Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
    Incoming.

Recipe:

Aldi's Whole Wheat Bread: 2 slices
    Tomato Sauce: 4 oz
    Pork and Beans: 1/2 can
    Hot Sauce: Several generous dollops
    2 slices of bologna
    1 slice of American process cheese, torn into chunks for a lower calorie option (instead of two slices, helps keep the recipe low-fat/low-cholesterol)

Plus: the recommended amount of daily vegetables a la the Bachelor's Food Pyramid: 1 pickled baby carrot.

edit: just finished eating it. now i got to drink a litre of water to wash out the sodium/MSG
    Looks yummy. Never knew pork and bean come together in 1 can. I am guessing the cheese to be cheddar? Hot sauce is tabasco?

Talking about white rice, here is white rice and spicy chicken semi-gravy i.e., gravy without adding even a drop of water. Chicken has pieces of potatoes in it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chicken Fry 1.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	443.6 KB
ID:	1476394

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chicken Fry2.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	587.6 KB
ID:	1476395
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
      Looks yummy. Never knew pork and bean come together in 1 can. I am guessing the cheese to be cheddar? Hot sauce is tabasco?

Talking about white rice, here is white rice and spicy chicken semi-gravy i.e., gravy without adding even a drop of water. Chicken has pieces of potatoes in it.
      Decades ago, there used to be big chunks of pork in the can of pork and beans. Now it's just a little chunk of porkfat, or a few little chunks. Not much at all.

The hot sauce is actually Louisiana Hot Sauce. Tastes different, much less hot, less concentrated.

American process cheese is an industrially concocted creation. Made out of milk, whey, and perhaps some cheddar cheese powder among other ingredients. It's the classic cheese used on the American cheeseburger. It comes pre-sliced, either in individually wrapped plastic sheets, or large slabs with 100s of slices.

What you got there looks pretty good... when I was in Bangalore I was eating great stuff all the time, curries, table service where you're brought whatever you want and it's served on a plantain leaf, etc. Eventually though, I switched to a very bland diet of rotis, deep-fried foods, biscuits, McDonald's etc. The real Indian food was great, but consuming too much of radically different foods than what I was accustomed to eating for however many years, threw me for a loop.

I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that in the Western diet, "complementary" flavors are used in cooking, while in Indian/Eastern cuisine, there is a preference for strongly contrasting flavors to be used. When one suddenly and abruptly eats too much of something different than what they're used to, the body is thrown into shock. I'm sure Indian travelers to the West experience this same phenomenon.
      Last edited by Ironduke; 26 Apr 18,, 12:16.
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
        Most of us need gravy alongwith it, unless it's sticky rice or basmati rice.
        Which is a relative thing. If i absolutely have nothing else in the house i get the rice cooker going and whip up some sauce from a can of tomatoes and maybe some onions and a pretty hefty dose of spices. Depending on mood browned with a good helping of ketjap manis (indonesian soy sauce flavored syrup*) that counters the acidity of the tomatos, and if i have them around i might want to whip in some pre-boiled potatoes to give it more substance. Also works surprisingly well as a cold medicine with half a pound of ginger replacing the potatoes...

* My father got me into that. He added indonesian recipes to his cuisine as a bachelor back sometime in the early 60s, and employed them as a staple at family sunday dinners.

Comment

Search for maggi noodles
          You don't need anything else

Comment

Noodles is for teenagers. A German friend introduced me to something faster, more nutritious and no need for fire.

A bar of chocolate

A can of tuna

Scoop out tuna with bits of chocolate

Done

You can pull off an all nighter with just that

Some bread or dry fruits optional
            Last edited by Double Edge; 26 Apr 18,, 12:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
              Some bread or dry fruits optional
              Canned fish between two pieces of sandwich bread. Both obtainable in any supermarket in Germany and a pocket knife for scooping the fish onto the bread and spreading it a bit is all you need.

Personally like mackerel in tomato sauce cans for that. Which reminds me... *checks cupboard* ah, still good till August and October respectively.
              Last edited by kato; 26 Apr 18,, 16:44.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
                Personally like mackerel in tomato sauce cans for that. Which reminds me... *checks cupboard* ah, still good till August and October respectively.
                We got that at the Aldi here in the US. I've never developed a taste for strongly flavored seafood though, probably due to food poisoning from eating improperly cooked catfish at a young age. The tomato sauce/hot sauce would, I think, make it more palatable though. There's also a ton of healthy omega fatty acids in them. I might try to see if I can develop a taste for this type of stuff. I do eat tuna fairly regularly, and whitefish, lobster, shrimp, and crab on occasion when eating out.

Needless to say, those oily fish are the kind of stuff you eat at home. Then open the windows and pop in a piece of mint gum afterward.

Speaking of Aldi, I think I'm going to start making braunschweiger sandwiches with mustard, cheese, and onion again soon. There's actually a fairly decent selection of select imported German foods there. I'm a big fan of the mustards, the heavy pumpernickel/whole grain rye loaves, jaffa cakes, and some other stuff. Es schmeckt mir gut.
                Last edited by Ironduke; 27 Apr 18,, 14:04.

Comment

Just invented what I've decided to call a "Bachelor Roll-up". I took my inspiration from the food called Fruit Roll-Ups.

Ingredients

1 slice of bologna (laid flat) [or any other type of thin sliced deli/sandwich meat you have on hand)
                  1 slice of American cheese [or any type of sliced cheese you have available]
                  1/2 of a beef stick

Simply place the sliced cheese on top of the sliced meat, then roll it around half of a beef stick, and voila, you've made yourself a Bachelor Roll-Up.

Comment

I sometimes do that with pickles instead of the beef stick.

Comment

Canned fish between two pieces of sandwich bread. Both obtainable in any supermarket in Germany and a pocket knife for scooping the fish onto the bread and spreading it a bit is all you need.

I don't get too much choice of fish in India, but fried mackerel is a favourite. Coated with a chili marinade. On the coast they sell them like that on the road.

Tuna with oil packs in more calories than in brine. Flavoured is up to you. Non flavoured can be mixed with mayo for yet more calories

In germany there are heavy breads. This bread is considered well made if you can kill someone by throwing a loaf at them.

I wish i could make this bread because nobody sells it in India. This is the best most nutritious bread i've ever had.

Until such time kerela parathas do the job. To difficult to make. I order in.

Or chappatis. Can make those.
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 28 Apr 18,, 12:53.

Comment

I sometimes do that with pickles instead of the beef stick.
                        We do that in the part of the US where I'm from.

Thinly sliced ham, spread cream cheese (Frischkase, I suppose is the German equivalent) on the ham, wrap it around a pickle.

Cut the resulting creation into one inch tall pieces, put a toothpick in, and serve as hor d'ouevres.

It's probably a tradition that came from Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                          It's probably a tradition that came from Germany.
                          The traditional version in Germany is to just wrap up Asparagus in ham. No cheese, and not cut down. As finger food for parties became an in thing in the 50s, but apparently existed before that too.

Nowadays ham wraps as hors d'ouevres - or as part of a salad - exist with about every quirky filling you can imagine over here. The version with cream cheese you describe only really came up around here with the lowcarb movement in recent years, and was probably (re)imported from the US. The more traditional "binders" in Germany are mayonnaise (that's the 50s thing) or horseradish (mostly in the South, seems an Austrian invention).

Comment

Bachelor Lemonade:

1 empty Powerade/Gatorade bottle
                            30 oz of cold tap water
                            2 oz lemon juice, from the 1L bottle that can be bought at Aldi
                            Splenda packet (alternate sweetener/number of packets, to taste)

Shake a little bit. Put it in the fridge, then take it with you when you're on the go.

Cost: ~5 or 10 cents.
                            Last edited by Ironduke; 01 May 18,, 20:07.

Comment

It only takes about 15 min to make a 1/2 gal of fresh lemonade. And it taste a whole lot better. Plus better for you

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                                It only takes about 15 min to make a 1/2 gal of fresh lemonade. And it taste a whole lot better. Plus better for you
                                I have nothing to juice lemons with. Nor do I have a kitchen. Nor do I want a juicer. Like the Bunn Coffee Maker - these sorts of things are deadweight to a guy like me. If I bought all these things, I'd have to rent a bigger storage locker here in town when I move to the west coast in a few months. I'm currently trying to sell everything I don't need on Craigslist, not acquire more stuff. :-)

I fill my water bottles from the bathroom sink tap. The lemon juice from Aldi and the Splenda packet makes a perfectly acceptable ersatz lemonade.
                                Last edited by Ironduke; 01 May 18,, 23:07.

Comment

Working...
                                X