No announcement yet.

The Deadhand: Putin's Nuclear-Powered Cruise Missile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry I just do not believe in these wonder weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by Garry View Post

I don't know exactly how it targets nor if plazma has wholes, but the weapon was tested on towed ships. So it works.
      Do you have a source that this was tested on a ship target? Also if it was a static target, that isn't much of a test. That only indicates it can accurate hit a target using GPS. Some kind of terminal guidance, or else terminal target update, would be required for a sea borne target.

EDIT TO ADD: DF-21 was also 'tested' the same way: it was fired at site with known coordinates in the desert. It has never been tested on a moving target at sea.
      Last edited by Josh; 05 Jul 18,, 19:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
        Do you have a source that this was tested on a ship target? Also if it was a static target, that isn't much of a test. That only indicates it can accurate hit a target using GPS. Some kind of terminal guidance, or else terminal target update, would be required for a sea borne target.

EDIT TO ADD: DF-21 was also 'tested' the same way: it was fired at site with known coordinates in the desert. It has never been tested on a moving target at sea.
        Hi Josh, my statement about a "towed" target is now under doubt.... I wanted to give you a supporting link, went to a russian forum where I read about towed ship, but the guy gave only a link to a well known video where it is not clear if kinzhal hit a moving or static ship. So "moving or static" is unclear at this point of time

Comment

Originally posted by Garry View Post
          Hi Josh, my statement about a "towed" target is now under doubt.... I wanted to give you a supporting link, went to a russian forum where I read about towed ship, but the guy gave only a link to a well known video where it is not clear if kinzhal hit a moving or static ship. So "moving or static" is unclear at this point of time
          I believe I heard of a static test against a barge, though I can no longer even find a link or source for that either.

Comment

It's widely believed that the Russian missile accident involved this nuclear-powered cruise missile, was the 9M730 Burevestnik (NATO reporting name: SSC-X-9 Skyfall).

This is one of the "Wunderwaffen" unveiled by Putin in April 2018.

Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-r...-idUSKCN1UZ2H5
            U.S.-based experts suspect Russia blast involved nuclear-powered missile

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S.-based nuclear experts said on Friday they suspected an accidental blast and radiation release in northern Russia this week occurred during the testing of a nuclear-powered cruise missile vaunted by President Vladimir Putin last year.

The Russian Ministry of Defense, quoted by state-run news outlets, said that two people died and six were injured on Thursday in an explosion of what it called a liquid propellant rocket engine. No dangerous substances were released, it said. Russia’s state nuclear agency Rosatom said early on Saturday that five of its staff members died.

A spokeswoman for Severodvinsk, a city of 185,000 near the test site in the Arkhangelsk region, was quoted in a statement on the municipal website as saying that a “short-term” spike in background radiation was recorded at noon Thursday. The statement was not on the site on Friday.

The Russian Embassy did not immediately respond for comment.

Two experts said in separate interviews with Reuters that a liquid rocket propellant explosion would not release radiation.

They said that they suspected the explosion and the radiation release resulted from a mishap during the testing of a nuclear-powered cruise missile at a facility outside the village of Nyonoksa.

“Liquid fuel missile engines exploding do not give off radiation, and we know that the Russians are working on some kind of nuclear propulsion for a cruise missile,” said Ankit Panda, an adjunct senior fellow with the Federation of American Scientists.

Russia calls the missile the 9M730 Buresvestnik. The NATO alliance has designated it the SSC-X-9 Skyfall.
            Last edited by Ironduke; 10 Aug 19,, 16:09.
            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-r...-idUSKCN1VA0OL
              Russia to nuclear test ban monitor: Test accident not your business

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia told an agency that verifies a ban on nuclear tests that a military test accident in the country’s north this month was none of its business and that handing it any radiation data was voluntary, Interfax news agency reported on Tuesday.

The Vienna-based Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO) said on Monday that two Russian monitoring sites closest to the mysterious explosion went offline days after the blast, soon followed by two more, fuelling suspicions that Russia tampered with them.

The CTBTO said on Tuesday the radioactive-particle sensors of at least one of the four Russian monitoring stations in question were transmitting again.

Rus

sia’s state nuclear agency, Rosatom, has acknowledged that five of its nuclear workers were killed in the Aug. 8 explosion during a rocket engine test near the White Sea in far northern Russia. Two Russian military personnel were also reported to have been killed.

There has been contradictory information about the accident’s consequences. The Defence Ministry initially said background radiation remained normal after the incident, but Russia’s state weather agency said radiation levels in the nearby city of Severodvinsk had risen by up to 16 times.
              "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Turns out that as per usual they have lied all along. First two people died in a "rocket explosion". Oh well stuff happens but then the local town started registering 19times the usual radioactivity - everyone buying iodine etc - as Ironduke's article reports. Then they said 5/6 people - why they could not be sure who knows? Then the Doctors and staff at the local hospitals complained they were not told that their patients were suffering from radioactive exposure (https://www.newsweek.com/russian-nuc...n-risk-1455885) and now it appears from the isotopes that have been detected it must have been a reactor; https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/...rt-says-a67022

HBO may be making a sequel to their Chernobyl series.

Comment

Working...
                X