Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 57

Thread: Syria

  1. #31
    Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Aug 03
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    10,701
    Russian fighter jet shot down in Syria's Idlib province

    A Russian Sukhoi-25 fighter jet has been shot down in a rebel-held area in Syria's north-western province of Idlib.

    The Russian defence ministry said the pilot had ejected but was killed in a ground fight.

    Video posted on social media appeared to show the plane being hit, while other video showed burning wreckage on the ground, with a red star on a wing.

    Russia has acted alongside its Syrian allies targeting rebels in the area.

    Syrian government troops launched a major offensive around Idlib in late December, backed by Russian jets. The UN says some 100,000 civilians have been displaced.

    The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group said there had been dozens of Russian air strikes in the area over the past 24 hours.

    Russia's defence ministry said the pilot had survived the crash but was killed by "terrorists" on the ground. It said it was making all possible efforts to retrieve the body.

    There are several reports that Russia has now fired cruise missiles into Idlib province from navy vessels in the Mediterranean.

    It is not yet known which group shot the plane down. One social media video posting showed a body said to be that of the pilot.

    However, the Russian defence ministry said the plane had come down in an area controlled by the al-Qaeda linked jihadist group Jabhat Fateh al-Sham.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42932616

  2. #32
    Senior Contributor Toby's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Nov 16
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,479
    If Turkey had armed a militia in say Mexico that directly threatened US internal security. Hmm I wonder what the US would do....?
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
    Marcus Aurelius

  3. #33
    Contributor
    Join Date
    03 Sep 17
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    If Turkey had armed a militia in say Mexico that directly threatened US internal security. Hmm I wonder what the US would do....?
    The same thing the US is doing against the drug cartels, low intensity warfare.

  4. #34
    Senior Contributor Toby's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Nov 16
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,479
    Quote Originally Posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    The same thing the US is doing against the drug cartels, low intensity warfare.
    and if Mexico was a failed state with extreme factions coming to the fore....Would it (the US) use the same tactic?
    Last edited by Toby; 03 Feb 18, at 19:17.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
    Marcus Aurelius

  5. #35
    Contributor
    Join Date
    03 Sep 17
    Posts
    387
    First off, the US is not Russia nor Turkey. It's rich enough to make sure that Mexico would not become a failed state.

  6. #36
    Senior Contributor Toby's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Nov 16
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,479
    Quote Originally Posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    First off, the US is not Russia nor Turkey. It's rich enough to make sure that Mexico would not become a failed state.
    But not rich enough to stabilise Syria.
    So if the US had the middle east on its southern border with all its religious, political and ethnic complexities, wouldn't it look at creating a buffer? I know I would, which is all the Turks are doing.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
    Marcus Aurelius

  7. #37
    Contributor
    Join Date
    03 Sep 17
    Posts
    387
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    But not rich enough to stabilise Syria.
    Not an American problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    So if the US had the middle east on its southern border with all its religious, political and ethnic complexities, wouldn't it look at creating a buffer? I know I would, which is all the Turks are doing.
    It's far more complex than that and one the British helped create. The Turks did squat all against ISIL because they were anti-Kurd.

  8. #38
    Regular
    Join Date
    27 Jan 17
    Posts
    36
    So whats the take here on Turkey invading Manbij with US forces present? Will it happen?

  9. #39
    Contributor
    Join Date
    03 Sep 17
    Posts
    387
    They will come up right up to a US checkpoint and no more.

  10. #40
    Resident Curmudgeon Military Professional Gun Grape's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Mar 05
    Location
    Panama City Fl
    Posts
    8,599
    I don't blame the Turks. The US has been playing this Kurds are good/bad guys BS since the late 90s. Turkey finally had enough. They also know that once the threat has diminished in the south, the Kurds will head north. Better to quash them in Syria then wait till they are attacking at home.

    Or as the State Dept briefed us long ago. If you see armed groups and they are headed south, its Kurdish freedom fighters, if they are headed north they are PKK. Provide support for those going south (keep Saddam's army away) report those going North. But don't engage.
    Its called Tourist Season. So why can't we shoot them?

  11. #41
    Senior Contributor Toby's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Nov 16
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,479
    Quote Originally Posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    Not an American problem.
    Didn't the US coalition remove Saddam which led to all this?

    It's far more complex than that
    Just making the point that No civilised country would handle the situation any different if they had an extremist insurgency on their border.

    and one the British helped create
    Syria was a French mandate along with the Lebanon. But I get your point.

    The Turks did squat all against ISIL because they were anti-Kurd.
    Of course they're anti Kurd, So are the Iraqi's and the Iranians and so is Assad's Syria
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
    Marcus Aurelius

  12. #42
    Senior Contributor Toby's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Nov 16
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,479
    Quote Originally Posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    They will come up right up to a US checkpoint and no more.
    and the Kurds get screwed over again. A people with no nation and yeh you're right we the Brits did that..it stinks!
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
    Marcus Aurelius

  13. #43
    Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Aug 03
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    10,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Didn't the US coalition remove Saddam which led to all this?
    The civil war that broke out in Syria in 2011 had nothing to do with ISIS. It was a result of the revolutionary wave sweeping the Arab world during the Arab Spring. While ISIS is blowback from the Iraq War, and it did take advantage of the Syrian Civil War, it did not cause the Syrian Civil War.

  14. #44
    Senior Contributor Toby's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Nov 16
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironduke View Post
    The civil war that broke out in Syria in 2011 had nothing to do with ISIS. It was a result of the revolutionary wave sweeping the Arab world during the Arab Spring. While ISIS is blowback from the Iraq War, and it did take advantage of the Syrian Civil War, it did not cause the Syrian Civil War.
    Hard to know what triggered the Arab spring...was it social media led? i.e taking full advantage of the negative undercurrents within the Arab sphere of influence. I don't for one minute pretend to know. But yeh it does look like a perfect storm. One which the US is also fully responsible for ..not just the UK and France and everybody else that is flavour of the month to blame!
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
    Marcus Aurelius

  15. #45
    Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Aug 03
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    10,701
    A fruit vendor lit himself on fire in Tunisia in protest of repeated harassment by Tunisian police, having been forced to pay bribes, and having his wares confiscated when he did not have the money to pay yet another bribe. Combined with an already existing atmosphere of extreme discontent on the part of the people against their government, this event led to a wave of protests that toppled the Tunisian government. From there the unrest and protests spread to other Arab states, including Syria, where there existed a similar atmosphere of discontent.

    The conditions already existed, and had for quite a long time, and the Arab world was a powder keg. The self-immolation of the fruit vendor was the spark that set things in motion.

    ISIS had nothing to do with the outbreak of the Syrian Civil War. Neither does the Iraq War of 2003-2011. ISIS merely took advantage of the chaos and the vacuum of power that came to exist in a country that was already in a state of civil war.
    Last edited by Ironduke; 04 Feb 18, at 23:59.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Syria
    By tankie in forum The Middle East and North Africa
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 22 Jun 11,, 16:52
  2. Syria and the collapse
    By cyppok in forum Arab Protests of 2010-2011
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 27 Apr 11,, 04:22
  3. US and Syria
    By Merlin in forum International Politics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 29 Jul 09,, 19:35
  4. Syria seeking new Su-30s
    By Ironduke in forum The Middle East and North Africa
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 19 Mar 07,, 19:19
  5. Israel-Syria-USA at war?
    By bigross86 in forum The Middle East and North Africa
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 17 Aug 03,, 20:04

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •