No announcement yet.

Bachelor Cuisine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The above is Ghost pepper. Season is here folks.

Plucked 4 from the plant today morning. Had 70% of 1 for lunch. Will eat the remaining 30% for dinner. Planning to keep the remaining 3 for seeds, will plant next year, around March. The heat is intense, but the scent is awesome. Building immunity. :D

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ghost.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	585.9 KB
ID:	1477616
    Attached Files
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Don't know how 2 pics came into being in the above post.

About a month back, i bought 250gms of this particular chilli (INR 20). I wasn't sure about the heat, so I asked the dude selling it. He said, 'it's like bullet'. I ate one raw (my usual method to check the heat), and found them to be quite good in terms of heat. Washed them, sun-dried them for 1 day to get rid of the moisture, then made 2 varieties of pickles.

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	1477618

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	1477619

1st variety - chilli paste in grinder, then mixed it with mustard oil, indian spices and some vinegar and salt for longevity.

Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	1477621

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	1477622

/\/\/\ This is done, gone, kaput. I ate it with breakfast, lunch and dinner, and had to hear so many comments about getting stomach ulcer. Moms you see. I'm still fit, with an increase in bodily immunity.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Oracle; 17 Nov 18,, 14:59.
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• 2nd variety - whole chilli, slit through the middle, indian spices, mustard oil, salt and vinegar.

Name:	20181117_083646.jpg
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	1477625

Comment

• OK, here is something easy & tasty using frozen potato gems.

*Put a bunch of potato gems on a tray - about one third of a big tray or half a small one.

*Cook in the oven for 10 minutes at the indicated temperature.

*Take out, group the gems in a circle in the middle of the tray and add some toppings. The key ingredient here is shredded 'pizza cheese' from the supermarket. You could just use that, but I like more flavour. I grate some parmesan & sprinkle it on the gems first, then some shredded ham, then the cheese, and finally some chopped salami on top. Bacon bits would work just as well. You could also add spices or dried herbs (an 'italian' mix for instance).

*Back in the oven on the top shelf until the cheese is melted and the salami/bacon bits look a bit crisp. Don't overdo it or some of the gems in the middle might start to disintegrate a bit.

*Slide onto a plate. Done!
          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Free Range Chicken.jpg
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	1477695

Name:	Free Range Chicken Curry.jpg
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	1477698

Yum!
            Last edited by Oracle; 01 Dec 18,, 15:20.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
              Sadly, 16 days later, I'm down to my last package of cheese, and I'm all out of knackwurst. I did give away a package of knackwurst and a container of the cheese to a friend, but I've managed to eat 50 knackwursten (10lbs/4.5kg) and nine 10 oz packages (2.55kg) of gouda and cheddar.

It was delicious, and it went a long way, for just ~$22. I'll always look back fondly at these last 16 days, and it'll be a tale to tell my future cardiologist.

On the other hand, I did manage to cut my milk consumption back from 3 gallons a week to just a half-gallon per week while the cheese lasted, and ate no sour cream, cottage cheese, or yogurt either during that time. That ought to mitigate some of the potential plaque buildup in the arteries.
              I know this is the bachelor's cuisine thread, but do you eat anything that's green?????

We ended up getting a new stove/oven. The last one had some gas leaks in the lines that fed to the actual stove. I was interested in replacing it, but Mrs. GVChamp didn't see the point in repairing a 20 year old appliance, so we got a new one.

Tried some spatchcocked chicken last night. That broiler pumps out a lot of juice compared to the old oven. I'm guessing the old oven also had a gas leak somewhere I couldn't see....

One thing I really like is a 20k BTU front burner. You want coffee in the morning? NP, kettle is ready in about 2 minutes.
              "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                I know this is the bachelor's cuisine thread, but do you eat anything that's green?????
                Didn't have a kitchen at my last place in Minneapolis, and had just a small mini-fridge. Now I've got a kitchen and ample fridge/freezer space. Been eating a lot of chicken stir fry with vegetables for dinner lately. I usually make it with broccoli, green beans, peppers, scallions, and onions. I bring an orange, apple, a couple bananas, and some baby carrots with me to snack on at work.
                "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• So, I got these organic chillies. Chillies make me happy. Makes me awake. Builds my immunity. Dude was selling 1 piece for 2 bucks, bargained for 1 piece for 1 bucks. Got them. Also got some chicken.

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	1478126

Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1478127

Made chicken curry, watery chicken curry. As far as I know, only Bongs make it. That is, use spices, oil and masalas as much you want, but the curry should be super thin. Then sprinkle garam masala powder over it.

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1478128

Yummy!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post

We ended up getting a new stove/oven. The last one had some gas leaks in the lines that fed to the actual stove. I was interested in replacing it, but Mrs. GVChamp didn't see the point in repairing a 20 year old appliance, so we got a new one.

Tried some spatchcocked chicken last night. That broiler pumps out a lot of juice compared to the old oven. I'm guessing the old oven also had a gas leak somewhere I couldn't see....

One thing I really like is a 20k BTU front burner. You want coffee in the morning? NP, kettle is ready in about 2 minutes.
                    You eat greens more, you become a horse! :D
                    Eat meat, and build power.

Comment

• Was on a trip to the City of Joy and beyond for 10 days. Bought bamboo shoots and some other stuff from my native place while coming back.

Name:	Raw Bamboo Shoots.jpg
Size:	494.2 KB
ID:	1478278

Raw bamboo shoots. This much is 10 bucks INR. Will make pork with it.

Another 10 bucks worth, I made it with dry fish. Pic below.

Name:	Bamboo Shoots with Dry Fish.jpg
Size:	664.1 KB
ID:	1478279

The food in Kolkata........is amazing. The street food is to die for. I had amazing Chicken Biryani outside Sealdah Railway Station for 100 bucks. A huge chicken leg piece, that was so tender. I went back again for mutton biryani the next day, a huge piece of mutton with aromatic flavourful biryani rice for just 120 bucks. Had a lot of meat (chicken & mutton), and fishes too. Visited some holy places to buy things for my mom. No, I am still the atheist, but I don't mind doing things for my Mom. Some pics below.

Name:	Ramakrishna Paramhansa.jpg
Size:	589.5 KB
ID:	1478280
                      Ramakrishna Paramhansa @ Dakshineshwar kali Temple

Name:	Swami Vivekananda.jpg
Size:	648.5 KB
ID:	1478281
                      Probably India's world famous monk Swami Vivekananda @ Dakshineshwar kali Temple

Name:	Food Court.jpg
Size:	684.7 KB
ID:	1478282
                      Food Court @ Dakshineshwar kali Temple. Didn't eat there. Only veg food options.
                      Last edited by Oracle; 18 Aug 19,, 04:11.

Comment

• Dakshineswar kali Temple. Built by Rani (Queen) Rashmoni in 1855.

Name:	Dakshineshwar Kali Temple 1.jpg
Size:	758.3 KB
ID:	1478283

Name:	Dakshineshwar Kali Temple 2.jpg
Size:	463.1 KB
ID:	1478284

Name:	Dakshineshwar Kali Temple 3.jpg
Size:	492.0 KB
ID:	1478285

I was never fond of Kolkata. But this time I went with an open mind. What I found was not only yummy food, but fantastic people too. In the media, we only get to hear the worst side of West Bengal. I met many Bengali muslims there, who were not only helpful during my travel there, but was also very eager to help me find me a hotel to spend the night, or help me plan my next destination. Overall, very satisfied. Politics aside, WB gets my vote. And plenty of tourist attractions too. This is a historic old city, and lives up to its name. Some more pic in the next post, and I am done. :D

Comment

• Yeah, yeah I know this is a food thread. But I'm so excited, and a lot of you guys who live abroad probably won't ever visit India, and if you do I don't think Kolkata would be on your itinerary. So just enjoy the pics. The pics below are from Belur Math. I wish I had the time to explore more of Kolkata. Some other time, maybe.

Name:	Belur Math 1.jpg
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	1478286

Name:	Belur Math 2.jpg
Size:	532.1 KB
ID:	1478287

Name:	Belur Math 3.jpg
Size:	623.9 KB
ID:	1478288

Name:	BM.png
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1478289

Comment

• Continuing the discussion with DE on random thread here.

So, I said I bought 3.2 kilo (gross weight) of broiler, ~ 2 kilo (net weight) remained. I cleaned them, cut those into manageable pieces, and marinated 800 gms for 12 hours with the usual Indian spices. This is experiment 1.

Name:	Marinated.jpg
Size:	320.9 KB
ID:	1478683

Don't have the pics of cooked curry, as cousins were invited and I forgot to take the pic.

Result: Leg pieces were soft, but breast pieces were still a little rubbery. Not hard though. I believe rigor ended in the fridge overnight.

Experiment 2

Took another 600 gms out of the freezer, waited for it to defrost, then marinated it with usual Indian spices + raw papaya paste. Yes, cooking channels say to use it with mutton/goat, but I used it with broiler chicken. It was an experiment.

Name:	Marinated 2.jpg
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	1478684

Below is the pic of the cooked curry. Some pieces are missing, as I forgot to take the pic, and ate some for lunch. I used small pieces of raw papaya and potatoes (used generally) in the curry. We love our potatoes in meat curry, as it absorbs the juices and tastes awesome.

Name:	Cooked.jpg
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	1478685

Result: Breast pieces were soft. Satisfied.

Mistake: As shown in the pic, I used raw onions in the marination, but this type of cooking with raw papaya paste meant that meat was already tender, and before the onions were cooked, the meat was done. I should have thought about it earlier. Some meat pieces were starting to shred. So, be careful if this is your first time using raw papaya paste. Fcuk, I should open a food science blog.

How to fix that: Do not use onions in the marination if you use papaya paste. Heat oil, fry onions, and when they turn translucent, and then light brown, drop in the marinated chicken with raw papaya paste. In time, both onions and chicken will be cooked together. For me, it took like 12-15 mins for the meat to get cooked. Onions betrayed me.

I believe, Biryani brands (Behrouz, Paradise, Bawarchi, Mani's, Arsalan & other famous brands) use raw papaya paste while they marinate their broiler chicken, as well as mutton. It's impossible to keep up with the quality otherwise. And to maintain quality, proper planning is required, as well as good logistics.
                            Last edited by Oracle; 18 Mar 20,, 15:39.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                              good logistics.
                              Which may be a bit of a problem at the moment.

I'd have to scavenge through at least three supermarkets just to get some rice at the moment...

(well, at least if i didn't have enough for at least a week worth in meals at home)

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post
                                Which may be a bit of a problem at the moment.

I'd have to scavenge through at least three supermarkets just to get some rice at the moment...

(well, at least if i didn't have enough for at least a week worth in meals at home)
                                Speaking of rice my wife is freaking out. Not for us but for her family in the Philippines. Apparently their lockdown has really confined people to home for one. Two most markets were bought out of everything, by the wealthy especially, for two. Their President has threatened to seize product from those people if he catches a whiff of a black market starting. Then, unlike here, the banks are closed. Where I am LBC is closed so there is no way to send money and the children haven't really eaten in three days since no rice of fish. Needless to say my wife is stressed through the roof about her nephews and nieces. Western Union is available on line here but you need to go and pick up the money there but what is open. Scary thing for the poor over there.

Comment

Working...
                                X