14 years, my Achilles tendon, a badly torn calf muscle, torn anterior crucial ligament/meniscus, and was also T-boned once by an SUV whilst bicycling, etc.

I've still got a ways to go on my dairy/protein therapy, but I'll cut back on consumption as soon as it's completely healed, then eat more fresh vegetables and fruits.

You are what you eat. If you were to injure your cartilage, for example, eat animal cartilage. Damage your bones, consume dairy. Tear a muscle, eat steak.

If one is sedentary and sits in an office in front of a computer screen all day, sits in front of a computer/TV all day when you get home, and sits in a driver's chair whilst driving everywhere for errands and commuting, never gets injured, and wants to live to 100, eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, or be a vegetarian.

Btw, strong or lager?
                            Lagers, pilsners, India Pale Ale, witbier, etc. I'm not a big fan of stouts or porters, even though they do have B-vitamins and other nutritious stuff in them. It's heavy, like a meal in a glass. If I were hungry, but all I had was a Guinness, I'd drink that for food.
                            Last edited by Ironduke; 03 Jun 18,, 16:39.

Comment

You really need to speak to a nutritionist.

There is no reason for a person to eat dairy after they are a baby.

And this whole must eat meat to repair muscle is way off. You don't need meat , you need foods high in vitamin C. That's what builds protein in your body to repair bones and cartilage. You need to be eating way more fresh green leafy veggies. Spinach, broccoli, fruits, Nuts Fresh fish for the Omega 3s.

McDonalds, milk and beer is a quick way to a short life. Or one full of pain because your injuries didn't heal right.

I've had 4 operations on my knees, broken ribs, broke collarbone among other injuries, had chronic kidney stones and at no time did the Doctor tell me I needed more meat and dairy.
                              And once I cut down on red meat and dairy, ( no more chilli, cheese and Sauerkraut dogs with a cup of coffee for breakfast) and started eating healthier I had less injuries and feel better.

Strokes cancer and Heart Attacks are not "first world problems". People were dying of those way back. But science and medicine wasn't advanced to a point to identify the cause. But we are finding it now

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-arteries.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/02/s...nia-crypt.html

Its not just sedentary people that eat lots of fruit and veggies. (and no I'm not a vegetarian)

http://www.businessinsider.com/elite...d-haye-boxer-5

Comment

Another reason why I stopped drinking beers is that there are very few places where we get chilled beer. Feels disgusting to have warm or semi-chilled beers.
                                Really? I have never had a problem finding cold beer in India. I have had problems finding beer though.

Comment

Working...
                                X