No announcement yet.

Bachelor Cuisine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parboiled rice is good too. Uncle Ben's or the generics. Much lower GI hit than white rice. I've heard that brown rice actually does have some "anti-nutrients", in that there's some compounds that interfere with the uptake of nutrients in other foods.

With parboiling, the kernel actually gets infused with many of the nutrients that are found in the bran. You don't get the fiber when you eat parboiled rice, but for people who don't care for brown rice, parboiled is a good substitute.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
      Throw a chopped up onion or two into a pot of water and put it on to boil.
      The amount of water is double the amount of rice you put in once the water is boiling.
      When the rice has almost absorbed all the water, poke 4-6 (per person) long-ish bits of vegetable into it.

Several advantages.
      First, the onion gives even plain white rice a great taste.
      Second, if you're sticking long-stemmed brocolli into the rice, the stems with cook more than the tops.
      Third, you've got your veggies and starch cooked in one pan, so easy clean-up.
      Fourth, if you're really lazy, throw some leftover chicken or whatever on top of the rice, to steam.
      Almost sounds like jook which my friends and I would eat at 2:00 am, in Chinatown, after a long night out in San Francisco.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
        Parboiled rice is good too. Uncle Ben's or the generics. Much lower GI hit than white rice. I've heard that brown rice actually does have some "anti-nutrients", in that there's some compounds that interfere with the uptake of nutrients in other foods.

With parboiling, the kernel actually gets infused with many of the nutrients that are found in the bran. You don't get the fiber when you eat parboiled rice, but for people who don't care for brown rice, parboiled is a good substitute.
        Ahhhh, thanks for the info! Didn't even know a product like that existed. Never seen it in the stores. Guess that's what I get for shopping at freakin' Jewel....
        "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

French press coffee is good, but can be a bit of a pain as far as labor goes. I picked up the French press habit from a former roommate, and I'd do 8 o'clock coffee, but I'm back to drip coffee and the terrible tasting,
          Get you a Bunn coffee maker. The key to great coffee is a consistent water temp going through the grounds. The home version of what every restaurant in the US uses. I've had one in the house since 1987. Gunnies know good coffee

Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	1476303
          Last edited by Gun Grape; 07 Apr 18,, 21:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
            Get you a Bunn coffee maker. The key to great coffee is a consistent water temp going through the grounds. The ho,e version of what every restaurant in the US uses. I've had one in the house since 1987. Gunnies know good coffee

[ATTACH]45718[/ATTACH]
            I use just a little tiny 5 cup drip maker. Goodwill, $5. I can throw/give it away if I need to, and pick up the same thing in another city for $5.

I'm a traveling IT guy who's prepared to uproot and follow the proverbial herd as far as where the work is, and for that reason I keep personal possessions to an absolute bare minimum. A coffee maker like that is a luxury I can't afford, as stuff like that and other luxuries are a waste of money, and hampers my mobility. I have four spoons, and for me, that's three spoons too many. I'm tempted to throw them out and get a spork. Just one spork.
            Last edited by Ironduke; 08 Apr 18,, 02:29.

Comment

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
              Ahhhh, thanks for the info! Didn't even know a product like that existed. Never seen it in the stores. Guess that's what I get for shopping at freakin' Jewel....
              Parboiled rice actually solved a lot of historical malnutrition problems in the American South in the late 19th/early 20th century. Before that it was white rice without nutrients, and there were a host of epidemic B vitamin deficiency diseases prior to its invention. Corn is likewise empty starch calories, unless it's nixtalized.

Parboiling would actually be a massive boon to the nutritional profile of people living in East Asia, India, etc., but they love their white rice there. I think about 80% of the nutrients found in the bran, minus the fiber, make their way into the endosperm during the parboiling process.

Comment

I just learned a valuable lesson... something I actually already knew but hadn't given thought to before doing it.

Take lemon juice with your tea. Or take milk. But not both. It should had been obvious to me before I did it, but I now have cheese tea.

edit: yes, I drank the whole cup anyways.
                Last edited by Ironduke; 10 Apr 18,, 06:18.

Comment

I use just a little tiny 5 cup drip maker. Goodwill, $5. I can throw/give it away if I need to, and pick up the same thing in another city for $5.

I'm a traveling IT guy who's prepared to uproot and follow the proverbial herd as far as where the work is, and for that reason I keep personal possessions to an absolute bare minimum. A coffee maker like that is a luxury I can't afford, as stuff like that and other luxuries are a waste of money, and hampers my mobility. I have four spoons, and for me, that's three spoons too many. I'm tempted to throw them out and get a spork. Just one spork.
                  I have two purpose-built funnels, one large and one small (travel-size). When I'm on the road, I stick a handful of filter paper into one ziplock bag and ground coffee in another. That means there's good coffee in every hotel room that can heat water.
                  Trust me?
                  I'm an economist!

Comment

That's a pretty good idea. I personally travel with packets of tea and splenda packets if I need a late afternoon/evening boost. I've never considered traveling with coffee, though I'd probably do instant coffee packets if I did, to save on space, even if it tastes terrible.

Another recent discovery. Instant pudding mix + milk, drink it before it sets into pudding. Pretty much got one of those smoothie/shake drinks. Also, instant pudding + coffee + milk = coffee pudding.
                    Last edited by Ironduke; 10 Apr 18,, 09:42.

Comment

I just learned a valuable lesson... something I actually already knew but hadn't given thought to before doing it.

Take lemon juice with your tea. Or take milk. But not both. It should had been obvious to me before I did it, but I now have cheese tea.

edit: yes, I drank the whole cup anyways.
                      Yeah, that story is not going to end well. That'd be going right into the trash.
                      "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Last decade, back during my college days, one night I came home from work and all I had to eat was rice. Just plain white rice.

I cooked it up on the stove, and 20 minutes later I doused that big bowl o'rice in Kikkoman soy sauce while browsing the WAB.

When I was down to the last few bites, I saw little black things in my rice. I thought to myself, "hmm, I don't remember putting any herbs or spices in the rice."

I looked a little more closely at the black speck. Sure enough, it was an ant. Went back and looked at the bag of rice, and it was swarming with ants.

And I thought, "eh, whatever. Some protein to go along with those carbohydrates."
                        Last edited by Ironduke; 11 Apr 18,, 13:53.

Comment

And that's why all my grains are in those nice Oxo containers!

Comment

Some of my fast food tips and tricks....

Back when McDoubles were only $1, I used to buy two of them, peel off the bottom buns (where there's no messy ketchup, mustard, etc.), then mash them together to make a $2 Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese. It's the same exact amount of meat, but a little less cheese, for half the price. And it's lower carb as you're dealing with less bun if you throw away the bottom buns.

When they've got those 2/$2 specials on the straight two-slice of cheese Double Cheeseburgers, that's when you've got it made. You got yourself a Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese Deluxe Royale, but lower carb due to the smaller bun footprint.

You can do the same with a McChicken and a McDouble too, if you want a beef/chicken sandwich. Peel off the bottom buns, mash the two together.

Burger King often has 2/$5 etc. coupons for their big sandwiches. Get the Double Whopper, peel off the bottom buns, mash them together, and you got yourself a Quad Whopper. Or you can mix two different types of Whoppers together. Also lower carb because you're throwing out the bottom part of the buns.

Do you love Taco Bell but hate how it slops all over the place when you're driving? They'll grill any burrito, just ask, so instead of a sloppy, floppy burrito dripping all over your clothes and car upholstery, you got something solid to eat, and there's no mess. Actually, ordering all items grilled no matter whether you're sitting down, driving, taking it out - it makes it taste better and you might save yourself hundreds of dollars in avoiding ruined clothes, which otherwise would have been caused by Taco Bell slopping all over your clothes.

Subway... you gotta get your vegetables. Order a $5 or $6 sub with lean cuts of meat, and when they put all the vegetables you want on it, do a second round, and request they put all of those vegetables on again. Keep asking for more vegetables until they refuse. You can potentially get 2-3 pounds of vegetables on a $6 sub.
                            Last edited by Ironduke; 14 Apr 18,, 00:48.

Comment

IIRC, brown rice digests slowly because they are not dehusked. So the release of sugar into the system is slowed down, which is good if you sugar intake is high already. Also recommened for people with diabetes. This is more or less why our ancestors preferred refined staples, such as white rice or white bread, since they engaged in strenuous physical activity and are strapped for energy.

My college diet? Hot dogs, krauts and buns. Or pasta with sausage. With orange juice. Or a stir fry of vegetables and meat on rice. For anyone bothering to critique my diet, I told them my meals represent all the nutrition groups in the chart. The ratio might be a little off...
                              Last edited by Triple C; 17 Apr 18,, 05:47.
                              All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                              -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

I also used to cook up 5-6 eggs at a time, sunny side up, then just go to town with organic whole grain/specialty loafs I got at an upscale grocery after 8pm for half price. Also used to go to town dipping hamburger steak and ham in those egg yolks, before I switched to the bread.
                                Next time I go to the steakhouse....

Waiter: What type of sauce would you like to go with your porterhouse, sir? We have Heinz 57 and A1.
                                Me: A hooker of egg yolk, please. Gently heated, not fried.
                                Last edited by Ironduke; 23 Apr 18,, 14:30.

Comment

Working...
                                X