Page 1 of 12 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 167

Thread: Schumer's Shutdown

  1. #1
    Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Contrary by Nature.
    zraver's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Oct 06
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,986

    Schumer's Shutdown

    Schumer will deny 9 million kids medical care and 40 million food over illegal immigrants, but not for criminal justice reform that would return tens of thousands of non-violent primarily men of color drug abusers to their children. H ewill throw hundreds of thousands of government workers out of work and make our troops in uniform battle without pay, in order to -protect the visa lottery, but not to advance economic policies that would empower Black Americans.... let that sink in.

    So tonight at midnight some 50 million American citizens get thrown under the bus as hostages to 800,000 or so illegal aliens the Dems have prioritized over them. This includes 40 million or so people who need SNAP benefits to eat. Also includes 9 million kids who rely on the CHIP program to see a doctor, during the peak of a flu season that is being particularly harsh on pediatric patients. Several million government workers and contractors who don't have a job at midnight, or who may have to work but wont get paid. Then of course our troops in uniform, some of them now even risk having to die in combat while not getting paid. The Dems would rather cause as much pain as possible to the citizen rather than secure the border. On the plus side, this will help the GOP in non-coastal house district races this fall. The Dems are showing front page that they do not care about the citizen, its only political power that matters to them.

    It is not even really about the dreamers but about preserving the visa lottery and chain migration which the Dems see as a path forward to eternal electoral domination over Conservative America. They tipped their hand in the 2016 election when they crowed about how demographic changes insured Trump didn't have a chance. They were wrong then, but the demographic trends are real. Changes to immigration policy that prioritize skills and need over skin color threaten this play. Better to endanger millions than risk losing long term power seems to be the bet Schumer is making. I hope he and his coterie of anti-citizen senators pay for it in the fall.

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    Join Date
    23 Aug 05
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    13,721
    It is not even really about the dreamers but about preserving the visa lottery and chain migration which the Dems see as a path forward to eternal electoral domination over Conservative America
    you realize that the deal which Schumer and Graham presented to Trump eliminated both the visa lottery AND prevented the DREAMers from sponsoring their parents for citizenship, yes?

    and you realize that Republicans could, at any time over the last 4 months, brought up CHIP as a clean bill instead of tying it to this budget process, yes?
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

  3. #3
    Senior Contributor surfgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Nov 09
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,678
    You do realize there is not any immediate DACA deadline that would prevent the CR? It is a Schumer/Democrat power play.

  4. #4
    Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    Join Date
    23 Aug 05
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    13,721
    It is a Schumer/Democrat power play.
    the GOP chose to weaponize the budget during the Obama era, so again, if GOP decides it needs Democratic support, it will need to make concessions to Democratic priorities. BTW, this wouldn't have been an issue had Trump not gotten rid of DACA in the first place. the Dems certainly made concessions in the original Schumer/Graham compromise-- Trump got literally everything he asked for prior.

    this shouldn't be very hard, as both Trump and the GOP say they supposedly want to help the DREAMers. as it is, both Congressional GOP and Congressional Dems are at an impasse because they simply don't know what Trump -wants-. From Mitch McConnell: "I’m looking for something that President Trump supports, and he’s not yet indicated what measure he’s willing to sign. As soon as we figure out what he is for, then I will be convinced that we were not just spinning our wheels.”
    Last edited by astralis; 20 Jan 18, at 04:27.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

  5. #5
    Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 09
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    3,616
    Schumer's shutdown. Well that was a nice try however it is almost always the party in control of the legislature that got the blame in the past. This time the WH, Senate and House are all Rep controlled. It will be the Republicans that get blamed as most people always look to those, in charge, to blame. That will be how it plays out like it or not.

    Besides did not McConnell say his goal in 2008 was to make sure Obama was a one term President. Pretty audacious I would think and now that he needs help from the Democrats to get to 60 he is puzzled he can't get a break?

  6. #6
    Senior Contributor DOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Mar 11
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,900
    Quote Originally Posted by zraver View Post
    Schumer will ...
    Wow.
    Thanks for the wake-up call.
    In all honesty, I missed this by a mile!
    Did Chuck Schumer change parties, or did a couple of GOPer senators see the light and join the Democratic Party?

    Oh, and can you provide us with a citation on this, or did it come from the usual place?
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

  7. #7
    Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Contrary by Nature.
    zraver's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Oct 06
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,986
    Quote Originally Posted by astralis View Post
    you realize that the deal which Schumer and Graham presented to Trump eliminated both the visa lottery AND prevented the DREAMers from sponsoring their parents for citizenship, yes?
    The Graham/Durbin proposal did not meet the 4 agreed to pillars. It simply moved the chits around and was an end run around the group of four agreed to previously. It was a bad deal, Durbin knew it and thats why he blew the process up.

    and you realize that Republicans could, at any time over the last 4 months, brought up CHIP as a clean bill instead of tying it to this budget process, yes?
    Wait tying an appropriations measure to an appropriations bill is wrong? The House passed the budget back in September. The Senate Dems have been blocking it.

  8. #8
    Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Contrary by Nature.
    zraver's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Oct 06
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,986
    Quote Originally Posted by tbm3fan View Post
    Schumer's shutdown. Well that was a nice try however it is almost always the party in control of the legislature that got the blame in the past. This time the WH, Senate and House are all Rep controlled. It will be the Republicans that get blamed as most people always look to those, in charge, to blame. That will be how it plays out like it or not.

    Besides did not McConnell say his goal in 2008 was to make sure Obama was a one term President. Pretty audacious I would think and now that he needs help from the Democrats to get to 60 he is puzzled he can't get a break?
    Dems are gonna eat this one. In 13 they called the GOP terrorists for daring to attached a policy disagreement to a fiscal bill. DEm hypocrisy is on full display and the polls are reflecting it. By a margin of 2:1 people are blaming the Dems.

  9. #9
    Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Contrary by Nature.
    zraver's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Oct 06
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,986
    Quote Originally Posted by astralis View Post
    the GOP chose to weaponize the budget during the Obama era, so again, if GOP decides it needs Democratic support, it will need to make concessions to Democratic priorities. BTW, this wouldn't have been an issue had Trump not gotten rid of DACA in the first place. the Dems certainly made concessions in the original Schumer/Graham compromise-- Trump got literally everything he asked for prior.

    this shouldn't be very hard, as both Trump and the GOP say they supposedly want to help the DREAMers. as it is, both Congressional GOP and Congressional Dems are at an impasse because they simply don't know what Trump -wants-. From Mitch McConnell: "I’m looking for something that President Trump supports, and he’s not yet indicated what measure he’s willing to sign. As soon as we figure out what he is for, then I will be convinced that we were not just spinning our wheels.”
    Trump won on a couple of key pillars, immigration was one of them.

  10. #10
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    12 Aug 08
    Location
    UK/Europe
    Posts
    4,938
    When you have control of Congress and a "stable genius" President who boasts about how great he is at 'making deals' it seems a little trite to blame others for what is essentially your responsibility.

  11. #11
    Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    Join Date
    23 Aug 05
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    13,721
    It was a bad deal, Durbin knew it and thats why he blew the process up.
    no, -Trump- did. he could have accepted the deal and made a case to the Congressional GOP, he chose not to. Durbin doesn't have power or influence over GOP legislative members, last time I checked. in any case Schumer went back to him with an even better offer last second to more fully fund his precious wall, and -Trump- still rejected it.

    even now, Trump hasn't actually explained what he wants from negotiations.

    Wait tying an appropriations measure to an appropriations bill is wrong? The House passed the budget back in September. The Senate Dems have been blocking it.
    CHIP could have been renewed on a long-term basis any time since it expired, or for that matter before. the only reason why it wasn't, was precisely because the GOP wanted to use it as a bargaining chip.

    By a margin of 2:1 people are blaming the Dems.
    lol no

    http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...down-than-dems
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

  12. #12
    Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 09
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    3,616
    Quote Originally Posted by zraver View Post
    Dems are gonna eat this one. In 13 they called the GOP terrorists for daring to attached a policy disagreement to a fiscal bill. DEm hypocrisy is on full display and the polls are reflecting it. By a margin of 2:1 people are blaming the Dems.
    Wait a second did marijuana get approved for public use in Arkansas?

    Only true believers, like you, are going to believe the Dems are responsible. That leaves the great majority to be normal people and as I said normal people blame those in charge. The lower middle class Dems, who crossed over for Trump, crossed over for economic reasons first and foremost. Trump needs them more than true believers yet they haven't seen any benefits of the soaring stock market. They have also failed to see the so called guy who can get things and make things work in Washington.

    You know Trump is very aware of ratings. He always maintained that his show The Apprentice always had great ratings which of course it didn't over time. When your ratings decline you get canceled. Now Trump is playing the role of apprentice in the White House and it shows. One year of pretty much chaos and if followed by three more years of chaos, most likely, his ratings are going to decline as people get bored with the same old show. Unlike TV where how many eyeballs is what matters, in politics what matters more is how many of those eyeballs will vote for you and four years of chaos doesn't sell well so the guy in charge needs to be dumped. Human nature, fact of life, call it what you will.

    By the way cite those independent polls showing 2:1 please. So far I've seen one that has it almost the opposite and one that had it neck and neck.

    Oh, 2013 is now an old memory and getting older for most.

  13. #13
    Senior Contributor surfgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Nov 09
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,678
    2013 is still very fresh in how Democrats treated our veterans!
    https://americanmilitarynews.com/201...ment-shutdown/

    That “woman’s march” being held today, if it were a Tea Party group during a Democrat Administration would be told that the Mall was closed to demonstrations due to the shutdown.

  14. #14
    Senior Contributor antimony's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Feb 08
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,136
    Quote Originally Posted by zraver View Post
    Schumer will deny 9 million kids medical care and 40 million food over illegal immigrants, but not for criminal justice reform that would return tens of thousands of non-violent primarily men of color drug abusers to their children. H ewill throw hundreds of thousands of government workers out of work and make our troops in uniform battle without pay, in order to -protect the visa lottery, but not to advance economic policies that would empower Black Americans.... let that sink in.

    So tonight at midnight some 50 million American citizens get thrown under the bus as hostages to 800,000 or so illegal aliens the Dems have prioritized over them. This includes 40 million or so people who need SNAP benefits to eat. Also includes 9 million kids who rely on the CHIP program to see a doctor, during the peak of a flu season that is being particularly harsh on pediatric patients. Several million government workers and contractors who don't have a job at midnight, or who may have to work but wont get paid. Then of course our troops in uniform, some of them now even risk having to die in combat while not getting paid. The Dems would rather cause as much pain as possible to the citizen rather than secure the border. On the plus side, this will help the GOP in non-coastal house district races this fall. The Dems are showing front page that they do not care about the citizen, its only political power that matters to them.

    It is not even really about the dreamers but about preserving the visa lottery and chain migration which the Dems see as a path forward to eternal electoral domination over Conservative America. They tipped their hand in the 2016 election when they crowed about how demographic changes insured Trump didn't have a chance. They were wrong then, but the demographic trends are real. Changes to immigration policy that prioritize skills and need over skin color threaten this play. Better to endanger millions than risk losing long term power seems to be the bet Schumer is making. I hope he and his coterie of anti-citizen senators pay for it in the fall.
    Your party controls the EXecutive and Legislature. Why the hell is your own party not united in this?
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

  15. #15
    Senior Contributor surfgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Nov 09
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,678
    It takes 60 senatorial votes. Of course you should know this!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. US Government Shutdown
    By Minskaya in forum American Politics & Economy
    Replies: 450
    Last Post: 11 Nov 13,, 04:48
  2. Shutdown fears grow as budget deadline nears
    By Doktor in forum American Politics & Economy
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 12 Apr 11,, 08:24
  3. Egypt Web shutdown is coordinated, extensive
    By Ironduke in forum Arab Protests of 2010-2011
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30 Jan 11,, 10:44
  4. The real story- endgame in the West. Can Iran shutdown EU & US ?
    By Herc the Merc in forum The Iranian Question
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 16 Mar 10,, 05:42
  5. Hume vs Schumer and Graham
    By Shek in forum International Economy
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26 Sep 06,, 05:00

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •