Stone pelting a conspiracy by Pakistan and its agents in Kashmir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kashmir — finding the way forward

Pak has abused the term "nuclear power/nuclear armed rivals" so much w.r.t Kashmir & India, that no one actually cares. Pashtun volunteers? Yes, my good islamic jihadi writer, keep peddling the terrorist narrative. Your only audience revolves around the likes of COAS PA, DG ISI, Hafiz Saeed, Salahuddin and the likes, and yes - how can we forget imperial China.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Some of the world’s biggest tech companies are still experimenting with using drones to deliver books and pizzas to your doorstep. But heroin smugglers from Pakistan seem to be already airdropping their contraband into Indian villages along the Punjab border with the help of drones.
      According to the senior BSF officials, this is the second innovative method adopted by the smugglers in recent months. Using trained scuba divers to carry contraband across the border through the riverine gaps in the Satluj and Ravi is the other method that is being tracked.
      @ Pakistan drug smugglers skirt border fence with drones
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

The Mess in the Valley – playing into enemy hands

If Pakistan broke the ceasefire within 48 hours of their DGMO proposing it, this should have been more than expected. Two BSF jawans were killed and 12 civilians and a cop killed, while thousands have been affected. The euphoria over the fact that the suggestion for ceasefire came from the side, some attributing the reason to Pakistan being in dire straits financially, others saying Pakistan is wanting peace because of the FATF meet in coming June, was not just naïve but pathetic.

Comment

The Kashmir conundrum as conflict economy theory explained. Sab ko faida means benefit for all.

The question is can anything be done about it ? no good answers but the govt is trying
          Last edited by Double Edge; 16 Jun 18,, 04:23.

Comment

Better interview with Dulat by Vir

Comment

J&K: Two LeT terrorists killed, one surrenders in encounter with security forces in Kulgam

So the surrendered terrorist starts singing, and more terrorists get neutralised. Good!

Comment

Perceptive article from a former Northern Army commander

Change perceptions in J&K (op-ed) | Hindu | Jun 25 2018

In his article, “Between Past and Future: Persistent Conflicts, Collective Memory, and Reconciliation”, Irit Keynan writes: “Ethnic and national conflicts entail two major aspects — defined by scholars as a socio-political aspect and a socio-psychological aspect — with the latter no less crucial than the former... The socio-psychological aspect pertains to a wide range of issues relating to the community, including a community’s sense of identity and self-perceptions, its fears and sense of collective threats, perceived past, and portrayal of its role in the conflict... The socio-political aspect involves issues such as land, natural resources, economic and political dominance. Despite the complexity of the socio-political matters, in situations of intractable conflict it is the socio-psychological aspect, as well as history, that dominates the relationship between the involved adversaries and plays a central role in interpreting and fuelling persistent animosity.”

Israeli scholar Daniel Bar-Tal writes in his paper, “Overcoming Psychological Barriers to Peace Making: The Influence of Mediating Beliefs about Losses”: “In (prolonged and violent) conflicts the involved societies evolve [a] culture of conflict of which the dominant parts are societal beliefs of collective memories and of ethos of conflict, as well as collective emotional orientation... These narratives are selective, biased and distorted as their major function is to satisfy the societal needs rather than provide [an] objective account of reality.”

A similar situation is evident in J&K. In Kashmir, perceptions have been generated of a government being at war with its people. Given this reality, it should be clear that issues like good governance and development, while important, need to be accompanied by measures that address the socio-psychological aspects of the people of all regions of the State. This has been a key weakness in our approach, and the separatists, along with some politicians, have made the situation worse by continuously exploiting existing societal beliefs and collective memory, rather than pointing to their dangers.

The government also needs to embark on a strong perception-changing programme that challenges the existing narratives, brings out the horrific cost of conflict to the people and the benefits of peace and cooperative relations. Concrete steps by the government are a must. We often think of social media as the answer to all our perception-shaping issues but without follow-up action, the impact of social media can soon fade.

The conflict in J&K defies simple solutions. Among the many actions required to be taken on the military, economic, political and social fronts, dealing with the psychological aspects of affected communities is critical. Memories and perceptions are perhaps the biggest hindrances to reconciliation and must be addressed by showing greater empathy.
                Last edited by Double Edge; 29 Jun 18,, 13:01.

Comment

The Art of Strategic Messaging and Video of Surgical Strike

Comment

interesting article, i agree its not about our elections in 2019 ie for domestic PR and that its to do with the internal situation in Kashmir. The part that took me aback is in part us releasing the video now is aimed at reducing public support for terror in Pakistan. Meaning its directed at the Paks as a warning not to step up attacks in the run up to THEIR election to be held this month end. Not disagreeing but i'd not seen that angle earlier and explains why now instead of shortly after the strike when people were asking for proof etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                      interesting article, i agree its not about our elections in 2019 ie for domestic PR and that its to do with the internal situation in Kashmir. The part that took me aback is in part us releasing the video now is aimed at reducing public support for terror in Pakistan. Meaning its directed at the Paks as a warning not to step up attacks in the run up to THEIR election to be held this month end. Not disagreeing but i'd not seen that angle earlier and explains why now instead of shortly after the strike when people were asking for proof etc.
                      Took me by surprise too. So you agree on something, after say a year? :D

Comment

Interesting interview with a journalist that followed Kargil up close. Her book 'A soldiers diary' written back in 200 was based on army 'action taken' reports which painted a very different picture to what the public were told at the time

Last edited by Double Edge; 04 Aug 18,, 21:46.

Comment

Article 35A is injurious to entire India

Endorse completely.

Comment

Good idea but can't use it regularly

Jammu and Kashmir policemen disguise as stone pelters to catch real culprits | HT | Sept 07 2018

The Jammu and Kashmir Police Friday adopted a fresh strategy of nabbing stone pelters by planting its men among them at historic Jama Masjid downtown to arrest the real culprits in action.

After the Friday prayers today, a mob started pelting stones at police and CRPF personnel but there was no retaliation this time and not even a single teargas shell was lobbed or baton charge initiated by the law enforcing force.

As the crowd swelled to over 100 people and two chronic stone pelters started leading the agitation, the first tear gas shell was lobbed at the mob dispersing them.

However, to the surprise of the two stone pelters, who were leading the mob, they were grabbed by policemen, covertly placed in the crowd, and whisked away in waiting vehicles.

The policemen, who disguised as stone pelters, brandished toy guns to scare others while the duo were taken to the police station.

Perplexed by the development, the stone pelters ended the protest early today as they were caught unaware of the police strategy.

This strategy was earlier executed in 2010 when scores of policemen were deployed in the mob to identify and arrested stone pelters in the area.
                            Last edited by Double Edge; 08 Sep 18,, 00:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                              Good read

People always hammer Nehru about Kashmir. But its clear thanks to the work of the chronicler Avtar Singh Bhasin that the Anglo american combine exerted significant pressure. It's only when the Soviets start to cover for us at the UNSC that we start to breathe easier.

Gilgit Baltistan was seen as a physical & ideological barrier to soviet expansion southwards ?? who knew. That's how we lost our route to Afghanistan and today have to work around it : /

He's also given some background to Rohingyas in Kashmir and this helps me understand our recent surprisingly harsh refusal to allow them entry to India.
                              Last edited by Double Edge; 08 Sep 18,, 01:42.

Comment

David Devdas has been covering Kashmir for a while now. His takes don't sit easily with a lot of people. They disagree with him but have to grudgingly accept what he says

To Kashmiris Who Grew up During the 1990s, India Was the Army | The Wire | Jul 08 2018

Comment

Working...
                                X