Bachelor Cuisine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
    I have nothing to juice lemons with. Nor do I have a kitchen. Nor do I want a juicer. Like the Bunn Coffee Maker - these sorts of things are deadweight to a guy like me. If I bought all these things, I'd have to rent a bigger storage locker here in town when I move to the west coast in a few months. I'm currently trying to sell everything I don't need on Craigslist, not acquire more stuff. :-)

I fill my water bottles from the bathroom sink tap. The lemon juice from Aldi and the Splenda packet makes a perfectly acceptable ersatz lemonade.
    It takes a flat surface to roll the lemon. Cut in half, Then squeeze. You can squeeze it over a spoon to catch the seeds if you like

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
      It takes a flat surface to roll the lemon. Cut in half, Then squeeze. You can squeeze it over a spoon to catch the seeds if you like
      Ok, so I don't have to buy a juicer. But that still means I would have to buy a pitcher. I don't want one. :-)

I just buy liter size Powerade Zeros and that zero-cal sparkling water at Aldi, and re-use the bottles.

My entire kitchen set consists of one coffee cup, which I use for everything, a can opener, four spoons (but I only need one spork), some paper plates, and a Leatherman. I don't need bowls, because stuff you eat in a bowl comes pre-dished in a can.

Once I get the spork situation sorted out, I can throw the spoons in the trash, and my kitchen set will be complete.
      Last edited by Ironduke; 02 May 18,, 00:20.
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Get rid of the fork and knife and use metal chopsticks instead :) No need for a spoon either. Drink the soup.

The powerade bottle can be used as a pitcher.

Comment

Get rid of the fork and knife and use metal chopsticks instead :) No need for a spoon either. Drink the soup.

The powerade bottle can be used as a pitcher.
          How do I eat pork and beans and refried beans with chopsticks?

I don't buy canned soup. I suppose though I can drink the canned peas and canned corn. There's enough water in the can where I can pour from the can directly into my mouth. Might be a few pieces that get stuck to the bottom I can't get at, but no big deal.

I might be able to drink the pork and beans too, I've never tried that, but I'm concerned about the higher viscosity of the pork and beans compared to corn/peas. There might be a whole third of a can of pork and beans that goes to waste because they got stuck to the bottom of the can. I suppose I can kind of dig out the stragglers with the chopsticks though.

I don't have a fork right now. It's one of two reasons I want to get a spork.

Wouldn't I have to get a funnel to funnel the lemon juice into the Powerade bottle? I don't want a funnel. I suppose I can take my Leatherman though, and cut the top off the Powerade bottle. That way I have an extra cup too, if I ever have company over.

To be honest though, I'd just rather suck the lemon, then eat the pulp. I used to do that with limes too.
          Last edited by Ironduke; 02 May 18,, 00:47.

Comment

How do I eat pork and beans and refried beans with chopsticks?
            The same way you eat them with a spoon or fork.
            I don't buy canned soup. I suppose though I can drink the canned peas and canned corn. There's enough water in the can where I can pour from the can directly into my mouth. Might be a few pieces that get stuck to the bottom I can't get at, but no big deal.

I might be able to drink the pork and beans too, I've never tried that, but I'm concerned about the higher viscosity of the canned beans compared to corn/peas.
            You eat the solids with the chopsticks. Pork pieces, beans cut corn all easy to get to with chopsticks.

Just think of chopsticks as long fingers. They are about the only thing I eat with. For some weird reason, the wife makes us use forks when eating spaghetti. All other noodle dishes we use chopsticks.

Not sure why but I noticed the same thing in both Japan and Korea. Forks for spaghetti.

Instead of a funnel, just put the edge of the spoon on the lip of the poweraid bottle

Comment

I know how to use chopsticks. I use them every time I go to the Chinese buffet.

Never thought to use them anywhere else though. It's a good idea.

I'll get a pair at secondhand store down the street. I suppose they'd be easy to travel with too.

Comment

Bachelor Ham and Cheese Sandwich

Ingredients: Ham, Cheese

If Ham > Cheese, the ham is the bread
                If Cheese > Ham, the cheese is the bread

If you need some sort of sandwich spread, cream cheese or sour cream is a perfectly acceptable substitute for mayonnaise.
                __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
                Edit: SITREP on the Ironduke Spork Crisis of 2018. I issued an order over the cables, and a solution is incoming, courtesy of the USPS and eBay.

After hours of searching local discount stores, I finally gave up and ordered one online.

Not having one has bothered me badly, and it was causing me too much undue stress. Once it arrives, I'll once and for all be free of all of the anxiety I was experiencing, that resulted from me not owning this vital tool.

Now I can also avoid cross-contamination from using my Leatherman Surge for everything.

Last edited by Ironduke; 14 May 18,, 07:41.

Comment

Breakfast this morning:

2 Turkey Cheddar Brats, on whole wheat bread, with melted pepperjack cheese, pickle spears and mustard (all from Aldi)
                  1 Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale
                  10 pickled baby carrots (all from Aldi too)
                  1 small bar of Moser Roth 85% Dark Cacao Chocolate

Wish I'd taken a picture.
                  Last edited by Ironduke; 14 May 18,, 22:49.

Comment

I know how to use chopsticks. I use them every time I go to the Chinese buffet.

Never thought to use them anywhere else though. It's a good idea.

I'll get a pair at secondhand store down the street. I suppose they'd be easy to travel with too.
                    Chopsticks are the best device for getting toast out of the toaster.
                    Trust me?
                    I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
                      Chopsticks are the best device for getting toast out of the toaster.
                      IDK, sticking metal chopsticks in a toaster doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Maybe I'll get the wife to try it:)

Comment

IDK, sticking metal chopsticks in a toaster doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Maybe I'll get the wife to try it:)
                        I never use metal ones. Wood's fine, as long as they're sterilized.
                        Trust me?
                        I'm an economist!

Comment

Bachelor Chili

1 can of chili beans in chili sauce
                          1 turkey cheddar bratwurst, torn by hand into bite size chunks
                          1 slice of pepperjack cheese on top
                          1 Taco Bell Fire sauce packet
                          1 Taco Bell Diablo sauce packet

Microwave for 2-3 minutes.

After microwaving:

3 heavy dollops of Louisiana Hot Sauce
                          1 huge dollop of sour cream

Enjoy.
                          Last edited by Ironduke; 16 May 18,, 02:32.

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
                            I never use metal ones. Wood's fine, as long as they're sterilized.
                            Depends on what I'm eating. Flat metal Korean chopsticks are great for separating foods like kimchee or Kalbi into bite size pieces. Most of the time its Japanese style/length wooden ones though

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 00.16.39.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	1476509

This is what happens when you add lemon to warm milk. Indians have been using this technique for centuries to make Cottage Cheese. My mom uses alum, I use lemon. The end-product is the same. I don't like paneer=cottage cheese though. It's got no taste of its own. Bland.
                              Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Identify the item...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 00.23.39.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	1476510
                                Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Working...
                                X