Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 91

Thread: The Coming India-Russia Split

  1. #16
    Rickshaw Professional Senior Contributor Pedicabby's Avatar
    Join Date
    05 Feb 07
    Location
    Location Location
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironduke View Post
    I had to take rickshaws everywhere

    The only way to travel!

  2. #17
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    03 Sep 17
    Posts
    1,008
    Where else is India going to get state-of-the-art weapons?

  3. #18
    Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Sep 10
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    7,729
    Quote Originally Posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    Where else is India going to get state-of-the-art weapons?
    From others, Russia's share of the pie will reduce not grow unless they somehow dramatically improve on delivery schedules

    The General in the video posted made it clear, during the 60s - 80s, there was no problem because it was one country, post 90s there were fifteen states with production spread all over. Terms became difficult, schedules slipped while costs increased

    Weapons is a niche industry for Russia, if oil prices peak around 2025 their primary source of income is going to dwindle a decade from now. Nothing is changing there, the people in charge think things are not so bad to make any changes. Talk about structural reforms for over a decade now all hot air

    Given how interminably long the whole arms buying decisions are anything agreed on today is ready a decade from now. Why is India going to continue to order from Russia in that case
    Last edited by Double Edge; 30 Jan 18, at 20:18.

  4. #19
    Senior Contributor anil's Avatar
    Join Date
    20 Sep 12
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    Where else is India going to get state-of-the-art weapons?
    A prototype industry already exists in india but mass production has been a problem. The indian govt has not been able to get the private sector on board.

    For eg: The indian govt wants to mass produce an indian fighter jet prototype (tejas) but no one in the indian private sector knows how to proceed with it. So the govt is forcing the prototype industry to mass produce it.

  5. #20
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    03 Sep 17
    Posts
    1,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    From others, Russia's share of the pie will reduce not grow unless they somehow dramatically improve on delivery schedules

    The General in the video posted made it clear, during the 60s - 80s, there was no problem because it was one country, post 90s there were fifteen states with production spread all over. Terms became difficult, schedules slipped while costs increased

    Weapons is a niche industry for Russia, if oil prices peak around 2025 their primary source of income is going to dwindle a decade from now. Nothing is changing there, the people in charge think things are not so bad to make any changes. Talk about structural reforms for over a decade now all hot air

    Given how interminably long the whole arms buying decisions are anything agreed on today is ready a decade from now. Why is India going to continue to order from Russia in that case
    None of the other sellers are going to disrupt the Indo-Pak balance while Pakistan is actively seeking Chinese J-20s. Also, Russia is the only one offerring battle management systems and training.

  6. #21
    Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Aug 03
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    11,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedicabby View Post
    The only way to travel!
    Not when you're being charge 300 Rs. for a 4km drive. That happened once, my first trip, from the bus terminal in old downtown to UB City. After I found out the legal rate, I would only allow the rickshaw drivers to charge me a 50% premium on top of the legal rate. :-)
    Last edited by Ironduke; 30 Jan 18, at 22:18.

  7. #22
    Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Sep 10
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    7,729
    Quote Originally Posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    None of the other sellers are going to disrupt the Indo-Pak balance while Pakistan is actively seeking Chinese J-20s.
    What is the connection between other sellers and j-20. And what after J-20.

    Do sellers first consider what Pakistan is doing or close the contract with a bigger buyer

    Also, Russia is the only one offerring battle management systems and training.
    Things can change. Right now, Russia has been very important that it is inconceivable to think otherwise

    If the world wants India as a partner then they're going to have to show their interest
    Last edited by Double Edge; 30 Jan 18, at 23:33.

  8. #23
    Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Sep 10
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    7,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironduke View Post
    Not when you're being charge 300 Rs. for a 4km drive. That happened once, my first trip, from the bus terminal in old downtown to UB City. After I found out the legal rate, I would only allow the rickshaw drivers to charge me a 50% premium on top of the legal rate. :-)
    What time of day did you take this trip ?

    50% over the meter only applies after 9pm or if it suddenly starts pouring heavily.

    I've had friends visit me from abroad. Blonde hair or white means the rates jump 100%. So i'd tell them to wait several metres down the road. I'd hail a rick, then stop and pick them up.

    Loved the look on the bastards faces after : D

  9. #24
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    03 Sep 17
    Posts
    1,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    What is the connection between other sellers and j-20. And what after J-20.
    I don't know but you're involved with the FA project right now and is on schedule for delivery if you should undertake production.

    Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    Do sellers first consider what Pakistan is doing or close the contract with a bigger buyer
    Look at what they're currently offerring. Only Russia is offerring bleeding edge.

    Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    Things can change. Right now, Russia has been very important that it is inconceivable to think otherwise

    If the world wants India as a partner then they're going to have to show their interest
    Worry about today. Let tomorrow take care of tomorrow.

  10. #25
    Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Aug 03
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    11,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    What time of day did you take this trip ?

    50% over the meter only applies after 9pm or if it suddenly starts pouring heavily.

    I've had friends visit me from abroad. Blonde hair or white means the rates jump 100%. So i'd tell them to wait several metres down the road. I'd hail a rick, then stop and pick them up.

    Loved the look on the bastards faces after : D
    Early afternoon, bright and sunny out.

  11. #26
    Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Sep 10
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    7,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironduke View Post
    Early afternoon, bright and sunny out.
    heh, yeah. Figured out of towner and lucked out. This happens even with people that are from out of state let alone from abroad. Brutal. Pure market at play. Buyer beware bla bla.

    The contrast with how regimented NYC is compared to Bangalore. They can't refuse you if its to any of the 5 boroughs. The meter is fixed. If you find it isn't they lose their shield.

    Here its more free, the driver decides if he wants to go there depending on how busy, they usually go by the meter but it can be rigged to run 20% faster. Usually business hours are the easiest with ricks. Outside those hours its trickier, end of the day is tough but hailing on a busy road will always be better than a quiet one.

    More competition makes them more agreeable. Allowing a few thousand more ricks say or cabs.

    I'm surprised smartphones can distance track fairly well. On the odd few trips i've taken the odometer hasn't been too far off
    Last edited by Double Edge; 31 Jan 18, at 00:32.

  12. #27
    Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Sep 10
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    7,729
    Quote Originally Posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    I don't know but you're involved with the FA project right now and is on schedule for delivery if you should undertake production.
    Sounds like a good deal if it ever happens. Recall there being a thread on the board about it

    India undertaking production is similar to what the Israelis want to do as well

    Look at what they're currently offerring. Only Russia is offerring bleeding edge.

    Worry about today. Let tomorrow take care of tomorrow.
    Has India expressed interest with other sellers ? why assume the door is always shut

  13. #28
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    03 Sep 17
    Posts
    1,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    Has India expressed interest with other sellers ? why assume the door is always shut
    Simple. Delivery schedules. You don't want the F-35 when the X-wing comes on line.

  14. #29
    Senior Contributor anil's Avatar
    Join Date
    20 Sep 12
    Location
    Mumbai
    Posts
    777
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    If the world wants India as a partner then they're going to have to show their interest
    Haha it does not work that way. Your understanding of the world order is flawed at the foundational level.

    Geopolitics is not laissez faire capitalism. No one is going to break the balance FOR YOU. Do you understand what it means to cancel a balance?

  15. #30
    Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Sep 10
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    7,729
    Quote Originally Posted by anil View Post
    Haha it does not work that way. Your understanding of the world order is flawed at the foundational level.
    ya, work harder on increasing your input in this place. We're all dying for you to enlighten us. Stick your neck out some more.

    Geopolitics is not laissez faire capitalism. No one is going to break the balance FOR YOU. Do you understand what it means to cancel a balance?
    They have been courting India rather ferociously in the last few years. The nuke deal is just one example for you. We are amongst the top arms customers out there. yeah, we matter.

    What fickin' balance ? the world wants to maintain an Indo -pak balance but the India - China one does not matter.

    This you want me to believe ?
    Last edited by Double Edge; 31 Jan 18, at 13:26.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 01 Dec 16,, 14:15
  2. Russia cancels wargames with India
    By commander in forum International Defense and Terrorism Topics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02 Jun 11,, 17:21
  3. India-Russia ties rejuvenated
    By KenMac in forum International Politics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08 Dec 08,, 12:24
  4. India May Split Fighter Buy Between MiG-35 and Western Fighter
    By outofshdw in forum Military Aviation
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28 Feb 07,, 05:54
  5. India to acquire 400 more tanks from Russia
    By bull in forum Ground Warfare
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 30 Jul 05,, 17:00

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •