US Steel & Aluminum Tariffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by antimony View Post
    Sucks to be you guys then, since might is right. Better start making side payments to Don Jrs bank accounts
    Don Jr ain't going to make one cent over this. Trudeau, however, is buying votes from the welfare class using these tarrifs to help pay for their drugs and alcohol. Trudeau has not seen a tax he didn't like.
    Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 07 Jun 18,, 15:16.
    Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
      Don Jr ain't going to make one cent over this. Trudeau, however, is buying votes from the welfare class using these tarrifs to help pay for their drugs and alcohol. Trudeau has not seen a tax he didn't like.
      I have got several bridges to sell you. Look at what India has been doing.

That is exactly the way to deal with the Trump family - buy them off.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...lion-in-sales/

He has been spending the week in a variety of private lunches and dinners with potential buyers and local business leaders as well as enticing buyers to purchase residences in the latest Trump Towers project in Gurgaon, where luxury flats sell for as much as $1.6 million. Full-page glossy advertisements urged buyers paying a booking fee of about $38,000 by Thursday to “join Mr. Donald Trump Jr. for a conversation and dinner” on Friday. Kalpesh Mehta, one of the local developers, told reporters that they had already sold more than $100 million worth of real estate in the towers – $15 million alone on Monday, after the Trump Jr. dinner offer appeared in newspapers.
      "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by antimony View Post
        I have got several bridges to sell you. Look at what India has been doing.
        I'm sure Trudeau will find a way to put a toll on it with or without your ok

Originally posted by antimony View Post
        That is exactly the way to deal with the Trump family - buy them off.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...lion-in-sales/
        $15mil vs $15bil. Yeah, I know who got the better end of that deal and it ain't Don Jr.
        Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by Canmoore View Post
          Had the Mexican, Canadian, and EU governments not have slapped retaliatory tariffs they would have been run out of office faster than you can say peep-pee tape!
          How does this same logic notapply to Trump or other US officials?
          "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• How does this same logic notapply to Trump or other US officials?
            aggressor vs defender. Trump is freer to use the whole "unilaterally declare victory and call things off" method, beloved of the Chinese.
            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
              aggressor vs defender. Trump is freer to use the whole "unilaterally declare victory and call things off" method, beloved of the Chinese.
              Aggression and defense are relative terms. From the POV of the Chinese public the Filipino fishing boats are aggressively invading their rightful territory and China must respond. From the POV of the American public, American industry is under assault from foreign companies and America must respond. Trump is riding an economic nationalist tide that's existed long before Trump was even born.

Either way, I get that it's political, which is why I'm not exactly pissed that Europe is imposing counter-tariffs, or that Trump imposed tariffs in the first place. But I'm not going to go "rah rah go Europe!" because their tariffs are as fucking stupid as the Trump tariffs. They are always stupid.

The exceptions are limited cases. Like if the world, collectively, wants to impose substantial tariffs on China to impose some changes in IP laws or something.

It's also foolish to blame a single person for institutional failures across nations that encompass literally a billion people.
              Last edited by GVChamp; 07 Jun 18,, 22:29.
              "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• Trump is the aggressor toward US allies. Make it clear for you?

Comment

• Full article: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1J40PR

China's ZTE apologizes, pledges reboot after U.S. reprieve

HONG KONG/SHENZHEN (Reuters) - The chairman of ZTE Corp apologized to staff and customers on Friday after the Chinese technology firm agreed to pay a $1 billion fine to the United States to end a ban that has crippled key businesses, including smartphones.

The ban, which traces back to a breach of the U.S. embargo on trade with Iran, had prevented China’s second largest telecoms equipment maker by revenue from buying the U.S. components it relies on to make phones and other devices.

In addition to the fine, ZTE agreed to overhaul its leadership in exchange for lifting the ban. In a memo to staff, Chairman Yin Yimin said ZTE would look to get back into business as soon as possible, and hold those responsible for the breach accountable, a company source said.

“This issue reflects problems that exist with our firm’s compliance culture and at management level,” Yin wrote, according to the source, adding the incident was caused by the mistakes of a few ZTE leaders and employees.

He added the U.S. ban had caused “huge losses for the company” which had been forced to pay a “disastrous price.”

ZTE did not respond to repeated requests for comment.
                  "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Trump is riding an economic nationalist tide that's existed long before Trump was even born.
                    the fervor is not the same. this is essentially an (economic) war of choice, so i suspect political support for Trump imposing tariffs is quite a bit lower than for Trudeau/Nieto/Macron/Abe/etc etc in imposing counter-tariffs.
                    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                      Aggression and defense are relative terms. From the POV of the Chinese public the Filipino fishing boats are aggressively invading their rightful territory and China must respond. From the POV of the American public, American industry is under assault from foreign companies and America must respond. Trump is riding an economic nationalist tide that's existed long before Trump was even born.

Either way, I get that it's political, which is why I'm not exactly pissed that Europe is imposing counter-tariffs, or that Trump imposed tariffs in the first place. But I'm not going to go "rah rah go Europe!" because their tariffs are as fucking stupid as the Trump tariffs. They are always stupid.

The exceptions are limited cases. Like if the world, collectively, wants to impose substantial tariffs on China to impose some changes in IP laws or something.

It's also foolish to blame a single person for institutional failures across nations that encompass literally a billion people.
                      Nobody is holding a gun to Trump's head to slap these tariffs on imports. His top ecomomic adviser quit over this issue. It's foolish to ignore that Trump was the unstable ignorant asshole that put a torch to the fuse, nobody else.

Also, who the hell is going "rah rah go Europe" around here?
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Holy cow, I didn't think anyone could be THIS stupid. With friends like Trump who needs enemies. He actually has the nerve to put in place tariffs and then warns those in question to not dare retaliate or else.

https://www.apnews.com/a2be8832bbe74...ttacks-Trudeau

LA MALBAIE, Quebec (AP) — The annual G-7 summit appeared to have weathered tensions over President Donald Trump’s threats of a tariff-fueled trade war until the mercurial American pulled out of a joint statement while citing “false statements” by Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

It was an unprecedented attack on the leader of the U.S. neighbor and ally.

Trump was aboard Air Force One heading to an historic summit with North Korea’s Kim Jong Un when he issued a pair of tweets Saturday criticizing the G-7 host and stepping back from the generally positive tone that had ended the two-day meeting. A few hours earlier, Trudeau had told reporters that all seven leaders had come together to sign the joint declaration.

Trudeau said he had reiterated to Trump that tariffs would harm industries and workers on both sides of the U.S.-Canada border. He said unleashing retaliatory measures “is not something I relish doing” but that he wouldn’t hesitate to do so because “I will always protect Canadian workers and Canadian interests.”

“As Canadians, we are polite, we’re reasonable, but also we will not be pushed around,” Trudeau said, and he described all seven leaders coming together to sign a joint declaration despite having “some strong, firm conversations on trade, and specifically on American tariffs.”

In the air by then, Trump tweeted: “Based on Justin’s false statements at his news conference, and the fact that Canada is charging massive Tariffs to our U.S. farmers, workers and companies, I have instructed our U.S. Reps not to endorse the Communique as we look at Tariffs on automobiles flooding the U.S. Market!”

He followed up by tweeting: “PM Justin Trudeau of Canada acted so meek and mild during our @G7 meetings only to give a news conference after I left saying that, “US Tariffs were kind of insulting” and he “will not be pushed around.” Very dishonest & weak. Our Tariffs are in response to his of 270% on dairy!”

A spokesman for Trudeau did not address Trump’s insults in a statement. “We are focused on everything we accomplished here at the #G7 summit,” spokesman Cameron Ahmad said. “The Prime Minister said nothing he hasn’t said before — both in public, and in private conversations with the President.”

Reporters asked Trudeau for his reaction as he and his wife and another couple took an evening stroll, but the prime minister begged off. “Good to see you guys ... It’s a beautiful evening, a great weekend,” he said.

Before leaving for Singapore, Trump had delivered a stark warning to America’s trading partners not to counter his decision to impose tariffs on steel and aluminum imports. But Trudeau, whose nation was among those singled out by Trump, pushed back and said he would not hesitate to retaliate against his neighbor to the south.

“If they retaliate, they’re making a mistake,” Trump declared before departing the annual Group of Seven summit, which includes Britain, Italy, France, Germany and Japan.

Trump himself insisted relationships with allies were a “ten” just before he left the summit. But his abbreviated stay at this Quebec resort saw him continuing the same type of tough talk on trade as when he departed the White House, when he accused Trudeau of being “indignant.”

The summit came during an ongoing trade dispute with China and served as a precursor to the unprecedented meeting with Kim, in which Trump has sought to extend a hand to the Asian autocrat who has long bedeviled the international order.

“His message from Quebec to Singapore is that he is going to meld the industrial democracies to his will — and bring back Russia,” said Steve Bannon, Trump’s former campaign and White House adviser. Bannon said China is “now on notice that Trump will not back down from even allies’ complaints in his goal of ‘America First.’”

Speaking on Saturday during a rare solo news conference, Trump said he pressed for the G-7 countries to eliminate all tariffs, trade barriers and subsidies in their trading practices. He reiterated his longstanding view that the U.S. has been taken advantage of in global trade, adding, “We’re like the piggy bank that everybody’s robbing, and that ends.”

He said U.S. farmers had been harmed by tariffs and other barriers and warned that U.S. trading partners would need to provide him with more favorable terms. “It’s going to stop or we’ll stop trading with them,” he said.

Trump cited progress on reaching an agreement on the North American Free Trade Agreement with Canada and Mexico, saying the final outcome would lead either to an improved trade deal or separate pacts with the two U.S. neighbors. Trump said he was discussing two types of sunset provisions in which any of the countries could leave the deal. A Canadian official said the leaders discussed accelerating the pace of the talks.

But Trudeau objected strenuously to a sunset clause of any length. “If you put an expiry date on any trade deal, that’s not a trade deal. That’s our unequivocal position,” he said.

Prior to his arrival on Friday, the president injected additional controversy by suggesting that the G-7 offer a seat at the table to Russia, which was ousted from the group in 2014. Trump said Saturday that re-admitting Russia to the elite club would be “an asset,” telling reporters, “We’re looking for peace in the world.” Trump said he had not spoken with Russian President Vladimir Putin in a while.

Discussing Russia’s absence, Trump made the vague comment that “something happened a while ago where Russia is no longer in. I think it would be an asset to have Russia back in.” In fact, Russia was expelled from what was then the G-8 after it invaded and annexed Crimea and for its support for pro-Russia separatists in Ukraine.

Trump placed the blame on his predecessor, President Barack Obama. “He was the one who let Crimea get away — that was during his administration,” he said, adding: “Obama can say all he wants, but he allowed Russia to take Crimea. I may have had a much different attitude.”

It was not clear what Trump thought Obama should have done to prevent Putin from sending in Russian troops to seize the Black Sea peninsula from neighboring Ukraine.

Trudeau said he told Trump that readmitting Russia “is not something that we are even remotely looking at at this time.”

Comment

• . Our Tariffs are in response to his of 270% on dairy!”
                          Wait a minute. I thought he said our steel and aluminum tariffs were a "National Security" issue?

Comment

• well, considering he pretty much gave every single US ally the middle finger the past few days, with an extra "f*ck you" to Trudeau, i'd say he's the bigger National Security issue...lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                              Wait a minute. I thought he said our steel and aluminum tariffs were a "National Security" issue?
                              Everything can be a national security issue. You can always reason that, in times of war, I want domestic production of [insert goods and services] that cannot be disrupted by foreign powers.

Comment

• When did the Canadian war start?

Comment

Working...
                                X