No announcement yet.

Bachelor Cuisine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As for bachelor food, I am havin KD and beer for dinner. Yum yum!

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
      you need foods high in vitamin C. That's what builds protein in your body to repair bones and cartilage. You need to be eating way more fresh green leafy veggies. Spinach, broccoli, fruits, Nuts Fresh fish for the Omega 3s.
      2 liters of lemon juice per week adds up to 540% Vitamin C per day. Plenty of nuts in my diet too.

If you want to buy me a refrigerator to keep the fish and vegetables in, a stove and pans to cook the fish with, and a house to put all these things in, I'll give you payment instructions via PM. I think $150,000 ought to cover it, if you've got that kind of money to throw around. ;-)

Whenever I think someone ought to be doing something, or that they need certain things, I almost always give them the money for it, or purchase the thing and give it to them. I put my money where my mouth is. :-)

Seriously though, I'll be eating my fruits and veg though once I get my 5 cubic foot refrigerator back from where it's being stored. The one I've got, it's either 2 or 3 cu ft. I'll have 7-8 cu ft of refrigerator some time soon.

Originally posted by Pedicabby View Post
      As for bachelor food, I am havin KD and beer for dinner. Yum yum!
      What's KD?
      Last edited by Ironduke; 03 Jun 18,, 19:15.
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
        2 liters of lemon juice per week adds up to 540% Vitamin C per day. Plenty of nuts in my diet too.

If you want to buy me a refrigerator to keep the fish and vegetables in, a stove and pans to cook the fish with, and a house to put all these things in, I'll give you payment instructions via PM. I think $150,000 ought to cover it, if you've got that kind of money to throw around. ;-)

Whenever I think someone ought to be doing something, or that they need certain things, I almost always give them the money for it, or purchase the thing and give it to them. I put my money where my mouth is. :-)

Seriously though, I'll be eating my fruits and veg though once I get my 5 cubic foot refrigerator back from where it's being stored. The one I've got, it's either 2 or 3 cu ft. I'll have 7-8 cu ft of refrigerator some time soon.

What's KD?
        Buy fresh fish/meat and veggies every day. You know, what people did before refrigerators were a common household object. Instead of running to McDs, go to the grocery store and buy what you need for a meal. Leftovers you take for lunch the next day
        A hot plate at wallie-world runs about $12. Get a cheap flat bottom wok. It can be used to fry stuff also deep enough that you can cook pasta in it.

I didn't get married till I was 28. And I know a thing or two about moving often and sudden deployments. Eating good really doesn't take a lot of effort

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
          Buy fresh fish/meat and veggies every day. You know, what people did before refrigerators were a common household object. Instead of running to McDs, go to the grocery store and buy what you need for a meal. Leftovers you take for lunch the next day
          A hot plate at wallie-world runs about $12. Get a cheap flat bottom wok. It can be used to fry stuff also deep enough that you can cook pasta in it.

I didn't get married till I was 28. And I know a thing or two about moving often and sudden deployments. Eating good really doesn't take a lot of effort
          Hot plates are banned by my lease. I only have a microwave. I also sleep in the room I prepare food and eat it in, so if I want fish or seafood I'll get some poached or broiled fish at a Chinese place.

I'm not going to cook fish in my bedroom. I'm sure you don't cook seafood in your bedroom either. ;-)

I eat fresh fruits and vegetables. Bananas, apples, avocados, and tomatoes with salt and pepper on them. Occasionally grapes and strawberries. Baby carrots too. I only buy whole grain bread, and often eat steel cut oats with raisins in it for breakfast.

I don't really eat that poorly. I just play up the bad parts of my diet for amusement. The McDonald's I ate a couple days ago was the first time I'd had fast food in 3 weeks. Other than authentic Mexican tacos that is, served on corn tortillas with some vegetables and even a lime, which are actually semi-healthy.

I walk and bike everywhere for work, errands, and when I go out, so I'm probably consuming and burning 3500 calories most days. There's plenty of room in 3500 calories a day to mostly eat dairy, meat, legumes, and nuts, and still get several servings of fruits and vegetables in.

Strokes cancer and Heart Attacks are not "first world problems". People were dying of those way back. But science and medicine wasn't advanced to a point to identify the cause. But we are finding it now
          Might be a slightly hyperbolic to call it a "First World problem", but what's a greater tragedy, a man dropping dead from a heart attack at age 58, or a child starving to death before he learns how to walk? So it's kind of a "First World problem".

People were historically far more likely to die from starvation, traumatic injury, or disease than they were from problems related to cholesterol. Salt might cause high blood pressure, but it also kept people alive, due to not dying from food poisoning or starving to death because their food rotted before they could eat it.

The elaborate network of cold chains we have in this country and across the world is the major reason we can eat "healthy". Fresh vegetables and fruits were a luxury for most of human history, at least in Europe and other temperate/cold regions. You ate them when they came into season, and preserved them for the other 50 weeks a year with methods that are today considered unhealthy. Same with fish. Fish was more often dried, salted, or preserved in lye than it was eaten fresh.

Cold chains are a First World luxury. Without them, it's mostly back to salting, drying, pickling, canning, etc., except when fresh produce is in season. And one has to have sufficient refrigeration space on their end of the cold chain for many of the foods that arrive to us via the rest of the cold chain from all over the country and the rest of the world.
          Last edited by Ironduke; 04 Jun 18,, 05:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
            Another reason why I stopped drinking beers is that there are very few places where we get chilled beer. Feels disgusting to have warm or semi-chilled beers. But, when I do go to a pub, I drink Stella and Corona. Stella (strong) being my favourite. All lagers though and tiny bottles. :(
            Hard Rock Cafe off of MG Road in Bangalore. That is, if you're in Bangalore, which I'm assuming you are. Western prices though.

If you have access to a clean body of water, and you're out enjoying nature or whatever, there's an old fisherman's trick. Put the beers in a sealed bucket, tie a rope to the handle of the bucket, and lower it to the bottom of the lake, or as far as the rope will let you. When you get thirsty, raise the bucket, take a beer out, and lower the bucket back down.

At least where I live, that chills the beers down to somewhere between 8 and 15 degrees Celsius (45-55F)
            Last edited by Ironduke; 03 Jun 18,, 20:12.

Comment

Lagers, pilsners, India Pale Ale, witbier, etc. I'm not a big fan of stouts or porters, even though they do have B-vitamins and other nutritious stuff in them. It's heavy, like a meal in a glass. If I were hungry, but all I had was a Guinness, I'd drink that for food.
              Don't know about the stuff in bold. I like my beer strong. I tasted Guinness once in London, didn't like the taste, but I'm up for Stella Artois anytime. Stella is like the father of Indian brew Kingfisher. But, nowadays I drink next to nothing of beers.

Originally posted by Pedicabby View Post
              Really? I have never had a problem finding cold beer in India. I have had problems finding beer though.
              Actually I should have been clear. Pubs have chilled beer, many other shops also have those. I am speaking of situations when say for e.g., I have to clean my flat or say a friend dropped in, a chilled beer makes it easy on the bones to clean the house (maid would find reasons not to come once or twice a week). For that purpose I won't go to a pub or to a mall to buy beer. Bangalore is filled with tiny/medium shops that sell alcohol, where they keep beers on the fridge. Some of those fridges are very old, some even rusting to the point where it is beyond a fix. Such shops are in the vicinity of my flat, so naturally I used to go there, buy and drink those warm bad tasting beers.

Problem finding beers in India? Where? You get alcohol even in Gujarat, black ofcourse.
              Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Hard Rock Cafe off of MG Road in Bangalore. That is, if you're in Bangalore, which I'm assuming you are. Western prices though.

If you have access to a clean body of water, and you're out enjoying nature or whatever, there's an old fisherman's trick. Put the beers in a sealed bucket, tie a rope to the handle of the bucket, and lower it to the bottom of the lake, or as far as the rope will let you. When you get thirsty, raise the bucket, take a beer out, and lower the bucket back down.

At least where I live, that chills the beers down to somewhere between 8 and 15 degrees Celsius (45-55F)
                Used to frequent HRC during 2008-10, that is when it opened IIRC. Hip crowd from the call-centres of Bangalore, some college kids and us IT folks. Then it became all about rich college kids and call-centre guys and less IT folks. Legends of Rock was okay too. There was another pub that played hard rock at Jayanagar 4th block, don't remember the name - 2003-04ish was the time. Small but cozy place. Sotally Tober was good too when it opened, then it became crowded, the girls were hot - most of them from the many start-up scene of Koramangala, plus rich college kids. Then beer cafe became my mainstay. Then I stopped going to pubs as finding a companion became tough (friends raising kids and all), then I started drinking warm beer and later stopped it altogether. And no, I'm not in Bangalore right now.

I don't drink weekly now. Whenever I am in the mood, I go out, buy some rum or vodka, gulp down 3 pegs. That's it. Keeps me sober, and I wake the next morning fresh. Gone are those days of heavy drinking.

Your trick about a clean body of water, bucket etc - anybody who drinks have done it atleast once in their lifetime. When I was in school, we had a river run through the jungle. Since it was hilly, the river was shallow, and we would tuck the beer bottles at the side of the boulders/stones in the river. Good trick, though we drank to get high, not for quenching our thirst. :D
                Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Jungle Legend: Monsoon rains are the best time to catch and cook exotic meat {porcupine, wild boar, tortoise, bonroe (some animal like an ant-eater) etc}.

So went hunting with school friends deep in the jungle, with 2 barrel gun, spears and machetes. 3 days worth of walking, sleeping around the fire-place inside makeshift camps, then continuing the journey. Wasn't lucky, until the last night a friend heard some sound while he and another were drinking. It was a rat snake, big and black. They ate it for break-fast the next morning, said it tastes like chicken. I made do with Maggi noodles. Having lived in between civilisation, can't really go back to primal ways or jump so low in the foodchain.

It was a fun outing. I have a regret, now that I am back home. I should have tasted the snake. Everybody said, and repeated, it tastes like chicken. It's not everyday that one gets to taste wild chickens that slides and hisses. :D

Comment

Stella is like the father of Indian brew Kingfisher. But, nowadays I drink next to nothing of beers.
                    I drank quite a bit of Kingfisher lager when I was in Bangalore. The liter-sized bottles. Every night when I was in my hotel room, an Bangalore policeman would knock on my hotel room door and present me a bottle of it in a brown paper bag. I never had to pay for beer when I was in India, except when I went to the Hard Rock Cafe.

Used to frequent HRC during 2008-10, that is when it opened IIRC. Hip crowd from the call-centres of Bangalore, some college kids and us IT folks. Then it became all about rich college kids and call-centre guys and less IT folks.
                    I'd go there with an Aussie I'd run into randomly on MG Road. In a truly foreign country, an American and an Aussie are for all practical purposes fellow countrymen, and we'd wander around the city and do stuff.
                    Last edited by Ironduke; 20 Jun 18,, 01:15.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                      I drank quite a bit of Kingfisher lager when I was in Bangalore. The liter-sized bottles. Every night when I was in my hotel room, an Bangalore policeman would knock on my hotel room door and present me a bottle of it in a brown paper bag. I never had to pay for beer when I was in India, except when I went to the Hard Rock Cafe.

I'd go there with an Aussie I'd run into randomly on MG Road. In a truly foreign country, an American and an Aussie are for all practical purposes fellow countrymen, and we'd wander around the city and do stuff.
                      For 2 days I am trying to think, unable to understand why would Bangalore Police bribe you every night with a bottle of beer?

Btw, that is a 650 ml bottle, not a litre.

Comment

I've had American clients/sometime-expat-colleagues who would request spicy Indian food all the time with a Kingfisher beer, some got invited to Indian weddings and they went in traditional Indian attire. I have to say they cornered all the attention from hot Indian girls. Mostly, my experience have been Americans are risk-takers and game for new things.

Europeans leave the star hotel they are lodged in, for work, in an AC cab. After work, they go back to the star hotel in another AC cab. Sometimes they go out for a beer. :D

Aussies & Brits demand beer as if they're working for Carlsberg. :D

My god, Japanese can drink so much. I almost passed away once drinking with them, God and a cabbie saved me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                          For 2 days I am trying to think, unable to understand why would Bangalore Police bribe you every night with a bottle of beer?

Btw, that is a 650 ml bottle, not a litre.
                          Bin Laden got killed when I was in India. I was the only American in Shivajinagar. I obviously had nothing to do with the operation, but all the sudden I got noticed. I got invited down to have biscuits and chai at the Shivajinagar police station every day, and I'd get rides around town on the back of a police motorcycle. There'd usually be a motorcycle waiting for me in front of my hotel after I woke up, to take me down to meet the local police chief each day.

I didn't care for the attention, so I rented a hotel down on MG Road where there's more foreigners and I wouldn't stand out so much.

Really, I think they were in a celebratory mood and decided to reward the single American they came across.
                          Last edited by Ironduke; 22 Jun 18,, 14:23.

Comment

• Been recently making my own spiced "chai" at home instead of drinking coffee.

Ingredients:
                            12 oz hot water
                            4 bags of black tea
                            some milk
                            two sucralose packets
                            a dash of cinnamon

Plenty of caffeine, probably as much as a strong coffee. Tastes delicious, much better than instant coffee and the terrible tasting coffee from Aldi. The price to make a cup is very reasonable, perhaps $0.15, or even less.

Comment

Bin Laden got killed when I was in India. I was the only American in Shivajinagar. I obviously had nothing to do with the operation, but all the sudden I got noticed. I got invited down to have biscuits and chai at the Shivajinagar police station every day, and I'd get rides around town on the back of a police motorcycle. There'd usually be a motorcycle waiting for me in front of my hotel after I woke up, to take me down to meet the local police chief each day.

I didn't care for the attention, so I rented a hotel down on MG Road where there's more foreigners and I wouldn't stand out so much.

Really, I think they were in a celebratory mood and decided to reward the single American they came across.
                              Shivajinagar? That place is not good for foreigners, particularly an American just when Laden got killed. Anyways, what you mentioned is happiness, that an A who killed innocents got killed in return.

Masala Chai Recipe for you:

#1. Whole milk, i.e. with fats
                              #2. Tea powder, i.e. black tea, tea bags would do too probably
                              #3. Ginger

Preparation:

#1. Heat milk in a vessel (if you want one cup of tea, use 1.5 cups)
                              #2. When milk starts to boil, add crushed ginger in the vessel (careful not to add the crushed ginger in the milk from the start, milk might go bad)
                              #3. Let the milk come to a boil, then let the milk simmer
                              #4. Add 2 tbps of tea powder, or 2 tea bags
                              #5. Let it boil for some more time (the idea is for the milk and ginger to boil together, so that ginger releases its flavour to the milk, and it takes approximately the same time that 1.5 cup takes to reduce to 1 cup)

Your masala chai is ready. Instead of going through all the trouble, you can simply buy ginger powder and add it at the end, like how you add cinnamon. I am old school, plus the ginger that is available here is organic and the best in India. Makes sense to add the extra effort.

If you want black tea, boil water instead of milk, with ginger. Same process, but don't boil the tea too much, else it will be too strong for you to drink. You can also add some pepper for a slight heat in your throat if you have cold, cough or in general a bad throat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                                Shivajinagar? That place is not good for foreigners, particularly an American just when Laden got killed. Anyways, what you mentioned is happiness, that an A who killed innocents got killed in return.
                                I felt perfectly safe the entire time I was there. Lots of touters, scammers, and beggars bothered me at first in other parts of town, several times an hour. I never got bothered by anyone in Shivajinagar even once. They no doubt noticed me, but left me alone. The fact it was the only part of town open for business 24 hours a day was another major reason I started saying there. Given the tropical latitude and how I prefer the coolness of nighttime at that latitude, it was the ideal place to stay.

The only sentiments I ever heard expressed in Shivajinagar, from the Muslim shopowners and other proprietors I briefly spoke to while purchasing things, were happiness over OBL getting killed. They brought the subject up, not me. I never really initiated any conversations with anyone while I was over there, except for an Australian guy I ran into.

A week or so after OBL was killed, I decided getting bothered by touters and beggars in other parts of town was better than getting nightly room service and other "favors" from the police. When a police motorcycle is waiting for you at all hours in the day to intercept you as you leave the hotel, and you don't really have a choice but to go down to the police station and converse with the police chief and whomever else for hours on end, it's time to check out from the hotel in the middle of the night and take a rickshaw back down to MG Road or Indiranagar, where you're just another random Farang of indeterminate nationality.

Don't get me wrong - they were extremely polite, courteous, and respectful, at least overtly. It's very uncomfortable though, to put it mildly, to be the subject of attention when all you want is to go unnoticed and be left alone.

On the subject of cuisine, Shivajinagar is also one of the few parts of town where beef is available. I'd often get a kebab from a street vendor, and share it with a stray pariah dog I kind of adopted for a week or two. The Muslim doorman at the hotel wouldn't let the dog inside, but the dog would wait around the hotel until I came around again, and get another helping of beef kebab. The Muslims in the neighborhood probably thought it odd that I'd pet and feed a pariah dog, but the dog was perfectly well behaved, and probably would have been well-suited toward living with people.

Masala Chai Recipe for you:

#1. Whole milk, i.e. with fats
                                #2. Tea powder, i.e. black tea, tea bags would do too probably
                                #3. Ginger

Preparation:

#1. Heat milk in a vessel (if you want one cup of tea, use 1.5 cups)
                                #2. When milk starts to boil, add crushed ginger in the vessel (careful not to add the crushed ginger in the milk from the start, milk might go bad)
                                #3. Let the milk come to a boil, then let the milk simmer
                                #4. Add 2 tbps of tea powder, or 2 tea bags
                                #5. Let it boil for some more time (the idea is for the milk and ginger to boil together, so that ginger releases its flavour to the milk, and it takes approximately the same time that 1.5 cup takes to reduce to 1 cup)

Your masala chai is ready. Instead of going through all the trouble, you can simply buy ginger powder and add it at the end, like how you add cinnamon. I am old school, plus the ginger that is available here is organic and the best in India. Makes sense to add the extra effort.

If you want black tea, boil water instead of milk, with ginger. Same process, but don't boil the tea too much, else it will be too strong for you to drink. You can also add some pepper for a slight heat in your throat if you have cold, cough or in general a bad throat.
                                Just one thing wrong with that recipe - I don't like ginger. I like gingers, but consuming ginger spice has never sat well with me digestively. Not sure why.
                                Last edited by Ironduke; 28 Jun 18,, 15:29.

Comment

Working...
                                X