Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Deadhand: Putin's Nuclear-Powered Cruise Missile

Senior Contributor
    Sorry I just do not believe in these wonder weapons.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry View Post

I don't know exactly how it targets nor if plazma has wholes, but the weapon was tested on towed ships. So it works.
    Do you have a source that this was tested on a ship target? Also if it was a static target, that isn't much of a test. That only indicates it can accurate hit a target using GPS. Some kind of terminal guidance, or else terminal target update, would be required for a sea borne target.

EDIT TO ADD: DF-21 was also 'tested' the same way: it was fired at site with known coordinates in the desert. It has never been tested on a moving target at sea.
    Last edited by Josh; 05 Jul 18, at 19:55.

Defense Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Do you have a source that this was tested on a ship target? Also if it was a static target, that isn't much of a test. That only indicates it can accurate hit a target using GPS. Some kind of terminal guidance, or else terminal target update, would be required for a sea borne target.

EDIT TO ADD: DF-21 was also 'tested' the same way: it was fired at site with known coordinates in the desert. It has never been tested on a moving target at sea.
    Hi Josh, my statement about a "towed" target is now under doubt.... I wanted to give you a supporting link, went to a russian forum where I read about towed ship, but the guy gave only a link to a well known video where it is not clear if kinzhal hit a moving or static ship. So "moving or static" is unclear at this point of time

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry View Post
    Hi Josh, my statement about a "towed" target is now under doubt.... I wanted to give you a supporting link, went to a russian forum where I read about towed ship, but the guy gave only a link to a well known video where it is not clear if kinzhal hit a moving or static ship. So "moving or static" is unclear at this point of time
    I believe I heard of a static test against a barge, though I can no longer even find a link or source for that either.

Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    It's widely believed that the Russian missile accident involved this nuclear-powered cruise missile, was the 9M730 Burevestnik (NATO reporting name: SSC-X-9 Skyfall).

This is one of the "Wunderwaffen" unveiled by Putin in April 2018.

Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-r...-idUSKCN1UZ2H5
    U.S.-based experts suspect Russia blast involved nuclear-powered missile

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S.-based nuclear experts said on Friday they suspected an accidental blast and radiation release in northern Russia this week occurred during the testing of a nuclear-powered cruise missile vaunted by President Vladimir Putin last year.

The Russian Ministry of Defense, quoted by state-run news outlets, said that two people died and six were injured on Thursday in an explosion of what it called a liquid propellant rocket engine. No dangerous substances were released, it said. Russia’s state nuclear agency Rosatom said early on Saturday that five of its staff members died.

A spokeswoman for Severodvinsk, a city of 185,000 near the test site in the Arkhangelsk region, was quoted in a statement on the municipal website as saying that a “short-term” spike in background radiation was recorded at noon Thursday. The statement was not on the site on Friday.

The Russian Embassy did not immediately respond for comment.

Two experts said in separate interviews with Reuters that a liquid rocket propellant explosion would not release radiation.

They said that they suspected the explosion and the radiation release resulted from a mishap during the testing of a nuclear-powered cruise missile at a facility outside the village of Nyonoksa.

“Liquid fuel missile engines exploding do not give off radiation, and we know that the Russians are working on some kind of nuclear propulsion for a cruise missile,” said Ankit Panda, an adjunct senior fellow with the Federation of American Scientists.

Russia calls the missile the 9M730 Buresvestnik. The NATO alliance has designated it the SSC-X-9 Skyfall.
    Last edited by Ironduke; 10 Aug 19, at 16:09.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Thread Information