No announcement yet.

Russian ex-spy critically ill after exposure to a "substance"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another dead Russian, in London. Might be something, might be nothing.

Russian emigre Nikolai Glushkov found dead in London home

Nikolai Glushkov, a Russian businessman the UK refused to extradite to Russia on fraud charges, has died in his London home, his neighbor Pat Egan told CNN.

According to Egan, police knocked on her door in Kingston, southwest London, at 3.30 a.m. local time to ask whether she or her husband had seen or heard anything.

In a statement, British police confirmed they were investigating the death of a man in his 60s in southwest London, but did not identify him.

Police said the death was being treated as unexplained, adding that the counterterrorism team would lead the investigation "as a precaution because of associations that the man is believed to have had."

"There is no evidence to suggest a link to the incident in Salisbury," police added, referring to the poisoning of former Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia.
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/13/europ...ntl/index.html
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
      I note the Muscovite Embassy has made the normal denial noises and normally you never believe something until they deny it. But if it was the Muscovite Government it seems a little like overkill and possibly counterproductive.

To me it doesn't make sense, you don't murder a guy you swapped; Bukovsky was never killed. Litvinenko kind of makes sense because he was still active (particularly in Spanish Mafia inquiries etc) and writing books etc... He escaped as well so an 'example' perhaps had to be made. But perhaps this is just how they role now; kill all 'traitors' regardless of their use or not. There have been a couple of assassinations in Kyiv of Muscovite refugees that have seemed equally senseless.

There is the possibility of an unsanctioned revenge attempt and to me from what I can read in the papers this at present looks the most likely. Apparently Skripal while working for SIS before his arrest was very effective accounting for quite a number of Soviet/Muscovite assets in the West who were either arrested or PNGed. Of course these people would regard his actions as betrayal - it was from their point of view. They may bear grudges. Perhaps one of them is still active in some part of the Muscovite GRU at a senior level? Such a person might be able to exact his revenge without it being sanctioned from above. Perhaps it was enacted merely as a contract killing but with the toxin 'borrowed' from the FSB? I can't say. I never read Skripal's file and don't know who he 'betrayed' or where they are now but I would imagine this is being checked.
      Making an example to their own people

There are some rumours regarding the 'suspicious' deaths of Skripal's Wife from car crash/cancer in 2012 and son, who apparently died of 'liver failure' or a 'car crash' last year while on holiday in St Petersburg with his girlfriend (who lives). Again there are no definite or accurate reports of how either died but a simple register of deaths search would reveal that. It would extremely abnormal for the Muscovites to go after the family - Marina Litvinenko was never a target - she's a dance teacher so why take the risk? Given that Yulia Skripal lives in Moscow why attack her in the UK? Because you have to understand that for them to undertake such an operation is risky. It is something they will undertake lightly and can be very expensive - the pot of tea that Litvinenko drank from alone and the drinks that Lugovoi and Kovtun had alone cost over £100, the polonium must have cost 10's of 1000s of $ (and it was their second attempt - the first dose went down a toilet).
      But somehow both parents and two kids are now and soon will be dead. Whole family.

Another thing i find curious is why the UK govt pointed the finger at Russia so quickly. This happened only three days ago

What has the UK done lately to piss off the Russians, surely Brexit is welcome by them

Comment

There was a Police tent over the sons grave so maybe they are digging up the corpse.

Comment

Made me think of this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Wrath_of_God

..or carrying out extra judicial killings in 3rd countries

Russians don't refer to this guy as Russian for them he is a British spy

Comment

23 'Diplomats' to be expelled; one week to pack. There are 58 Moskal nationals at the Embassy and after Litvinenko 4 'diplomats were expelled. An emergency UNSC meeting is called for this evening.

Comment

GRU Colonel Vladimir Koshelev; "Ukraine’s special forces did it, based on a suggestion from MI5/MI6." Was bound to happen.

Comment

Nikolai Glushkov's death is now a murder investigation; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43433552 Oh dear.

So from what I have heard the UK,US, France and Germany issued some 'joint statement', these 23 "identified intelligence operatives" are going to be PNGed, consultations with allies, 'possible' moves against the dirty money flooding London, breaking high level contact, not sending the Royals to the FIFA World Cup in Muscovy and other unspeakable not military actions (presumably cyber). JJ. Patrick and others argue this is nothing; https://www.byline.com/column/67/article/2090 Is it enough?

I am in two minds in a way. If you have an identified intelligence operative I would think there is much joy to be had from watching him/her and feeding them BS - if not turning them in the long term. I obviously do not know if that is that whole FSB/GRU/SVR staff that was working in London but I would have been inclined to keep a couple of the 'easiest' of the 'known operatives'. Still as it stands it will destroy their current networking operations in the UK and future recruitment for some time. In itself it is the largest percentage expulsion of Staff from an Embassy to the UK ever (nearly 100 USSR Staff were once PNGed but the Embassy had more personnel at the time). So I do not agree that it is necessarily a good idea to throw out ALL the spooks.

As far as the measures in general I do agree it is weak. The Skripals are not the first by far to be murdered in the UK. There is a war in Europe as well unless anyone forgot. Murders on the streets on Kyiv too attributed with evidence to Muscovy. Europe and what we call "the West" is at war; it may be an unpleasant realisation but you have to face facts before you can find solutions. They do not give a flying f*ck because they think their propaganda lies are deluding half of you. This is not a "Cold War"; it is far more dangerous. It is active and ongoing. The UK could justifiably call for Article 5 of the NATO Charter to be enacted. You guys need to recognise that you at war. It is not your fault, just like it is not Ukraine's fault. It's just a fact. Expel the Ambassadors and ALL their staff (the Swiss can deal with it), boycott the World Cup, SWIFT denial, freeze all their assets in every bank in our countries, get on with alternative gas supplies fast (and invest in renewable energy), cyber up and set the basic for NATO defence spending at 2.5%. Ban RT. Close them down and man the borders; if it takes a British Army of the Vistula or the Dnieper so be it. Freedom is not a given. You have to fight for it.

Chamberlain strategy cannot much longer prevail.

Comment

Now they say it might have been the Brits wot done it ; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43446312

Comment

And the winner of the "Russian elections" is.... the Mafia Chekist!

Comment

That's the thing, why have something like this when he has elections on

Comment

There have not been "elections" in Muscovy ever.

Comment

Just to be clear about novichuk agents:

Kremlin propagandist on TV says that Novichok was developed in the USSR, not Russia.

MFA spokeswoman Maria Zakharova previously said novichok agents was not developed either in Russia or the USSR.

Russian government says all of its stock of novichok agents were destroyed last year.

No contradictions here. Please continue as normal.

Comment

Let's give the Russians credit where its due. They've anticipated the UK's actions. This op only has value if the UK goes to NATO which it has.

They are testing the NATO alliance. How well its members stand up for each other. Any cracks ?

Same game plan with NK

Weaken and break those alliances

Originally posted by snapper View Post
                            There is a war in Europe as well unless anyone forgot. Murders on the streets on Kyiv too attributed with evidence to Muscovy. Europe and what we call "the West" is at war; it may be an unpleasant realisation but you have to face facts before you can find solutions. They do not give a flying f*ck because they think their propaganda lies are deluding half of you. This is not a "Cold War"; it is far more dangerous. It is active and ongoing.

Originally posted by - national security strategy 2017 document, pg.27
                            after being dismissed as a phenomenon of an earlier century, great power competition returned. China and Russia began to reassert their influence regionally and globally. Today, they are fielding military capabilities designed to deny America access in times of crisis and to contest our ability to operate freely in critical commercial zones during peacetime. In short, they are contesting our geopolitical advantages and trying to change the international order in their favor.
                            earlier century so much before cold war

The UK could justifiably call for Article 5 of the NATO Charter to be enacted.
                            Tell me what happens after. That's what Russia wants to know
                            Last edited by Double Edge; 19 Mar 18,, 00:47.

Comment

If the Americans didn't ask for ARTICLE 5 over 11 Sept, the Brits won't ask for it over this.
                              Chimo

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DYl8zFPW4AEMTk4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	1476180

Doesn't seem to add up to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X