FBI arrests would-be military/CIA bomber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBI arrests would-be military/CIA bomber

It'll be interesting to see what this guy's motives were as the story develops. I'm glad our members here that work out there are safe. This uptick in domestic terrorism is, I have to say, a disturbing trend.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...ted-fbi-487925
    FBI arrests Seattle-area man over suspicious packages sent to military facilities

The FBI said Tuesday it had arrested a Seattle-area man suspected of sending multiple suspicious packages to government facilities.

Thanh Cong Phan, 43, was taken into custody Monday at his Everett, Washington, home, the FBI said. Authorities believe he sent packages containing potentially “destructive devices” to at least five government locations in Virginia and Washington, D.C.

The locations include Joint Base Anacostia–Bolling and Fort Lesley J. McNair, in Washington, D.C.; and the Naval Surface Warfare Center, Fort Belvoir and the CIA in Virginia.

No one was injured by the packages.

The joint investigation with the U.S. Postal Service is ongoing, and the FBI said it is possible more packages were mailed and have yet to be intercepted.

The FBI advised the public to “remain vigilant and not touch, move or handle any suspicious or unknown packages.”
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Phan had a history of writing crank letters to the military, and rambling notes included in the packages immediately fingered him as a suspect
    Wow...a real rocket scientist here. I'd say he's a few cans short of a six-pack.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
    X