Congress and the Trump administration delivers huge increase in science funding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astralis View Post
    you're correct, but not because the administration was actually fighting FOR science funding.

it's just that they didn't -care enough- about the extra spending to fight AGAINST it...at this point in time. remember, Trump was threatening to veto the spending bill, and said that this was the last one of the sort he would sign. he only did it because Mattis was making a personal plea for military spending stability.

so here's hoping that the administration gets rolled like this again and again, because that's the only way science is going to get funded.
    Asty, you actually believe Trump's dog and pony show?

You guys are making it too easy for him. At this rate he's riding for four more years and the most consequential presidency since Reagan.

Comment

i never believed Bush was stupid-- it was a show, and a pretty obvious one at that.

Trump is Trump. as many people point out, he's the same in private as he is to the wide world.

he got rolled, because he doesn't care about policy, he gets his info from Fox & Friends, and he generally repeats the words of whomever talked to him last.
      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
        i never believed Bush was stupid-- it was a show, and a pretty obvious one at that.

Trump is Trump. as many people point out, he's the same in private as he is to the wide world.

he got rolled, because he doesn't care about policy, he gets his info from Fox & Friends, and he generally repeats the words of whomever talked to him last.
        Actually Dubya wasn't putting on a show and he wasn't stupid. That's just his minimal functioning mode when sleep deprived.

You're choosing what you want to believe with Trump. You KNOW that he's a liar and yet he can still deceive you by playing to your expectations and prejudices.

He repeats the last person because that gives away nothing. He's the same in private as in public because he knows he's never in private.

One of the earliest people to predict Trump's rise was Pat Nixon:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...-29-years-ago/

She was able to make the prediction 30 years ago because she saw in him something intimately familiar to her after decades by the side of Richard Nixon.

Comment

Originally posted by citanon;1038362 [B
          At this rate he's riding for four more years and the most consequential presidency since Reagan[/B].
          This belongs on a T-shirt. Maybe X-Large. Is it copyrighted at this time?

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
            This belongs on a T-shirt. Maybe X-Large. Is it copyrighted at this time?
            XXXL, it needs to be Yuge!

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
              DOR, if the butt hurt was any more palpable, you'd have to apply hemorrhoid cream.

For context, total Federal R&D spending will rise by $20.1 billion out of a total domestic spending increase of $52 (if the accounting is correct).

Other big winners include senior services:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/howardg.../#7aec96c22f47
              Any sign of a fiscally responsible GOPer in the House?
              Trust me?
              I'm an economist!

Comment

meh, "fiscally responsible", when was the last time you saw the GOP be "fiscally responsible"?

first Bush was the only one who dared walk the walk and he paid a price for it. before that you'd have to go back to what, Eisenhower?

the ridiculousness of this is rather from the idea that Trump is somehow this 4D-Chessmaster who is secretly pro-science funding, so in an act of sheer political jujitsu mastery, came out against the funding in a "dog and pony show" to lull Congressional Republicans and "bait" Dems into voting for more funding. that's some serious kool-aid right there, lol.
                Last edited by astralis; 31 Mar 18,, 20:44.
                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
                  Asty, you actually believe Trump's dog and pony show?

You guys are making it too easy for him. At this rate he's riding for four more years and the most consequential presidency since Reagan.
                  As long as it continues to tear apart Conservatives and the GOP while accomplishing nothing else, I am a-OK with that. Trump WILL go away at the end. The damage to GOP will remain. Actually, I might prefer it for that reason alone.
                  "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Populism may be on the rise as there seems to be no established difference between the extant parties. You may disagree but, it seems to me that the effort to keep campaign promises is robust.

Comment

Good Day, Good man. May I ask for you to expand your post with reasoning and examples?
                      Chimo

Comment

Well WABs_OOE - The congress is being referred to as the uniparty and the campaign promises have been attempted but continue to be shot down by the American Jurocracy. Populism is being touted and many agree that Trump is not a traditional conservative. Trumps appointees are being slow walked by the opposition party and the supposed party of the president renege on their own campaign promises - to whit, the affordable care act. What say you??

Comment

Originally posted by XLAdept View Post
                          What say you??
                          I'm not in a position to say anything as I am Canadian and thus no place to say in your society. I will, however, debate the logic if presented. As it is, I'm not familiar enough with your line of reasoning to have a conclusion. I'm just curious as to what you mean by your post and see if there is some insight I can gleamed. Atlas, I find myself out of my depth.
                          Chimo

Comment

I respect the opinion of Canadians - three of of grandparents were Canadian. Not so out of your depth, I suspect.

Comment

But incumbents had a higher re-election rate than average for 2016, so there's not much indication this has manifested into an actual voter revolt.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...verage_in_2016
                              "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

@ GVChamp:

Yeah, but their perfidy is blatantly obvious in this new administration.

Comment

Working...
                                X